Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Purchased a used 2016 Metris Cargo and realized the jack is there but no tools. I checked under the driver seat and in the cargo area but not seeing anything. Anywhere else I should look? Where is a good place to purchase the tools?

·
Banned
2,743 Posts
Harbor freight. At least for everything but a towing eye. You need a breaker bar and the correct size socket, a pneumatic jack, a warning triangle (Truck stop is a great place for that), and I personally carry a small socket set. You should also ensure you have a functional full size spare tire.

This information is not Metris specific; it’s amazing how many cars don’t include this stuff. Harbor freight is an awful place to get tools, but a socket and breaker bar for tire changing is something they are acceptable for. That might be their limit though.

·
Registered
133 Posts
The usually included tire iron is woefully short for breaking loose the Metris wheel bolts which are set at 130 ft lbs. I changed to an extendable 1/2" drive and socket to provide more leverage. In addition to the tow hook, there is a model specific hex drive to lower the spare tire that may be difficult to replicate. Sign up for AAA I guess.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Its 133lbs on the Alloy wheels but 166 on the steel wheels! More like a breaker Pole than a breaker bar!

·
Banned
2,743 Posts
The truth is that all flat tires are required to occur, by law, at night on a busy highway with a dinky shoulder, during a freezing cold rain. You want the tools that will allow you to remove yourself from that agony as quickly as possible.

So a long-ass breaker bar, a easy to operate jack, a stud to poke through the wheel to make it easy to place the tire (remember, MBs use lug bolts, not lug nuts- you need a setting stud to use as a guide), a head mounted flashlight, and some roadside alert lights/flares to save you from being run over.

If all you have is the factory kit, call MB roadside or AAA.

It is important to remember the correlating statute, however, which states that carrying all the needed equipment drastically reduces the likelyhood you will have a flat to begin with.

·
Banned
2,743 Posts
I suggest getting a Ford F550 with a Dynamic lift and interior controls, like that used in the repossession industry. Given the fact you have a Ram, your tow kit should be designed for frequent tows.

·
Registered
89 Posts
"The usually included tire iron is woefully short for breaking loose the Metris wheel bolts which are set at 130 ft lbs."
I keep a two foot length of galvanized pipe with just enough diameter to fit over the tire iron arm in my Metris. This extra length provides plenty of leverage for breaking loose the bolts.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I encountered this same issue with a 2019, but swore I was shown the toolkit by the salesman. I eventually found it in the passenger door under the manuals.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts