Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been lurking on the site for a while, and I'm pretty close to pulling the trigger on a Metris CV. I currently drive a Frontier and absolutely love the truck. But I'm tired of my motorcycles being out in the elements, and also having to pitch a tent when at the race track. The Metris fits the bill perfectly in terms of size and looks. It's not a big box, it's same size as my current truck, and I can drive it around the city comfortably. The sales person I'm working with has put together a good package and price. Now it's just a matter of working through the deal.

The plan is to load 2 sport bikes in the back and use roof top carrier for extra cargo space. My guess, based on some of the pictures of Metris' with dirt bikes in the back, is that there wont be a lot of floor space for tools and boxes. Length of the bikes are about 8 feet to the tip of the wheels.

My frustration with buying a Metris has been finding one with everything I want. Everything is an option, even the 270 degree rear doors, which should be standard. It would be nice if there were different trim levels. But alas, that is not the case. So I can't find anything with the options that I want with two sliding doors and a trailer hitch. Impossible. So I'm foregoing the second door and getting an aftermarket hitch. Are there any clearance issues with the Curt or DrawTite hitches? Has anyone found air springs for the Metris? With the van loaded, I'm sure it will be riding lower than normal. And riding like that on 4 - 8 hour trips to the track does concern me a bit.

Lastly, I will have to put an L-track down the middle of the cargo area. Has anyone done that before? My options are to install a PitBull restraint system in the floor, or use a similar system that stabilizes the bikes using tie down. The L-track gives me more options. My concerns are the van I'm getting has the factory L-track system and flooring, which means I will either have to pull that up or cut into the flooring if I want them flush. Also, I'm worried about the drive line, wiring, or other items that might prevent me from drilling down the center.

I'm hoping the van works out. Even if I can just haul one bike and can camp in the back, the investment would be well worth it.

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
The van doesn't ride that much lower when fully loaded. I used it to move the remains of my inventory from my warehouse to my house (It could finally fit in my basement on pallet racks, so I ditched my warehouse).

I loaded it several times, one of which was an entire vanload of PVC raincoats. Dense. It may or may not have been a tad over 300 over its GVW. A little over 7100 lbs, in fact. It wasn't riding low in any noticeable way. I don't think your little lightweight dirt bikes will bother the attitude of the vans semi-trailing arm suspension.

·
Registered
258 Posts
I agree with greenmanedlion about the weight carrying ability. I couldn't find one with the options I wanted either and ended up ordering just what I wanted and it was worth the wait. I especially like the factory hitch and how it mates to the rear view camera. I use it a lot with a utility trailer and the hooking up has been faultless(so far!)

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That's good to know. I got nervous when I test drove the passenger version and the van dropped about 2 inches when 4 people got in. My 2 sportbikes will be about 800 lbs. plus tools is way under the max payload. So it sounds like the Metris will handle it with no problems.

And as much as I want to order one with everything I want, the deals for the 2016s are just too good to pass up right now. Though I'm sure I'm going to regret not getting one with the second sliding door. I may have to think about this for a bit before I commit to buying.

·
Registered
200 Posts
I drove the Cargo Van without the interior panels and thought it was pretty loud. Louder than my E-250 with no interior panels. I was forced into the passenger van due to options I needed and find it quiet beyond expectations. But, one needs a place to store the seats and the interior is a little more delicate. Also, the van's limo tint is probably around 70% and I may have to add aftermarket tint to really have it be opaque from the outside.

·
Registered
295 Posts
GogoKawi. Did you decide? I am looking at this for the same reasons you are...but for dirt bikes. I ride sport too. I'm not a van person but I really like this thing.

Lane

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
GogoKawi. Did you decide? I am looking at this for the same reasons you are...but for dirt bikes. I ride sport too. I'm not a van person but I really like this thing.

Lane

Unfortunately, the van I was going to get was sold to someone else, after I reserved it. I'm still pissed off about it. Luckily, I found the Metris I really wanted with all of the features that I want. I should have it sometime next week. Hopefully it will be delivered in time, since the plan is to hit the track next weekend. If I get it in time, I plan to post some pics of loading the track bikes in the back. I won't have the L-tracks installed, so I'll be using the regular d-rings.

Reactions: RobbMeeX

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The deal is done. I traded-in the Frontier today. I got a decent deal, 15% off MSRP with the MB rebate. I'm pretty stoked.

My van gets here Friday. So I have a loaner until then. I tested out loading the van with my street bike, 2011 Ninja 1000. It slid in with no problems, and it's a pretty big sport bike. I still had more than a foot of space in the back of the bike. And 2 bikes should fit with no problems if positioned correctly.

This van has the cargo partition. I'm really digging it. I'm going to see if one can be added aftermarket, though I think the OEM version can't. I will, without a shadow of a doubt, say that the mirrors are horrible. Actually, they are dangerous. I don't even want to drive the van without adding convex mirrors or something like that. I'm pretty sure I ran a couple of people off the road since I didn't see them. The fact that the van I have has the dealership's information and phone number on it probably won't bode well for them. I just saw the thread on the mirrors. I can't believe this vehicle was released with the current mirrors. I was told today that the 2017s will be fixed, and I can get them swapped out. I really hope so.

