Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
These alloys are used on all kinds of other MB models and don’t seem to have a problem. You are also going to get lots of outer tire wear if you are cranking the wheel hard over at any kind of speed.

The wheel cut on the Metris is very high (>50 degrees from what I can tell- on most cars it’s in the 30s) which is great for tight maneuvers. But you have to remember that at full lock you need to be moving fairly slow as otherwise the tires will drag. Combine fast tight manuvers with this vans weight and you will have rapid outer front tire wear that is entirely user error.
Sorry to borrow from another thread but I think this relates to what should be a separate thread. I've found that my van sort of trips over itself when I back up while turning. This is NOT going fast but simply backing out of a parking space etc. I've wondered if this might be connected to the outer edge wear problem but wanted to see if others experience this behavior when turning sharp and backing.

·
Registered
401 Posts
I've noticed mine twitches a bit (or seems like it) when making a quicker turn full lock forwards...haven't noticed it in reverse. Going slow I've not noticed. I've not had any excess signs of tire wear though.

·
Banned
2,743 Posts
It is related to the design of the front suspension necessary to allow for such a large front steering angle. I’m quite certain it’s normal.

I had an Isuzu cabover that also had a very large front wheel cut, and it did the same thing. When you get a chance put your Metris at full lock and compare it’s front turning angle to that of another car you own. What you are feeling is too much lateral force causing the wheels to drag. You really should not be utilizing full luck on this van at much more than a crawl.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Metris actually has a tighter turning radius by .6 FT vs my GLK. Very impressive.....my W210 wagon is about 18.5ft (Metris is 18.25)

Most MB have had a very tight turning capability through the ages. I've had many people amazed at where I could turn around in my 420SEL (radius around 19ft)

Try that in a mid 90's buick....turning circle on those is about 500 feet. :D

·
Registered
305 Posts
Yes, mine did it too. I noticed it while backing up with the steering wheel fully locked. After experiencing it twice I quickly realized I shouldn't be turning it that sharp. Too me it feels like a bad wheel bearing or a loose ball joint.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts