Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Interested in installing a third battery under driver's seat to power Fantastic Fan, rear cargo lighting and ARB fridge/freezer . Have Starter and Eco Start/Stop batteries under front passenger seat and hollow battery compartment under driver's seat (see photo).

Couple of questions:

* MB sells "Additional Battery Package" for Cargo Van with a ED4 AGM Battery 12V 95 Ah (deep cycle) as a third battery. Other piece of package is cutoff relay for additional battery. Is this the package I need or are there other harnesses and additional parts requirements?

* Driver's seat battery compartment has this module (photo) mounted inside. Can't locate what function it serves by searching sticker numbers. Any ideas? Thx!

Attachments

·
Registered
2,727 Posts
Oh geese. I thought you meant you wanted another big battery in addition to the twin 95 Ah units. I was going to suggest getting a small nuclear reactor or somethin'.

You woulda been way better off getting your van with the second main battery installed. But yes, those are the basic pieces you need. Also, there are way more than those batteries in your car. The Becker Map Pilot has one, and I'd guess there are several others. When people say second battery, they mean a second main.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I'm seeing some info indicating that part no. A0009017202 Is a fuel controller.
https://m.ebay-kleinanzeigen.de/s-anzeige/mercedes-steuergeraet-a0009017202-vito-viano-v447-kraftstoff-neu/573412187-223-5382

...used Google Translate, which says it's a "fuel controller"

·
Registered
2016 Cargo converted into a camper van
332 Posts
I'm in the same boat with wanting to add another battery, aka "house" battery in the boating world. I bought a used van and it did not have the additional battery under the driver's seat. I also have the Eco Start/Stop battery under the passenger seat. The main user of battery power for me will be a Webasto heater, plus of course some LED lights, a water pump and an inverter.

You'll certainly need cables and a mounting bracket for the new battery.

It would be great if someone with the Additional Battery Package would post pictures of the install under the driver's seat, the location of the battery separator and the routing of the cables between the two batteries.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm in the same boat with wanting to add another battery, aka "house" battery in the boating world. I bought a used van and it did not have the additional battery under the driver's seat. I also have the Eco Start/Stop battery under the passenger seat. The main user of battery power for me will be a Webasto heater, plus of course some LED lights, a water pump and an inverter.

You'll certainly need cables and a mounting bracket for the new battery.

It would be great if someone with the Additional Battery Package would post pictures of the install under the driver's seat, the location of the battery separator and the routing of the cables between the two batteries.
Spoke with MB dealer Sprinter service and was told they would not do an auxiliary battery install even with MB parts. Received a quote for $800 including parts and install from upfitter in Denver. Not sure if I'll go the route of inverter and 110 or stick with fuse panel and six circuits. If I have upfitter do install I'll post photos.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Spoke with MB dealer Sprinter service and was told they would not do an auxiliary battery install even with MB parts. Received a quote for $800 including parts and install from upfitter in Denver. Not sure if I'll go the route of inverter and 110 or stick with fuse panel and six circuits. If I have upfitter do install I'll post photos.
Was that quote for a 95ah battery? I'm in the same position, still contemplating upfitter or do it myself. Shouldn't be too difficult of job once you have the wiring path down.

·
Registered
501 Posts
I'll also be interested in what the biggest battery you find that will fit the driver side cavity.

·
Registered
332 Posts
It looks like a group 65 battery would be a good fit and utilize the space well. Of course the tools in that compartment would need to find a new home. Considering the challenging access and lack of ventilation, I'd use an AGM battery. Which also what you get if it comes factory installed.

Here's an example from Batteries Plus ($285), it has a 48 month warranty. They have what looks to be an identical battery with a 60 month warranty for $15 more.

https://www.batteriesplus.com/productdetails/sli65agmdpm

This battery shows a 20 hour capacity of 74 amp hours. I don't know if the "95 AH" factory battery measurement is the 20 hour capacity, but I rather doubt it. To get 20 more amp hours using the same scale (20 hour capacity) you'd need a larger battery and the group 65 battery does not leave a lot of unused space.

There are most likely more options- I just looked on the Batteries Plus site.

