Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have any tire chain experience with their Metris? Any particular brands to recommend? I read elsewhere here about someone interested in the fancy ~$400 Thule/Konig chain set that mounts in just seconds, but there have been reports of them getting stuck on the tires.

Thanks,

Steve Christensen
Twin Cities, MN

·
Registered
37 Posts
I have lots of tire chain experience. Put a set of blizaks on, put 160lbs of sand as far back behind each rear wheel as possible, and get good at turning the traction control off and on when needed. Only use chains (only real chains) when required by law, and staying put is not an option. I only plan on using the chains on my metris if the gate has closed behind me, and I'm the last vehicle in front of the sweep plow.

·
Registered
401 Posts
I have lots of tire chain experience. Put a set of blizaks on, put 160lbs of sand as far back behind each rear wheel as possible, and get good at turning the traction control off and on when needed. Only use chains (only real chains) when required by law, and staying put is not an option. I only plan on using the chains on my metris if the gate has closed behind me, and I'm the last vehicle in front of the sweep plow.
Be careful with the blizaks it doesn’t support the load rating for the metris.

·
Registered
200 Posts
The vehicle will handle better with 250 (5 bags) of nice clean play sand directly over the rear axle, which is what I do.

Agree with the Blizzaks.

·
Registered
151 Posts
tirechains.com

I bought a pair of standard chains and the emergency strap-ons in case I ever get stuck in mud or something where I'm dug-in. I test-fit the standard chains when I got them and they were easy to put on without moving the vehicle. Hopefully I'll only be using them as weights in the back for added traction :D

·
Registered
1 Posts
Metris snow chains

I thought the manual says do not use tire chains on a Metris. Back in 2016, it stopped me from buying one after reading the owner's manual.
--THeO

·
Registered
3 Posts
Those will work if you don’t mind having a different tire size then factory. I wanted to keep everything as factory as I could also they are LT tires.
I'm only going to use chains when required by law in mountain passes. Agreed with extra weight in back and "keeping factory". What tire/ chains do you recommend?

·
Registered
14 Posts
A friend has a Metris passenger and ran snows. Could not get up his steep drive during storms. He went studded and traction was improved so the driveway/snow
IMG_8377.jpeg
is no longer an issue.

I went with Nokian Hakka 9's with studs.

I always run snows on my cars. First time with studs.

I will report after the first storm.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts