Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I was finally able to arrange a test drive. I'm going to validate it further by doing a cargo and passenger drive back to back. I'm personally caught between them as to which will be better for me. Ideally a loaded up Cargo with one 3 seater would be ideal, but cost wise it seems to be better to just pay the extra for the passenger's bonuses.

So on the options list I'm debating on its worth:

Premium Colors: Black, Brown and Iridium are my favourites. Gotta pay $1190.

Roof Rails: If I decide to plop a canoe or two kayaks up top for extra strapping anchors. $470.

Active Parking Assist with PARKTRONIC: Could be handy at times, but is $930.

Rear View Camera: Need to see it in action, if it has good wide coverage at right height, it may be worth it. $760.

High Performance Air Conditioning: If I go Passenger and plan to do taxi things with it, then maybe it will be a good thing to have. $1200.

Reverse Warning System: Not sure if its just the beeping or if it has sensors, but may come in handy in crowded parking areas. Especially with foot traffic. So many careless people just walk by as your reverse. Holiday shopping especially. Maybe the beeping with wake them up? $130.

ECO Start/Stop Function: Will it improve fuel economy in congested traffic or just stress the starter further? $300.

Deluxe Appearance Package:
Like the bumpers being painted, but hate the 20 spoke rims. Prefer the 5 spoke original. $1140.

That is just what I was considering. Here is what I don't want:

Additional Battery For Retrofit: No idea what this is for. I imagine more for the handy man.

Programmable Special Module: See previous.

Cross Member Towing:
Will not be towing.

Electric Sliding Door: Cannot see this being cheap to repair after the warranty is up.

However I am kind of debating whether the swing doors or lift gate for the rear would be better.

I will continue to stress the details just because I do not want to regret something later on. I want to be 100% happy with it.

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
Premium Colors: Black, Brown and Iridium are my favourites. Gotta pay $1190.
I will tell you that the paint on my car, Navy Blue non premium, sucks. I like the color, but the quality of the paint is horrendous. I have more chips and scratches on my 14-month-old Metris than on my 23-year-old E300 Diesel with mega miles. I'm not sure how the premium paint differs- if it is just laced with metallic flakes, I wouldn't. If it's actually a superior paint (and it very well may be- Mercedes makes a wide variety of paint qualities) it is probably worth the money. I am already figuring out how to budget for a complete respray using something like a ceramic or self-healing paint, and I would put your $1.2k towards such a project if you plan on my term of ownership (until it falls apart).

Roof Rails: If I decide to plop a canoe or two kayaks up top for extra strapping anchors. $470.
This is one of those things that sounds really cool when you are thinking about it, but most people never do it. That being said, it is useful for carrying everything imaginable on the roof, such as a king-size mattress. It does, however, add to the height of an already tall vehicle, and will likely restrict your access to some places. Flip side- if you go into places you shouldn't, it will be what is damaged instead of the more expensive to fix roof.

Active Parking Assist with PARKTRONIC: Could be handy at times, but is $930.
Where do you live? If you live in the suburbs and almost never venture into parallel park land, this is a toy, and a not very useful one at that. If you are frequently parking in parallel spaces and find it troublesome with your B-class, it is a must. The Metris is a large vehicle (seriously- its one of the largest vehicles on the road- bigger than just about anything that isn't based on a full-size pickup), and you will find yourself passing up spots you would have tried with your B.

Rear View Camera: Need to see it in action, if it has good wide coverage at right height, it may be worth it. $760.
In my opinion, this camera is the superior Parktronic. It does NOT have good wide coverage, as you put it, and it is aimed unusually low for a back up camera. What it does have is micrometrical guidelines that tell you where the vehicle tires and width extremes are going to go given the current wheel position, and a perfect view of any static or slow moving objects in your path. Parking with this camera is a breeze. It does not help at all, however, with vehicles approaching at speed. Odd as it may seem, I would honestly pay the $760 for it over a much cheaper after market system for the guidelines, and especially so when coupled with the flip-up tailgate

High Performance Air Conditioning: If I go Passenger and plan to do taxi things with it, then maybe it will be a good thing to have. $1200.
You live in Manitoba, right? I know you are certainly Canadian since you have a B-class that isn't electric. I live in New Jersey, which is not insanely hot but is warmer in the summer than just about anywhere in Canada. Unless you anticipate spending many hours in the car with the engine idling to provide air-conditioning in 90+ heat, you don't need the air-conditioning enhancement this offers. In the US you can get Climatronic without the enhanced A/C, which would make sense since its a 2/3 zone system (2 zone cargo, 3 zone passenger). But the standard A/C does a decent job of impersonating Bruce Springsteen's 10th Avenue Freeze-Out under any condition but 90+ sunny day idling. Keep in mind that the regular old Tempmatic system that comes standard does automatically regulate vent temperature, albeit with manual fan controls.