·
Registered
501 Posts

·
Registered
332 Posts
Good tip MOWO. I Googled the specs, found an image that showed the same specs for a 2009 MB C230 and came up with a battery that is about .04" longer on Batteries Plus. I could not find anything close on the Trojan Batteries website.

From Batteries Plus:

Item Number: SLI49AGM
Brand: Duracell Ultra
Voltage: 12
Format: BCI Group 49
Lead Acid Type: Dual Purpose (Starting/Cycling)
Cold Cranking Amps: 850
Battery Type: Premium
Capacity 20hr: 92AH
Chemistry: Lead Acid
Cranking Amps: 975
Lead Acid Design: AGM
Made in the USA: True
Maintenance Free: Yes
Product Category: Auto/Light Truck
Product Sub Category: Starting Lighting And Ignition
Terminal Type: SAE, Automotive Post
Warranty: 48 Month Free Replacement
Weight: 57.75 lbs
Length: 13.9375 in
Width: 6.875 in
Height: 7.5 in

https://www.batteriesplus.com/battery/car-and-truck/mercedes-benz/c230/2009/v6-2.5l-760cca/sli49agm

However, its listed as being for "Starting, Lighting and Ignition" in one place but then as "Dual Purpose" in another place. That being said, the Varta battery MOWO references does not state that it is a deep cycle battery.

·
Registered
2,727 Posts
Knowing Mercedes, and Robb can correct me if I am wrong ( I haven't looked at the battery), the battery is probably Mercedes-branded and most likely manufactured specifically to their specifications (meaning that nobody actually sells an identical battery, although there are undoubtedly batteries as good or better out there).

If you get really bored sometime, go around your car and count the number of times either the three-pointed star or the words "Mercedes-Benz" are visible without opening a door. Don't forget to carefully scan each light. Thats without opening anything. There are literally hundreds, if not thousands, of branding on everything. Although perhaps not so many times aimed at the outside of the car.

·
Registered
501 Posts
RR, this is the battery in US Metris with Additional Batt Package:

VARTA AGM A0019828208 They all say 'Starter' Battery on them. I guess MB not gonna waste money on two different size/type of battery. I'll be going with a 3rd party 'true deep cycle' AGM from Trojan, Crown, or Lifeline.

Attachments

·
Registered
11 Posts
Auxiliary Battery, Parts List

I have the Auxiliary Battery option installed, so I went out today and disassembled it (with pictures) to get you an idea of the factory parts. Some items, I was unable to ascertain the part number. I didn't completely disassemble the front seat, so I can't make a wiring diagram, but it looked pretty straight forward, simple charging relay with heavy-gauge wire to the battery.

The parts which begin with "A 639" are parts from the previous generation Mercedes Vito W639, so you might be able to source them from a junk or scrapper. I don't imagine they cost much from the dealer, either.

Parts List:
Code:
A 447 541 00 05 - Battery Door
A 639 541 02 12 - Battery Bracket
A 001 982 82 08 - Starter Battery, 12V 92Ah AGM
A 002 542 56 19 - Charging Relay
A 639 546 00 35 - Battery Terminal Insulator
180179846621    - Negative (Ground) 8GA Wire with Terminal, Brown
180179195865    - Positive (Power)  8GA Wire with Terminal, Red
M10x1.25        - M10x1.25 Bolts, Flat Hex with Flair, Two
???             - 90° Elbow with 10mm Tubing, Vent Tube
???             - Rubberized Grommet, Vent Tube, 18mm
Picture 1 - Battery installed under driver's seat
Picture 2 - Negative 8GA Brown wire, vent tubing
Picture 3 - Battery Door, Battery Bracket, Two Bolts
Picture 3a - Auxiliary battery size
Picture 3b - Battery Insulator installed, clips into two slots in battery, prevents arcing
Picture 4 - Empty battery storage
Picture 5 - Battery Specs and Part Number
Picture 6 - Charging Relay
Picture 7 - Negative Battery Wire and Terminal
Picture 8 - Positive Battery Wire and Terminal

Attachments

1 - 20 of 22 Posts