More to come once the real deal get here.

Attachments

·
Registered
295 Posts
Kawi, you got 15% the price? Can you tell us how much you paid? If you don't want to post if you PM that would be great. 15% off 30k is like 25.5k. TIA

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
He got it for a few hundred off invoice, and didn't make the mistake of letting the dealer include factory rebates in the discussion.

I got mine for invoice before there were factory incentives. Actually, before there were Metris's being ordered. I think I did well considering- I wish I got that kinda price though. ($40500 -> $37800)

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
The earlier you try to buy a new model, generally, the less good a deal you get. I was desperate for a new car, as my old car was rapidly approaching needing some expensive repairs, and I knew what I wanted. If you snag your car towards the end of the model year, when dealers are trying to move them... and in this case, when dealers and the company are a bit disappointed by the sales numbers- you'll get a better price.

I think I did extremely well, considering I was dickering price on what I wanted two days after the price sheets came in and a couple of weeks before the order books opened officially. I was one of the first retail deliveries in the country- and I got mine at the end of October. You bought yours in mid-November, back when they were still fairly scarce on the lots. You did pretty good at $2250 off- I only got $2800-someodd off and I used to negotiate prices for buying things for a living.

My inner cheap Jew sometimes feels the sting of knowing I could have bought it for $3300 or so less fairly easily if I waited until now- especially if I was willing to take a less-than-exactly-what-I-wanted lot model. But I really couldn't put off buying a car until now, unless I sank serious money into a dying car- money I wouldn't have made back by far when I sold it. Don't know what your circumstances were when you bought it, but theres no point in wondering what might have been.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
It took almost 2 weeks to get here, from Seattle to Virginia. But it finally made it! It has 90% of what I wanted. The rest will be handled aftermarket, L-tracks, inside paneling, and partition.

Roof rails were already purchased. I got the Malone 58" rails, which fit perfectly. I loaded the top case on my loaner last week and the held with no problem. Quick tip... The slope of the factory rails toward the rear of the van will make it seem like the Malone's don't fit. Just move them toward the center/front and you will be good to go.

I was fortunate enough to have a loaner for my trip to the track last weekend. I took it for a 7 hour one-way trip through the mountains while loaded with all of my motorcycle stuff. The van performed flawlessly! I had my track bike loaded on one side with my cot on the other side, all of my tools, food, generator, and other crap. And I still had some room to spare. Sleeping in it was comfortable, though I will have to insulate it. I am impressed. And the mirrors are crap, and dangerous! :mad:

There are some things that I find frustrating with the van. Most of that has been said elsewhere on the forum. But overall, it is just what I wanted: a cargo van that doesn't look like a work van but does everything you want in a van and handles like a car. :grin:

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
Great posts gogoKawi!

Please chime in with more pics once you have opportunity to attach L-tracks, motorcycle choke etc. I am looking to do the same but not sure how best approach it on the floor...

·
Registered
28 Posts
It took almost 2 weeks to get here, from Seattle to Virginia. But it finally made it! It has 90% of what I wanted. The rest will be handled aftermarket, L-tracks, inside paneling, and partition.

Roof rails were already purchased. I got the Malone 58" rails, which fit perfectly. I loaded the top case on my loaner last week and the held with no problem. Quick tip... The slope of the factory rails toward the rear of the van will make it seem like the Malone's don't fit. Just move them toward the center/front and you will be good to go.

I was fortunate enough to have a loaner for my trip to the track last weekend. I took it for a 7 hour one-way trip through the mountains while loaded with all of my motorcycle stuff. The van performed flawlessly! I had my track bike loaded on one side with my cot on the other side, all of my tools, food, generator, and other crap. And I still had some room to spare. Sleeping in it was comfortable, though I will have to insulate it. I am impressed. And the mirrors are crap, and dangerous! :mad:

There are some things that I find frustrating with the van. Most of that has been said elsewhere on the forum. But overall, it is just what I wanted: a cargo van that doesn't look like a work van but does everything you want in a van and handles like a car. :grin:
Is the van in the last pic the same as the others????

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks for the congrats!

Great posts gogoKawi!

Please chime in with more pics once you have opportunity to attach L-tracks, motorcycle choke etc. I am looking to do the same but not sure how best approach it on the floor...
I'm probably going to make a motorcycle specific thread with everything detailed. I'll be talking to the upfitter on Friday, who is installing a partition. I'm going to ask about getting a l-track down the middle of the cargo area. The Metris upfitter guide says that is a no-no. We'll see... The other option is to install tracks horizontally.

Is the van in the last pic the same as the others????
The silver van is the one I just bought. The white one with the double doors and loaded with the motorcycle was a loaner from the dealer. Both cargo vans.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Without any paneling, be really careful about denting from the inside out. Paintless dent removal is easy as well, but I"m sure you'd rather avoid both. Don't ask me how I know.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts