Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is what a 135 inch WB looks like with a twin bed and a road + mountain bike inside. This is the first protptype and I will be trying it and changing the lay out and bed sizes and height. I hope to keep it modular so it can adjust to what I am doing. My SUP's go on the roof but both fit over the bikes for storage (even the 12 foot 3 inch longboard. I am glad I got the longer WB. I will likely do a 30 inch wide bed for single travel.

Attachments

·
Read Only
0 Posts
Thanks! I was wondering what a bed set up would look like in a cargo van. I comfortably fit two bikes in my van with tool shelving on both sides. Still room to fit a cooler behind the bike tires.

Attachments

·
Registered
39 Posts
Bed and storage

I built a platform out of 1.5” pvc which is easily taken apart if I need to haul something. I carry windsurf boards on both sides of the van with my sails, masts and booms all under the platform. I travel 1800 miles, each way, to windsurf down by Corpus Christi for a month every spring. When I drive to Texas, I remove the board on the passenger side and store my mountain bike there. Plenty of room inside for everything. So far I’ve got 15000 miles on the van with zero problems. On the freeway, if I keep it around 65-70, I’ve gotten over 28 mpg. In Texas with the speed limit at 80, my mpg drops to 24. This van is perfect for me. I used to have a Nissan 1500 NV, which had more storage, but the best mpg I could get was 22 and it just felt huge. The Metris is fun to drive. I usually drive 900 miles each day on my way to Texas and pull into a rest area to sleep. I rent a condo on Padre Island while staying there for a month.

Attachments

·
Registered
98 Posts
I use a folding cot with a roll-up inflatable pad next my motorcycle. The cot just barely crosses halfway across the van. Since I have dual sliding doors, the built-in bed wasn't an option. But the cot works great, though that bed looks really comfy.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts