Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife and I recently bought a 2016 Metris. It is really nice and extremely comfortable for us and our four young kids and even had a tv and DVD player added which we also like. The only issue with it is when the tv is down the driver can’t see out the rear view mirror. I found the Metris Backup Camera Programmer METRISCAM which is made by MidCity Engineering and allows for “Enabling the rear view camera on-demand through radio menu”. Also is supposed to install quickly and doesn’t void any warranties. I was wondering if anyone has used this product or has any other knowledge on how to use the rear view camera while not being in reverse similar to the way the Sprinter van can do this. Thanks!

·
Registered
2020 cargo 126wb
270 Posts
I realize this doesn’t answer your question but maybe the simplest solution is to move the TV to behind the driver instead of on centerline.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I am no expert on this stuff, but it looks like that is an adapter meant for installing an aftermarket radio head and keeping the functionality of the factory camera.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I am no expert on this stuff, but it looks like that is an adapter meant for installing an aftermarket radio head and keeping the functionality of the factory camera.
You’re right that it isn’t what I was thinking it was. I spoke to their engineers and they said it doesn’t do what I was wanting. Any other thoughts on how to enable the backup camera at times other than reversing? Moving the display left or right isn’t really an option since we have four kids. Moving the display may be a last resort but I’d prefer not to if at all possible.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I looked into this screen as a rearview mirror on my windowless cargo van. It can display a rear camera that they also sell. It actually supports multiple inputs natively, so you can add side view cameras on your mirrors and then connect activation wires to your turn signals so when you put on your signal, it will show the camera view for that side of the vehicle. Sounded super cool, but wasn't in the budget at the time and I've adapted to the visibility of the cargo van at this point.

·
Registered
869 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
@Macfan and @focus805 thanks for the suggestions. I was hoping not to have to put in a new monitor and mount another camera besides the OEM one for reversing but may have to do something like that. Also, we have the blind spot monitoring which I really like so don’t need that. Just someway to see directly behind the van when the screen is down.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I’ve been using this rearview cam that mounts over your existing rear mirror for six months now. I keep it on rear view all the time and it has given me much better awareness when driving this van. I almost dont need the blind spot sensors (which i damaged anyway) anymore... DMYCO Backup Camera Car Mirror Dash Cam,12'' IPS Full Touch Screen,2560P Resolution Front and Rear View Dual Lens,32G TF Card Included https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07WVXLSFR/

·
Registered
15 Posts
We use Mid City engineering for rear cameras and alarm interfaces. They are an outstanding company. Very knowledgeable. Never had a problem with any of their products.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I ended up retrofitting another backup cam’s mounting device. Its not perfect but its functional. Some industrial double sided tape is prob all you need. I also carefully removed some window tint right where the lens is to give a brighter view (about 1” square). It is Unnoticeable from outside (i have super dark tint)

·
Registered
583 Posts
I ended up retrofitting another backup cam’s mounting device. Its not perfect but its functional. Some industrial double sided tape is prob all you need. I also carefully removed some window tint right where the lens is to give a brighter view (about 1” square). It is Unnoticeable from outside (i have super dark tint)
Next time you're out and about, let's see a pic or two of the rear cam mounted. thanks

1 - 13 of 13 Posts