Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there. I have a Passenger van that’s had a pop top added, Travois pro floor/l track and Travois rocknroll bed.

I just put on my snow tires and trying to figure out tire pressure. They are 225/55/r17 X Ice. The max pressure on the sidewall says 50.

The doorwell sticker says 44 front/45 rear. That doesn’t seem right for tires that max at 50.

Any thoughts who know about tire pressure than me?? Thanks!

·
Registered
308 Posts
My van came with all season tires marked 50 psi max. I put on michelin defender all season tires when those wore out. The max pressure marked on the Michelins is 50

I fill the tires to the pressure recommended on the driver side door panel.

·
Banned
2,743 Posts
The doorwell sticker says 44 front/45 rear. That doesn’t seem right for tires that max at 50.
I believe the number you are reading is for a van that is fully loaded; that being said with a campervan conversion you aren’t going to be a lightweight so I would adhere to that anyway.

“50 psi max” as listed on tires refers to max cold pressure on a stationary vehicle, as such pressure would be read in the morning before travel in the days before wide spread TPMS. It is NOT the maximum dynamic instantaneous pressure the tire can withstand; I would guess that would be at least double that.

That is to say, I would guess that the pressure inside the tire would have to reach something WAY over 50psi before you would reach tire failure; that is probably something you could achieve on a Metris cold inflated to slightly over 50psi with a gross vehicle weight slightly exceeding its rating (say 6900 lbs) that had been traveling at its max speed (101mph) for a sustained period of time (a minute maybe?) that needed to undertake an Emergency maneuver. So it would be wise to adhere to not inflating the vehicle over that 50psi.

But trust me, if you don’t go over 50psi cold when laden, don’t keep your van at triple digits for sustained periods of time, and don’t try to beat RobMeex’s time through the tail of the dragon, over pressure tire failure is not one of your concerns. I would, however, adjust tire pressure if uneven tire wear over time suggests it.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hi there. I have a Passenger van that’s had a pop top added, Travois pro floor/l track and Travois rocknroll bed.

I just put on my snow tires and trying to figure out tire pressure. They are 225/55/r17 X Ice. The max pressure on the sidewall says 50.

Any thoughts who know about tire pressure than me?? Thanks!
Hi, seems to me a design goal for the Vito/Metris is to maximize the interior volume for the size of exterior. Minimizing tire size by specifying high-load tires (basically tires built for higher pressures) is part of the strategy. When the second and third seats are out of mine and there is no cargo, I lower the pressures to 35 psi for a better ride and less noise. I put Michelin Defenders on mine at about 33k miles. They are the extra load/high pressure type specified. I would have gone for the standard Defenders, but Costco won't go against the manufacturer's door sticker, as they should not. I find the Michelins to be an improvement over the original Continentals.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi, seems to me a design goal for the Vito/Metris is to maximize the interior volume for the size of exterior. Minimizing tire size by specifying high-load tires (basically tires built for higher pressures) is part of the strategy. When the second and third seats are out of mine and there is no cargo, I lower the pressures to 35 psi for a better ride and less noise. I put Michelin Defenders on mine at about 33k miles. They are the extra load/high pressure type specified. I would have gone for the standard Defenders, but Costco won't go against the manufacturer's door sticker, as they should not. I find the Michelins to be an improvement over the original Continentals.
Thanks. Yes, I have BF Goodrich All-Terrain LT225/65R17 that I run in the summer. I needed snow tires for the winter where I live. The Michelin X-Ice I got in a 225/55r17 have a load rating of 1819lb per tire, so they should be good to go with the ~5k pounds of the metris with pop top.

·
Banned
2,743 Posts
The Metris has a GVWR of just under 6800lbs. The minimum load rating should thus be absolutely no less than 1700lbs, although with the fact that a loaded or tractoring van will be rear heavy, you should put heavier tires than that on the rear and could technically put slightly lighter duty tires on the front. MB specifies 101 load rating, which is what you put on your van.

It is generally a terrible idea to put tires based upon your guess of what the van might actually weigh; it is almost always heavier. The tare weight of your van is probably under 4500 lbs, but with camper equipment, a full tank of fuel, you and your passengers (that counts), and your camping baggage, I bet (not knowing the camping conversion you did) it is a lot closer to 6000lbs when you leave home for a trip than you think it is.

My passenger with just my wife’s maid supplies, roadside tools, and us aboard, with the two-place bench removed, weighs in at about 5400 lbs. Based on my vans 2084lb payload, that means all of that weighs 800lbs + the weight of the missing bench seat. My wife’s equipment is an Oreck XL, a swifter stick, a mop, and a carrying bag of cleaning chemicals.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The Metris has a GVWR of just under 6800lbs. The minimum load rating should thus be absolutely no less than 1700lbs, although with the fact that a loaded or tractoring van will be rear heavy, you should put heavier tires than that on the rear and could technically put slightly lighter duty tires on the front. MB specifies 101 load rating, which is what you put on your van.

It is generally a terrible idea to put tires based upon your guess of what the van might actually weigh; it is almost always heavier. The tare weight of your van is probably under 4500 lbs, but with camper equipment, a full tank of fuel, you and your passengers (that counts), and your camping baggage, I bet (not knowing the camping conversion you did) it is a lot closer to 6000lbs when you leave home for a trip than you think it is.

My passenger with just my wife’s maid supplies, roadside tools, and us aboard, with the two-place bench removed, weighs in at about 5400 lbs. Based on my vans 2084lb payload, that means all of that weighs 800lbs + the weight of the missing bench seat. My wife’s equipment is an Oreck XL, a swifter stick, a mop, and a carrying bag of cleaning chemicals.
Are you saying my X-Ice winter tires are or aren’t safe for this van?
Thank you.

·
Banned
2,743 Posts
An x-ice tire with a 101 load index (235/55R17 101H for example) is acceptable which I think imacd linked to. An x-Ice 235/55R17 93H would not be. 101 load index tires are not common at the 235/55R17 sizing; I believe the Metris is the only us market vehicle that uses it, although I could be wrong.

The numbers are formatted [tire width]/[sidewall height][type of construction, usually R for Radial][wheel diameter]_[load index][speed index].

·
Registered
68 Posts
Why not weigh it loaded to know the real answer? In CA I had to provide a certified scale weight to register my van...

My empty cargo weighed in at 4300 lbs with a half tank and 1 passenger.

Ive got about 2 sheets of 1 1/8 ply (about 100# each) 2 sheets of 3/4 balsa ply (40 # each) and about 100 # of vinyl and carpet. Plus a bedslide (approx 250 lbs). Add to that a 200Ah AGM battery (130#) add 80# for more fuel and 250# in H20 and that's close to 5100# without the camping gear. Add another 500# and there you are.. close to #5600 lbs.

I will def load her up with all the gear and get a weight before I replace my noisy Hankooks.

·
Registered
900 Posts
Why not weigh it loaded to know the real answer? In CA I had to provide a certified scale weight to register my van...

My empty cargo weighed in at 4300 lbs with a half tank and 1 passenger.

Ive got about 2 sheets of 1 1/8 ply (about 100# each) 2 sheets of 3/4 balsa ply (40 # each) and about 100 # of vinyl and carpet. Plus a bedslide (approx 250 lbs). Add to that a 200Ah AGM battery (130#) add 80# for more fuel and 250# in H20 and that's close to 5100# without the camping gear. Add another 500# and there you are.. close to #5600 lbs.

I will def load her up with all the gear and get a weight before I replace my noisy Hankooks.
My 2018 Cargo 135 came in between 4300# and 4400# unladen, full fuel and me.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts