Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The family is expanding so I'm trying to figure out a good option for 3 across car seat installs on the rear bench seat. The middle position will require using the seat belt. So far I've been unable to figure out how to get the seat belts to lock out like most belts will do when fully extended. This makes me quite hesitant to use the seat belts for car seat installs as opposed to the LATCH anchor points for the outer seats which are great.

Anyone else have experience or a solution with this? Are my concerns about safety in this situation unfounded?

Thanks for any insight out there!

·
Super Moderator
2019 Passenger
2,320 Posts
Hopefully other Reimo bench owners or upfitters will chime in.

I don't own this bench, but have wrangled plenty of Carseat. I'm not getting what you mean about lockout when fully extended. What Carseat config are you planning for the center?

Shame this seat only has 2 latch seats. The VW version looks like it has 3.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hopefully other Reimo bench owners or upfitters will chime in.

I don't own this bench, but have wrangled plenty of Carseat. I'm not getting what you mean about lockout when fully extended. What Carseat config are you planning for the center?

Shame this seat only has 2 latch seats. The VW version looks like it has 3.
I'm planning to have a forward facing seat in the middle and rear facing in the outer positions.

In my other vehicles when you fully extend the seat belt it will engage the locking mechanism. So then if you let it retract part way you cannot extend it again. You have to let the seat belt return to the original position to re-extend. Does that make sense?

I believe that it is recommended to have the seat belt in this locking mode for car seat installs so that the seat belt is restraining at all times instead of just when sudden forces engage the seat belt lock.

·
Registered
22 Posts
We are in a similar situation with car seats and the Reimo bench. Based on this article I found below, I picked up one of the locking clips and it made me feel comfortable enough.

What is a locking clip? Why you need one and how to use it

And since there aren't any tether anchors behind the seat, at one point we were also using an additional strap between the car seat tether and the frame of the Reimo bench but I'm not sure how effective that is in reality.

·
Registered
26 Posts
We are in a similar situation with car seats and the Reimo bench. Based on this article I found below, I picked up one of the locking clips and it made me feel comfortable enough.

And since there aren't any tether anchors behind the seat, at one point we were also using an additional strap between the car seat tether and the frame of the Reimo bench but I'm not sure how effective that is in reality.
I think there is a tether anchor on the outside seats of the bench. I’ll try to get some documentation or a picture, but for lack of a better description there is a “plate” running vertical on the side of the frame with the inside top corner at an angle. There is a slot in that corner that serves as a tether anchor.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I think there is a tether anchor on the outside seats of the bench. I’ll try to get some documentation or a picture, but for lack of a better description there is a “plate” running vertical on the side of the frame with the inside top corner at an angle. There is a slot in that corner that serves as a tether anchor.
Thanks for the tip! I'll take a closer look.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Sounds like a great option! I'll probably be purchasing a few of these soon unless it looks easy to replace the belts as pounce had mentioned.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts