Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I test drove a passenger version Metris today (I am after a cargo version). The vehicle drove very well. Seats were firm but comfortable. The engine power was adequate although the truck was empty. Notable positive surprises were the turning radius - this turns tighter than many smaller passenger cars I've driven. That said, it's so tight that turns at the tightest radius will definitely burn tires as there was evident "pushing". The vehicle was surprisingly roomy yet didn't feel too big on the road.
A few complaints I have. The first is a major complaint and held me from purchasing (ordering) a vehicle today. That is the small side mirrors - particularly on the passenger side. With the passenger van this was less of an issue as shoulder checks are possible. However, the mirror is far too small for a commercial van without any side or rear windows. The mirror needs to be taller and include a blind spot mirror although the later could be an aftermarket add on if it didn't reduce visibility on the primary mirror further. Without Blind Spot Assist, I see these vehicles ending up in quite a few side-swipe accidents. I am very comfortable driving commercial vans and trucks and even for me, I was very nervous making passenger side lane changes using the mirrors only. That takes me to my next point.

The dealership had around a dozen cargo vans on order. Not one was ordered with the driver assist package which includes blind spot assist - big mistake in my opinion.

Rear wheel drive only has concerned me from the get go. Even with winter tires, this vehicle unless carrying substantial weight over the rear tires will be a challenge in the winter. Similar to a RWD pickup.

I was not impressed with the rear door hinges. These appear to be cast and as though someone spray painted them. The vehicles on site were showing paint chips on these hinges. I am concerned these will rust quickly. Another design flaw is that if the rear doors are opened fully and someone slides the side door open, these will hit each other causing damage to both doors. This had already been done in the dealership which made me notice the issue.

Disappointed that the vehicle came equipped with Hankook tires on both the passenger and cargo versions. I would have expected a higher quality tire from Mercedes from the likes of Continental, Pirelli or better yet, Michelin.

I was disappointed that the dealer seemed to know little about the vans. I realize they are new. However, I would expect the dealership / sales agent would know more about the vehicle than I do. Little knowledge in terms of paint choices (no paint chips available to assist in choosing colours), little upfitter knowledge etc.

Still a great vehicle but I am hesitant about purchasing in hopes these issues (particularly the mirrors ) will be remedied in the 2017 model (along with Diesel availability and AWD).

Overall, I had very high expectations of this vehicle and had been waiting since March when the vehicle was first announced and left without purchasing (thus disappointed). I may still end up ordering one soon as it still appears to be better than the closest competition (both larger and smaller). However, it won't be without the Drivers Assist Package for sure.

·
Registered
933 Posts
Thanks for that. Especially thinking about the mirrors and door openings.

I talked to our sales manager today, he said he ought to have a Metris for me to drive Friday for the weekend. I am excited and will keep an eye out for these ideas.

I'd like a diesel, but don't want to deal with the adBlue system.

·
Registered
933 Posts
I was not able to get a drive home on the Metris this week (Our dealership was doing a charity thing for veterans and took all the drive out tags with them), but I did lift one up on my rack and poke around. I inspected the hinges as they were a complaint in this thread. They were cast, but sturdy looking. I did see where the paint got scraped off but it served some purpose.
You mentioned door interference. MB anticipated this and put rubber guards to counteract damage. Of course carelessness (as you may find in a fleet with many misc drivers) would expedite damage, but if any care was taken (not slamming them into each other), they should be fine. A coworker and I closed the rear double doors backwards (passenger side first) with some force and it did no damage whatsoever.
I wanted to response to your thoughts with maybe a different point of view

·
Registered
4 Posts
It is my understanding that the passenger version is a fair amount heavier than the cargo version, and has a different suspension. I would be careful not to judge the driving manners of the van solely on a test drive of the passenger version. Or the cargo version for that matter.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the responses all. I actually test drove the cargo version today. I found it drove very similarly to the passenger version. This cargo version had the factory cargo partition in place. This also Made the van feel very different compared to the passenger version. It did not allow reclining of the seats very much. Although I understand this is to maximize the cargo capacity. That said, the seats could be set to a comfortable position.

Driving this cargo version reiterated my concerns with the small mirrors. This is exasperated by the fact that there are no rear side windows to look through on the cargo van. The demo model I drove also did not have the rear camera. Something I believe should be standard equipment on this model. Trying to back into parking spaces with this truck as equipped was a real challenge and I am a seasoned driver. Mercedes, if you are reading this, please please please improve the side mirrors on this truck. They need to be at least 50% taller. I can fix or deal with everything else but the mirrors on this truck are currently a major safety issue and deal breaker for me.

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
Thanks for the responses all. I actually test drove the cargo version today. I found it drove very similarly to the passenger version. This cargo version had the factory cargo partition in place. This also Made the van feel very different compared to the passenger version. It did not allow reclining of the seats very much. Although I understand this is to maximize the cargo capacity. That said, the seats could be set to a comfortable position.

Driving this cargo version reiterated my concerns with the small mirrors. This is exasperated by the fact that there are no rear side windows to look through on the cargo van. The demo model I drove also did not have the rear camera. Something I believe should be standard equipment on this model. Trying to back into parking spaces with this truck as equipped was a real challenge and I am a seasoned driver. Mercedes, if you are reading this, please please please improve the side mirrors on this truck. They need to be at least 50% taller. I can fix or deal with everything else but the mirrors on this truck are currently a major safety issue and deal breaker for me.
I agree that the van's mirrors are not ideal, although with the safety package, I can live with them. That being said, I'm not sure what the heck making them taller would accomplish. The problem is that they are not quite wide enough to cover the the space between the drivers window sightline and roughly 5 feet behind the rear bumper.

If you want my $3 solution: buy a pair of the round stick on convex mirrors and install them in the lower, inner corner of each mirror. Problem solved. You may be a seasoned driver, but I am a seasoned TRUCK driver, and my biggest bafflement isn't lack of cameras, its the lack of standard convex mirrors on all cars. The Sprinter has them, and it is a mystery to me why the Metris doesn't. That kind of mirror let me place the backend of 35' of 13 ton box truck with precision, it will certainly solve your sight issues with an under 17' Metris.

I don't understand why they do not put rear-view camera on every car, it costs just few pennies. Every Toyota and Honda has one now.
First of all, let me say that a backup camera of the kind Mercedes offers as a factory option is invaluable on the Metris. This is because with it being as long or longer than standard parking spaces, and with it being extremely wide (88" at the mirrors) you need to be able to place a Metris with a lot more precision in a parking spot than a more ordinary car, especially with its predictive guidelines. With a smaller car, you can just back into a spot by backing in such that your front end isn't hanging out. With the Metris, you really need to back up as far as possible without hitting the car behind you.

But on regular sized cars, I detest the damned things. They are an excuse for 1) Drivers to not need to know how to back up their car without a crutch, and 2) car companies not creating sane rear sight lines. The Metris passenger van, as much as I like it, has NO rear sightline, when all of the headrests in place. I couldn't even see an ambulance behind me! (I have since removed the middle headrests- they store nicely in the jack compartment in the rear of the truck)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts