Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner

41 - 60 of 96 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
MM, your van looks fantastic!!! Do you use it for business or fun? I need to get some pics of mine up...It fairly custom. Don't how to from iphone.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I decided I just wasn't going to pay $180 a tire for Defenders that last 45,000 miles. But I live in the middle of nowhere (Gun Barrel City, Tx) and what my local tire store that I've always bought from has (or can even order) is limited. I considered those Entyres, but the nearest Discount Tire is over 40 miles away, not very convenient when rotation time comes.

So, I did the unthinkable: I ordered Chinese tires from Walmart. There is a Walmart within two miles of my house. The Nankang SP-9 tires (I don't have enough posts to add a link) I ordered from walmart.com cost $68 each. Even after you add the $15 for installation and lifetime rotation, that's almost $100 a tire less than the Defenders. They ride and handle nicer than the Defenders ever did. We'll see how they wear.

·
Banned
80 Posts
Finally got rid of the junk Hankooks and went with Cooper CS5.

The hankooks had about 18k miles on them and were shot 4-6/32nds left.
CS5 is a fantastic tire, but not XL load. In fact, pretty far below the 101 required.
[ame]https://www.amazon.com/Cooper-Ultra-Touring-Radial-Tire/dp/B00MXNCZFU/ref=sr_1_2?keywords=cooper+225%2F55-17&qid=1557192397&s=automotive&sr=1-2[/ame]

·
Banned
80 Posts
The Metris is a very heavy van (with my wife and me aboard i would estimate my vans weight at about 5200lbs, and fully loaded is 6700 and chänge) running on very small tires for that weight.

Pickups and SUVs this size have much larger rubber than this. I don’t know what the tire life will be on my Defenders- I currently have 29,000 on my first properly weight specced set of them, and they don’t seem like they need replacement any time soon, I got 42k out of a 97H tire. I would consider 45k or so about what you can expect. At least these tires are relatively inexpensive ($150ish?)

You need an XL load rating in 225/55 and 235/55 to make the 101 rating. 235/60 is a nice size and gets you 102, even in standard load.

·
Banned
80 Posts
Sorry if I am repeating things other people mentioned.

235/60-17 is a sweet size, since you can use standard load and get 102.

One of my pet tires is the General Altimax, they are owned by Conti. These are exceptional in snow, fwiw. The T speed rating gets you up to 700 wear, which is very good for a heavy vehicle. My oem Contis are like 280...? Anyway, if you are dependent on tire shops to tell you what to do, they might poo poo the T speed rating. All the speed rating is the ability to dissipate heat. Not a big deal inless you exceed 120+ in scorching heat. I'm not sure if the Metris calls for H rating or higher, but surely the T is fine esp with the 102 load rating.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=General&tireModel=AltiMAX+RT43+(T-Speed+Rated)&partnum=36TR7AMRT43&vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes

·
Banned
80 Posts
I just ordered the Nokian Entyre 2.0 with a great Labor Day deal. Discount Tire price-matched Simple Tire.com to go along with DT rebate. Factory Hankooks are done at only 23k miles.
Sure hope the E 2.0 live up to the reviews I found online.
They are world-class. The only media reviews you'll find are from Europe. I have them on my Audi Avant and used lots of Entryre 1.0

·
Banned
80 Posts
Ok, I broke my own rule.

Got Firestone Destination LE2 in 235/60-17 100H

It's 1 point below 101, but still great quality and H rated. They are a great tire, and are "highway all-season", a better category than passenger tires. In fact, they have a wider margin in the load rating, +10% iirc.

Under $350 a set on Amazon, kinda crazy since they are $750 elsewhere...https://www.bestusedtires.com/4-new-firestone-destination-le2-235-60r17-100h-sl-tire-944831

I have a hook up at the local Firestone shop, but it's not even worth asking, how can they match from $155 down to $87?

Only 2 sets left....

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B011U5048Q/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I might even run the white letters.

·
Banned
80 Posts
I think the size that works best is "right". If you mean they are not the correct spec size, that might be true, but it's not like I put smaller tires on, lol.

I would say >50% of vehicles benefit from a mild size increase. The road conditions here bear that out. At first I was going to use 235/55-17 XL Nokians, because I already have a set I can use. That's only like 1.5% taller, and under 2% is considered no problemo.

This calculator makes it easier than guessing.... http://www.powerdog.com/tiresize.cgi

My posts on this thread compelled me to look at 235/60-17, which I had already been shopping for as an upsize for my wife's Tiguan. I found the Firestones for $86 and jumped on it. Today, they are marked back up to $143, evidence that they were a good deal. If I change my mind, I can put the on the Tiguan instead.

Anyway, I'm trying to do a thorough post about this. I think 235/60 should nail it. Other guys use this, 5% bigger is a lot, but I feel like the Metris needs it. I seriously could not imagine spending a bunch of money on 225/55, to each their own.

Attachments

·
Banned
80 Posts
Your automotive knowledge is... fascinating. I wonder where you came across such specious malarkey.

Well, we are still waiting to hear ANY of yours, like how rotating reduces wear. Lacking even a rudimentary explanation, I can only assume you misread some literature on the subject.

In the real world, it's best to have your own analysis. I see people like you fumble with this all of the time.

In this case, it looks like a reviewer went 3 years and 58,000 miles without rotation, and was quite satisfied with the result....enough to post about it:

Tire:Cooper CS5 Ultra Touring
Grand Touring All-Season
Vehicle:2007 Chrysler 300C Rear Wheel Drive 4.5
Miles Driven on Tires:58,000Location:RANDLEMAN, NC
Driving Condition:Combined Highway/CityDriving Style:Average
3 of 3 people found the following review helpful:

Initial Review:
58,000 Miles on Tires
July 31, 2018
Have had the tires for 44 months and 58,000 miles, have not rotated tires in 3 years. Tire have always had zero road noise and even wear despite not be rotated. I would definitely recommend.
My post wasn't directed at knuckleheads like yourself, but aimed at normal people who want intelligently crafted tips, something completely lacking in your posts.

So, if you want to improve your argument, you might want to spend some time on automotive forums, other than Metrisforum.com.

Oh, and don't bother with your next ploy of questioning my experience level. Your own sad state of comprehension might not compare very well.

Attachments

·
Banned
80 Posts
Since it's a van, on a retro theme I'm excited to run the white outline lettering, my very first set. :grin:

I guess I am a noob after all.

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
If you want to create intelligently crafted tips, I suggest you do so.

The way you or I or almost anyone drives creates uneven wear on tires. Braking, acceleration, and steering all cause wear predominately on specific tires e.g. accelerating in the Metris causes wear to rear tires, braking to front, turning left puts more wear on the right tire and turning right puts wear on the left tires. Rotating the tires counteracts the specific uneven wear of your normal driving routes by swapping the tires that are worn more with the tires that are worn less.

UPS trucks, for instance, which avoid turning left at great cost, wear their left tires first from all the constant right turns. If you can’t recognize why this is a basic truth you have no business calling anyone a knucklehead.

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
I want you to find an official internal BMW document that indicates you should not rotate your tires and show it to me, and only if there is not a caveat referring to directional tires (which can’t be easily rotated left to right) of staggered sizes (different sizes front and rear) which can’t be rotated front to back.

You are a random non-expert on the internet. Without credentials indicating otherwise so is everyone else. Forum blather is not supporting evidence for your own forum blather. That’s like defining a word with itself.

As for BMW dealers recommending not rotating tires, it is important to remember that BMW dealers are in the business of selling automotive parts... including new tires.

41 - 60 of 96 Posts