Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm still trying to figure out that low fan that comes on sometimes after parking my Metris. The Owners Manual says little about it, and in the screen shot below it says it will come on in approximately 60 min. after parking, and that it will run for "about 30 min". There is no other mention in the manual about this low fan that kicks on, and what is written about it seem incomplete at best.

I find that the low fan comes on much sooner than 60 min, and sometimes is runs much longer that 30 min. Initially I was concerned that this fan might run down my battery if my Metris was parked out in the hot sun for a long time. My dealer assures me it won't and what I am experiencing is normal.

What can my fellow Metris owners tell me about this low fan kicking on in a parked Metris. Are you guys experiencing the same thing I am?

Thank you.

Attachments

·
Registered
299 Posts
I haven't read the manual about it but I noticed that fan the very first time I opened the driver door to have my first driving test at the first dealer I didn't buy it from. The lady told me the van wants to get to the temp settings at the time you turn off the engine. You can try, I haven't, by setting the temp about 10 degrees higher/lower (summer/winter) than outside temp (inside temp is always higher with closed doors and windows) before turn off the engine to test.

·
Registered
939 Posts
I *THINK* its to dry off the evaporator and keep smells down.
-I just reread this - Inside or radiator fan?? Its still early and i'm 1/4 way through my coffee.

·
Registered
939 Posts
Yes, Ok. Wait, what's the question? My HVAC fan comes on as designed.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am a sales rep with the Commercial vans dept in Canada. I have looked into this issue and will post any relevant info i receive from our product planners and engineers from Germany as soon as I have it.

My parts team and head office has also reassured me that there is no issue with draining the battery in the vehicles.

Sean

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I haven't read the manual about it but I noticed that fan the very first time I opened the driver door to have my first driving test at the first dealer I didn't buy it from. The lady told me the van wants to get to the temp settings at the time you turn off the engine. You can try, I haven't, by setting the temp about 10 degrees higher/lower (summer/winter) than outside temp (inside temp is always higher with closed doors and windows) before turn off the engine to test.
I've been experimenting a little and what the "lady told you" seems to be true. Typically I have the interior temp setting all the way down, (off), but I leave the fan on when I shut the engine off. Then if it's a warm day the interior fan seems to kick on when the van has been parked a while and it warms up, and it does keep the inside of the van cool while it's parked. My concern was that it would run down the battery, and my other concern was that the 300 page Owners Manual really does not explain the system very well, and it should.

I've been trying to remember to turn the fan off before I shut down the engine, and it seems if I do that the fan does not kick back on automatically. Of course if there is no danger that this system will run down the battery then that's great. I just wish the manual would explain it better than it does.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I have seen that since new, I will assume its normal. It seems to happen at extreme temps, and only after unlocking vehichle. I have a cargo with climate control( someone had fun ticking boxes on the order). 65K on the clock never missed a start. Hope this put you at ease.

Chuck

·
Banned
2,516 Posts
I will state that I will soon have 75k on my Metris and I sit in the back listening to music for hours on the stereo and don’t run down my battery. The climate van is bupkes compared to that.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts