Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner

1 - 20 of 201 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am very worried... I purchased (3) New Mercedes Metris cargo vans and all 3 vans NOW have about 8k -11k and are wearing out the tire tread on the front very fast and the rear also but not as fast!! The rear has no camber adjust so I am thinking these tires must be real junk I've rotated them and checked wheelstud tightness,
These are the HANCOOK tires on the nice spoke rims. I just had 2 of the vans go back to the dealer and they replaced the tires thank god... They said the alignment was off just a little .These Vans carry very little load and are driven by responsible service technicians, I have 17 other vehicles (non mercedes) that average 30-40k per tire with ford vans that have 300k . I do all the service work so I take care of service on all my vehicles except in an instance as this!
I am worried that since the alignment was not out of spec too much that these tires must be the problem,,Everyone start to take notice of your tire tread outer, I hope this is a fluke!

·
Registered
250 Posts
At the times I purchased new Benzes, the dealers mentioned that I should return within a year for an alignment at no charge as the suspension " settles" after a few thousand miles. I was not told this when buying the Metris but did return it and was told it was covered for 12 months.
In general, outside tire wear is due to excessive toe or camber.

·
Registered
83 Posts
My tires were doing the same thing. Service did an alignment, and corrected toe. The rear tires have a lot more tread, and look good. The front look like they should be on an old hoopty. I think the alignment being slightly off was the main problem. I agree Hankooks are total garbage. I have never had Hankooks, and never again. Also after the alignment hardly any wheel scrubbing while turning sharp.

·
Registered
2,184 Posts
Mine has been aligned 3 times and is out of alignment again, or rather wearing uneven again. I am beginning to think it's not really an alignment issue so much as my tending to throw my van around corners at speeds most sports sedan drivers don't try combined with my proclivity for sharp u-turns mixed with a **** tire that scrubs too much under such maneuvers.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I will let you ALL know the outcome. Its possible that Mercedes has figured the wrong camber adjust conservatively. If the new tires wear again in under 10k with rotation at 5k..Mercedes will have to take responsibility here. The good thing here is that the drivers of the 3 Metris vans are mature auto buffs and take care of driving carefully around corners without speeding so if all 3 vans same purchase date and mileage (1 being from another STATE) are identical this should be easy to troubleshoot.. What good is the gas mileage if your P****ng $$ for new tires every 10k. What gets my a** is that how long have automakers been building vehicles ?
don;t they do tests that you always see and read about? they don't look at the tires?

·
Registered
16 Posts
I am having the same issue with the front tires wearing out. At 15K the front tires are much more worn than the rears and are wearing unevenly. The service rep at the dealership asked me when I brought it in if it was front wheel drive (they still know nothing about the Metris). The other issue I'm having with the tires is they don't seem to hold air. Around mid April I had them filled to specifications, and already they are down to 40lbs---about 10%. All 4 of them, not just one, so that is cannot be an issue with a screw/nail in them. That doesn't seem normal to me.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I just had mine in for the A-Service and was paying particular attention to tire wear due to my fairly heavy constant load. My service advisor made a specific point to look over the edges of the tires with me and they all look good and the measurements recorded during the service back this up. She said that they had been warrantying tire replacement due to excessive edge wear on some early examples as they apparently came from the factory with improper alignment. I've had mine just over a year so I assume it's also an early model but luckily I have no issues, apparently.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Interesting, I'm going in tomorrow @ 11700 miles for an alignment. I consider the wear on my front tires excessive, to the point if I lived anywhere but So Cal, I would be considering new front tires within the next month. My van has a 12/15 born on date. I wonder if that would be considered an "early example" as described in Brian's post?

·
Registered
109 Posts
My original tires wore unevenly, with outer edges going first, but I did get about 37,000 out of them. I had van aligned twice now and have switched to Michelin Defenders. Wear seems more even thus far, but it is still early with only about 8000 miles on new tires.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Had same issue with front tires wearing out early. Went to Costco for four new Michelins, and then drove directly to MB dealership for alignment. (I didn't know about the alignment warranty, and it was just over a year, anyway.) It's been several months and no more problems with wear. Moreover, a much smoother and quieter ride.

·
Registered
176 Posts
I just talked to my service adviser while scheduling my "A" service. Just in passing, I mentioned that the alignment they did in March made quite a difference in how the van drives. He told me that there had been a service advisory around July of 2016 (mine was built in Dec of 2015 and I bought it in June of 2016) that said that the Metris van's alignment had been set to improper specs in manufacturing and gave the new, proper specs. Funny he didn't mention that in March.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Service

I had 14,000 miles on my van and both front tires were worn and needed replaced. The rear end was out of alignment and caused the wear. Of course it was out of warranty and I was left paying for two tires and the alignment. I would advise anyone with one of these vans to check the tires before the warranty runs out at 7500 miles.

I had this van in for service A at 10,000 miles and the service tech did not say anything about the tire wear. Might have been able to correct the problem before the tires needed replaced if he would have bothered to catch this. I have only been driving this for six months.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
**update** on premature tire wear.
I am inspecting the alignment machine reports on 2 of the 3 vans I am, getting the 3rd today,,and all 3 vans (2) from Mass and (1) from Connecticut were NOT out of
alignment much at all..I digested these reports numbers before and after and it was off very minimal, So it means one of two thing on all 3 vans
THE HANCOOK TIRES ARE made of trash- bucket skorean RUBBER "OR" MERCEDES HAS THE WRONG CAMBER ADJUSTMENT COMPENSATION TO MAKE THE TIRES WEAR EVENLY,. one or the other!! What is even crazier, the dealership loaned us a new loaner 2017 yesterday with 900 miles and I noticed the loaner had the same model crappy tires and they were also starting to wear on outer edge. Then I find out in 2016 Hancook has lost legal battles and Hyundai and Kia dropped them. so Mercedes picks them up? Am I missing something?

·
Registered
2,184 Posts
I have no idea why Mercedes is using these crappy tires. Irrespective of the camber issue, my rears wore out at 36k. Not unevenly, just plain worn out. And contrary to what some think, I do drive fast, but I don't go around burning out and doing donuts in my van. (I don't think the ESP allows that even when off)

Worst of all, the tires went from apparently fine (normal traction) to completely uselsss (I went off the road in a rain storm. I have not fully lost control of a car -rain, snow, or black ice- in a lifetime of RWD vehicles with no ESP at all - or even ABS in most of them, come to think of it) in 5 days.

My suggestion to all of you is replace your Hankooks promptly no later than 30k miles, irrespective of wear with a good European tire (Continental, Dunlop, Michelin, or Pirelli). Just to be on the safe side. Frankly these Hankooks are a worse safety issue than the mirrors you all kvetch about.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Well after a little delay due to staffing around the 3 day weekend, I finally got the van in for the alignment. Also had my Service A done, even though I still had a few miles to go. $100.00 off coupon that expired 5/31, wasn't going to go unused. Also had the noisy steering wheel issue taken care of.

http://www.metrisforum.com/forum/193-mercedes-benz-metris-general-discussion/4113-steering-wheel-noise.html

MB took care of the alignment and replaced the front tires all under warranty. All I did was ask the service advisor to see if MB would replace the tires under warranty, and they did. Overall I'm very happy with the service. Other than the replacement tires I got....oh well. Beggars can't be choosers.

1 - 20 of 201 Posts
About this Discussion
200 Replies
60 Participants
Metris?
Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum
Welcome to Metris Forum, where you can talk about the Mercedes Benz Minivan and check out the various campervan conversion kits, and discuss Mercedes Metris reliability.
Full Forum Listing