Just for temperature information: I have had a strong desire to move to Winnipeg- because, not in spite, of the climate. I like it COLD.

Reverse Warning System: Not sure if its just the beeping or if it has sensors, but may come in handy in crowded parking areas. Especially with foot traffic. So many careless people just walk by as your reverse. Holiday shopping especially. Maybe the beeping with wake them up? $130.
You don't actually want this, I tend to think. Its not that it is not potentially useful at times to alert people you are backing up. It very much is. However, this system can not be shut off, nor can it be volume reduced without it blaring at full volume briefly. That means when you are backing in or backing out of your house early in the morning or late at night, your neighbors will be treated to your back up beeper. I've had these on other vehicles. Unless you want to figure out how to wire a dash-mounted off switch, you probably will seriously regret this feature.

ECO Start/Stop Function: Will it improve fuel economy in congested traffic or just stress the starter further? $300.
Will it stress the starter a bit? Sure. But the engine that is started with this system is already lubricated and on its way to warming up (eco shut off is different than a full shut off), and the starting feature is designed with this in mind. Will it save fuel? That depends how much stop and go and around town driving you engage in, and how often it is below freezing (the system is disabled below freezing). I wouldn't go without it.

Deluxe Appearance Package: Like the bumpers being painted, but hate the 20 spoke rims. Prefer the 5 spoke original. $1140.
Obviously, this is entirely a matter of personal opinion. You can still get the five-spoke wheel, I think, with painted bumper. I can not overstate how much the painted bumper changes the characteristic of the van. Black bumper says van, painted bumper says Mercedes. Which you are looking for is a matter of opinion, and how well it goes over with people you know. In my neighborhood, I would have been better off saying Van, although I really don't give a hoot what my neighbors think.

Additional Battery For Retrofit: No idea what this is for. I imagine more for the handy man.
Its not just for the handyman. It is also great for somebody who spend a lot of time not moving in their van and wants to use various electric accessories, such as seat heaters, the excellent stereo, or power inverters for powering things such as lap tops. The system will drain the secondary battery, but will not let you drain the main battery in this case, preventing you from stranding yourself and greatly extending the amount of time you can spend in your van with the engine off. Since my van is effectively my office, I wish I had ordered this.

Programmable Special Module: See previous.
If you don't plan on powering anything, converting into a camper, or towing a trailer, this is completely useless feature for you.

Cross Member Towing: Will not be towing.
Yes, if you are never going to tow, you don't need a tow bar.

Electric Sliding Door: Cannot see this being cheap to repair after the warranty is up.
No kidding. Not to mention that any reasonably able bodied or mildly infirm person can open a manual sliding door.

However I am kind of debating whether the swing doors or lift gate for the rear would be better.
You want the lift gate. You do not want the 180-degree doors. If you are going cargo, I could make an argument for the 270 doors, but only if you think you will be regularly be backing up to tight loading docks. The lift gate provides a superior rear view, and provides cover for loading, unloading, or tailgating in the rain. The lift gate is about 6'6" off the ground, so unless you are unusually tall, it will provide no issue with your standing below it. It further has the advantage when it comes to rear view cameras- on the double doors it is mounted in a fixed position and more off center (thus, it provides a less accurate picture and can get rain and road grime on the lens), on the tailgate the camera is mounted just left of the exterior handle, and it folds up when not in use- keeping it clean for when you are actually using it.

There is a drawback to the lift gate I should point out. The double doors have an interior handle that allows you to exit the van from inside easily. The lift gate does not- it has a removable panel that you can (rather painfully) manually release the latch in an emergency, but nothing easily used. I configure my van with the 3-seater in the second row and the 2-seater in the third. I rarely use the two seats, and it makes it easier to enhance cargo space (the 3-seat seat is insanely heavy and nearly impossible to remove through the back door). However, I only let my wife ride back there (she can squeeze between the three seater and the side door if there was an emergency) because realistically I have to let her out.

