Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner

Timing Chain

4K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  focus805 
#1 ·
When should this be performed? Does the engine need to be dropped?

#5 ·
Owned a lot of vehicles with an engine that used one (or in one case 5) chains related to cam drive and not one automaker called for any service or replacement.

A timing belt? Yeah, my VW Golf TDi came with a rubber timing belt and VW called for this to be replaced at 80K miles. I had it done around 78K miles.

Change the oil/filter on schedule and the timing chain should last the life of the vehicle. In fact that one car that had the 5 chains I drove to 317K miles and the timing chains/cam drive chains and guides/tensioners were just fine.

'course if the CEL comes on and the code suggests a cam timing problem this needs to be looked into. The above mentioned car developed a problem with its variable intake cam solenoid/actuator at around 250K miles and these had to be replaced. But the timing chains and guides were just fine.

#6 ·
From the DOG:

"ENGINE LIFE EXPECTANCY B10 value is 155,000 miles. B10 means 90% of all Metrises will exceed 155,000 miles without a major engine repair."

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.