Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've noticed outside air pollution (vehicle exhaust, fresh cut grass, smoke from forest fires...) gets into the Metris cabin more than my last vehicle even when I've diligently pressed the recirculation button on the AC system.

I've inspected all my door seal gaskets and they seem to seat correctly. Does anyone have tips on how to tighten up a Metris in general. Any known areas where there are clear leaks to outside air?

·
Registered
83 Posts
If you have the standard non automatic climate control, you probably don’t have the upgraded carbon impregnated cabin filter. Not sure if they use completely differen’t housings or not. Should be an easy upgrade. They mentioned in the build guide better filtration for the auto climate control system. Too bad they didn’t include an air quality sensor. I replace my filter at least once a year. Hopefully this is something that will help.

·
Registered
2,570 Posts
I haven't noticed that, particularly, and I do have the standard non automatic climate control. But I am a frequent window down driver off the highway.

·
Registered
483 Posts
I have noticed it like the OP. Would be interesting if the upgrade AC carbon filter is a direct 'drop in' for the standard system. "Mercedes by name..."

·
Registered
83 Posts
RobbMeeX quickly confirmed....... please upgrade your filter..... if your van sat for anytime at the dealer no matter what it had, could be contaminated. My van has no issues with odors or allergy issues whatsoever. I find air penetration into the cabin highly unlikely, and would suspect a bum filter far more likely. My filter looked soooo nasty after one year, just like all my other German cars. Should be an easy fix. Best of luck!

·
Registered
14 Posts
I was wondering what was going on. I thought the carbon filter was standard and those cheeky Spaniards had just forgot to pop mine in. Aha.

I'll get them to install one when I go for service next month.

·
Registered
397 Posts
I'm going to replace mine with a carbon one when replacement comes due also, it makes a huge difference. I put a fresh one in my GLK and you can't smell anything from outside!

·
Registered
86 Posts
I recently went to an automatic car wash. Once I got the durn thing into 'N' (I haven't had such a problem in the past) I then noticed massive humidity and strong soap smells. Turns out I had the heat on (it was in the 20s F that day I think) and by the time I turned it off, there was condensation on the human side of the speedo plastic lens. Now the van smells a bit like their fragrant soap!

Another thing I've noticed, with the cargo barn doors, is that I can see my inside light between the gasket with the doors closed. They are closed so that the doors are flush but there appears to still be a slight gap. I haven't noticed any water leakage beyond a few drops that appear to be coming in when I actually open a door.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts