Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner

1 - 20 of 97 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have any recommendation for replacement tires. I have the Hankooks and will not be getting those again. I have 22k on my '16 Metris and the Hankooks are shot (and noisy). I'm looking for a replacement tire. Any help will be appreciated!

·
Registered
184 Posts
I’m partial to Cooper Tires, they do well on my Volvos.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Whatever brand tire you buy, I'd recommend spending a couple hundred dollars to have a front- and rear-wheel alignment done after they're mounted. At 24K I replaced my factory Hankooks with new Hankooks--then had the alignment--and the new tires are wearing well.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have the Coopers also, CS5 grand touring. I have about 50,000 mi on them on my Honda CR-V so decided to put them on the metris .Way better in the snow than the hankooks .

·
Registered
25 Posts
How comfortable is the ride with the Cooper CS5's on the Metris compared to the Hankooks? I am less concerned with tread life or winter traction and looking for comfort over city roads.

·
Registered
259 Posts
I'm a huge Michelin fan but not sure the Defenders are going to be correct tire. I'm a little worried about the angled shoulders and the most city driving for my van. Interestingly enough there seems to be a wide range of winter rated all seasons in the 225/55r17 XL size like the Toyo Celcius CUV and the Pirelli Cinturato P7 All Season (on discount tire but not tirerack for some reason).

·
Registered
259 Posts
The Nokian eNTYRE 2.0 is also available in the 225/55r17 XL. Currently my top pick if I can actually find a place to buy them.

·
Registered
258 Posts
I agree with Styles concerning Nokian tires. We sold them years ago and never had a problem. I would think their quality would not have changed. I don't know where you are located but Discount Tire sells them here.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discount Tires can order them direct from Nokian even though the website says out of stock. Will report back once they arrive.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have found the van to be quite squirrely in snow and ice and I would like to upgrade from the Hankook OEM tires. I am considering Michelin Defender LTX M/S on my stock 5-spoke rims vs X-Ice Xi3 in a 215/65-16 size on some 2001 S-Class rims I found on CraigsList (16x7.5"). I like to cross sides when I do tire rotations to keep the edge wear even and sort of want to steer away from a unidirectional tire (X-Ice and most other winter tires) on this vehicle for this reason. Taller sidewalls could also be nice on our frost heave and pothole-ridden roads. Input from my friends in snowy locations?

·
Registered
483 Posts
I just ordered the Nokian Entyre 2.0 with a great Labor Day deal. Discount Tire price-matched Simple Tire.com to go along with DT rebate. Factory Hankooks are done at only 23k miles.
Sure hope the E 2.0 live up to the reviews I found online.

Reactions: Audi Junkie

·
Registered
25 Posts
I'm interested to hear how you like the Nokian tires. I am also looking to change from the Hankooks. The Hankooks are pretty smooth on the highway but are wearing quickly. I'm also hoping for a little better city ride.

·
Registered
278 Posts
I put on Michelin DEFENDER LTX M/S about 8,000 miles ago, and they still look new.

They have less road noise than the OEM tires (Vanco on my 2016 Metris Cargo).

I haven't had the chance to try them in light snow (and probably won't), nor, being in California, much rain. I haven't noticed any change in ride quality vs the Vanco tires.

·
Registered
591 Posts
I used Nokian Hakkapeliitta's (studded) for my Eurovan's Colorado winter shoes. Great tires. That vehicle required tires with reinforced sidewalls, I think because of the skinny tall heavy combination, so I'm not sure if that is needed. But with FWD, the van was super sure footed. When it lived in Cali, the Eurovan with chains going to Tahoe was awful

I've pretty much accepted that the Metris is NOT going to be able to make it to many relatively tame off-road locations. It's an urban delivery/service van. I drove the Eurovan off-road in Colorado and Wyoming, extensively, but even with its great ground clearance, it wasn't an off-road vehicle. Almost killed my CU freshman son when he ovalized the rear shock mounting holes playing rally driver with my van on an unsupervised trip into Aspen from our lakeside camping. He was only partly guilty, as I think they must have been de-torqued to begin with.

I think I'll explore truck/delivery tires when the 'kooks go on my Metris

·
Registered
259 Posts
Quick Entyre 2.0 review: quiet, good in the wet and gets a marginal mpg increase but not too much. Sidewall is on the softer side for a 101XL tire but doesn't really make a difference driving. I rotated after 8k or so and the rears had worn the centers and the fronts the shoulders to about 80% even after playing around with pressures. We'll see what the lifespan ends up being these vans just seem super hard on tires even when they are aligned. The price point on the Nokians was excellent, might try the Defenders next who knows.

1 - 20 of 97 Posts