Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner

The car kicks when braking 2021 metris

6K views 27 replies 15 participants last post by  Goiner 
#1 ·
Hello everyone, someone has encountered such a problem as bumps or bumps when braking. This problem appeared 2 days ago. Every time I hit the brake during a normal trip at a traffic light or just make a full stop, there is a jolt. How do you deal with this and is there a solution? My mileage is only 1200 miles. I don't even know what it could be, or the braking system is arranged like that, or it's not a malfunction of the car. annoying:(

#2 ·
I have not seen that behavior on my Metris, certainly would not call it normal and would be calling the service department of the dealership where you purchased the vehicle or the one closest to you, to have it checked under warranty.

Is this happening with a fast deceleration? From highway speed to zero? Or while coasting down? *
People drive differently in different parts, city, highway, rural ... hit the brakes differently.
Does this happen consistently? Easy to reproduce?

( * ) My Dodge did perhaps something similar, very infrequently, kind of like a poorly timed transmission shift while coasting down and then braking gradually to make a full stop. But it was super infrequent and not consistent, so I never even had a chance to get it looked at ...

#4 ·
I have not seen that behavior on my Metris, certainly would not call it normal and would be calling the service department of the dealership where you purchased the vehicle or the one closest to you, to have it checked under warranty.

Is this happening with a fast deceleration? From highway speed to zero? Or while coasting down? *
People drive differently in different parts, city, highway, rural ... hit the brakes differently.
Does this happen consistently? Easy to reproduce?

( * ) My Dodge did perhaps something similar, very infrequently, kind of like a poorly timed transmission shift while coasting down and then braking gradually to make a full stop. But it was super infrequent and not consistent, so I never even had a chance to get it looked at ...
I move smoothly along the road. I didn't notice it on the high-speed magistarli. This problem occurs when moving from 25 to 50 miles. Just when I start to brake, to make the braking smooth and do not press the pedal sharply to the floor, but gradually slow down and before the car tries to stop, it gives a push and then a full stop

#3 ·
I've actually been having the same issue with my 2021 passenger van (Peace Vans uplift). Similar mileage to you (1500 miles or so on mine). It is not very consistent in my case -- I was planning to have it looked at by the local dealer. In my case my gas mileage has also been pretty poor compared to some of the reports I've seen on here, so I've been wondering if there might be some issue with the transmission (I think 2021 has a different trans than prior years).

#8 · (Edited)
It's only went coming to a stop? Like when you actually stop and not still moving? That's what I got from what you said, but maybe I'm not understanding correctly.

Every time I hit the brake during a normal trip at a traffic light or just make a full stop, there is a jolt.
but gradually slow down and before the car tries to stop, it gives a push and then a full stop

#12 ·
I occasionally get a Beep beep warning signal shortly after heading down my gravel road. A few days ago I looked down quickly enough to see the distance waning indicator flash (no other traffic, just the rough road and trees at the side). If I had been braking, presumably this would have increased the braking force.
Might that be the cause? Did you hear any warning sounds?

#13 ·
The safety alert is very audible ( not on my metris but our suv ) and will indeed help apply maximum braking force and will / may try to stop on its own depending ( features keep changing ) but it is very last second and will move you in your seat.

The complaint sounds like a transmission downshift into a low gear.

RE: Fuel economy
Fuel edonomy gets better after a few thousand miles. Mine was initially not great either and below my expectations. If you go by the little computer display, any time you spend warming up, idling before you leave, going uphill, ... will start you out with a quite low single digit number, which then takes time to average out with good driving.

I used to religiously put it in [ E ] but got tired of pushing the button.
Pointers.
Accellerate below its capabilities. ( pretend you have a fragile / heavy load )
Stay closer to 65 mph rather than 80 mph or whatever with traffic.
Coast down to interchanges, stops, ... the mog computer really rewards this.
You can kite / micro coast down smaller changes in terrain, anticipate slow downs with the gas pedal instead of needing the brakes ( like how some people drive always a foot pressing a pedal ) ...

Not on a 2021, but If you have eco start stop, at long stops, press the pedal further down after stop, to engage eco if it didn't already and you lock in your fuel consumption. If you are going through stop and go moving traffic, or a drive through, best to turn it off.

#15 ·
I can almost guarantee it's the transmission downshifting. My 2016 Metris does it for sure. It's very noticeable when driving. Funny story. I live on a corner lot. When my wife is coming home she is decelerating past the house to turn right to the side road and our driveway. When sitting at my computer I can absolutely hear the vehicle downshifting as she passes my window. it's very obvious and happens every time.

#17 ·

QUOTE="Nancy, post: 121903, member: 21429"]
My 2021 Getaway would occasionally "lurch/rock" when at a full stop at a red light. It felt a bit like being softly rear ended. I took it to the dealer and nothing was found/replicated. It stopped after <2000 miles.
[/QUOTE]

I didn't understand anything yesterday, I took a car ride all day and this problem was not identified. But I stopped by the dealer to register for an inspection of the car, I think that testing the gearbox will not be superfluous.

#16 ·
I wouldn't be surprised in the new 9 speed has a minor kink or two. I have not experienced it.

#19 ·
I agree that more aggressive braking makes it more obvious. My wife's aggressive driving is s family joke. She comes down our road at quite a good clip and brakes hard to a very slow speed for the right turn to the side road and our driveway The sound of the van downshifting is obvious.

#22 ·
I know my van is not a Metrics. I have a 2020 Ford Transit Connect. I had an issue like this as well. I would put on the brakes and as I slowed down I would have a hard hit, jerk. This went on for a few weeks. I thought it was the brakes. I had no lights indicating a problem. Long story short, the transmission had to be replaced. 97,000 miles as I am a courier. I changed the transmission fluid every 30,000-35,000 miles.
I know they aren't the same but I would have service check it out. I had a service contract, so my cost was 100.00.

#23 ·
Another problem was identified, when descending from the mountain, the engine speed rises to 5000 thousand per minute, is this normal? I signed up for a dealer on November 24, I can't wait for the diagnosis.

The tremors during braking have not disappeared, there is always a very noticeable crunch when stopping completely.

#25 ·
My 2019 cargo van also noticeably lurches (occasionally) when the transmission automatically downshifts in “C” mode from 3rd to 2nd gear while coming to a stop. I know it’s only between those two gears because as soon as the lurch happens, I’ll switch to “M” mode right away to see the gear I’m in — 2nd gear.

#26 ·
My 2021 has the 9 speed and surging on takeoff and downshifting abruptness were the first drivability "issues". I only have 375 miles so my transmission may still be adapting but I figure it's due to more downshifts and a low first gear (especially compared to my 4Runner with a 5 speed). If I am easier on both pedals not so bad. Not sure if it's the shift to 2nd or 1st that's most apparent, but as one who is a smooth driver, it's been initially annoying. I don't sense it as anything wrong in my case.

#28 ·
Metris 2021 mods at peace van.
750 miles on it.
When stopping off freeway and sometimes on city streets, the van surges back n forth like bucking while foot brake applied.
It doesn't last long but is not normal.

I write this just to notify others and will check in at dealer service to check.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.