SUGGESTED OPTIOM- Cold Weather Package

You live in Canada. Its cold in the winter in Canada. The cold weather package contains two components- heated front seats and an auxiliary electric heater. I personally like heated seats- It has been a decade since I owned a car without them, and I will never go back. But one can live without that in Canada.

What you CAN NOT live without is the electric auxiliary heater. Older cars engines heated up and produced warm air relatively quickly, but newer car engines (going back at least 20 years) actually heat up very slowly. The reason for this is that all wasted heat from the engine is recirculated into heating up the emissions control systems as quickly as possible, and spare heat is not directed into the cabin. Most decent cars, including your B-class, have an auxiliary electric heater that produces heat almost immediately. It is so common on decent cars, it usually isn't even listed among standard features. It is NOT standard on the Metris, it is part of the cold weather package. And trust me, unless you want to dress like a polar explorer in the morning, you want it!

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks very much for your input on these items Green. Many of which I will bring up to the salesman and hopefully be able to try or witness on that day.

I will be choosing all 6 of the packages available. What I listed is just what I am on the fence about and the build site doesn't explain how it beneficial.

I have plans for the van to eventually turn it into a weekender type camper as a secondary duty. So those items I didn't want may end up replacing a couple from the "maybe" pile.

My B200 is slow to heat up and keep hot on 20 below temps, especially when driving. Something to do with intentioanl air flow around the engine. Plus the turbo is another thing that needs additional cooling (already water cooled). It may have the cord somewhere, but I havent seen it yet. Never used a block heater before if thats what that is.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Hey Green,

Is the Reverse Warning System something that I can see on the window sticker? Or do they bury that in one of the packages? I want to make sure the passenger van I am looking at doesn't have that. I definitely don't need or want that option and don't want to find out I got it once I get home!

Thanks,
John

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
As for that electric auxiliary heater I've never experienced one after researching it. Sounds like a great thing to have. Is it activate seperately or when you start it up? In winter that should be fine, but you wouldn't want it on in summer.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Awesome post, Road_Ghost. Clear, concise, and to the point. Fantastic feedback GreenManedLion.
These are a lot of the same questions that I have had.

Barn doors or flip-up tailgate:
I need the barn doors because I plan to carry a kayak. When you open the flipgate doors, it's like the last 5" of the van hinges open. Could easily interfere with a kayak.

The sales person I was working with said the door was heavy and I would have difficulties. I'm almost 5'2" and 120lbs. Had ZERO trouble reaching the pull tab or opening/closing the flipgate. Not sure how hard the door would hit a strapped-down kayak if you let it fly up..... If it didn't interfere with a kayak, I'd be sold on the flipgate for visibility alone.

Eco start/stop:
GML - I'm now sold on it.

Electric sliding door:
Agree...it's probably necessary if you run a passenger service in inclement weather, but another point of failure. If you get a model with a flipgate you'll have manual side doors for exit/entry for camping.

I am hoping to try out my Rhino Rack T-Loader next week on any available Metris so I know how it works. Maybe I'll get poor, tortured salesperson to film it :^O.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Green, is it similar to this Sprinter's application? If so, yes, great option to have in winter especially if you have nowhere to plug in your block heater.

https://youtu.be/Sqvlquo7JkI

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi all, I just joined today and really want to buy a metris (passenger).

I want to share my experience when using the passenger van. I have been driving a 3-row cars for 10 years.

I had a Toyota FWD Noah (High body van) in HK for 8 years. That had 2 sliding side doors and was powered by a 2000cc NA engine with 158 horse power. It is good for moving around with gentle slopes. Currently, I have a MB R350 4matic and a Ford Expedition in Vancouver. I want to replace the Expedition with a Metris due to the oil consumption purpose.

In July 2016, I rented a MB Metris 8 passenger to travel between LAX and San Diego for 2 weeks. We had 4 adults and 3 kids under 8. Since it run mostly on highway and flat land, the 2000cc turbo engine was well powered. The air conditioner was good especially for the rear room. What it was not as good as my last Toyota Noah is that the 3rd-row seat cannot be folded up for more cargo space. And I don't like the gear stick on the steering wheel but I can adapt.

For roof rails
I need them for ski.

For parking assist
I personally do not need it but my wife does.

For rear cam
I really need it. I hit the rear bumper of the Metris under rental to an 1 meter post when parking.

For rear air-condition
It is vital for 3-row passenger car. That is why I cannot consider 4runner. I summer, the kids at the back will sweat if you don't have it.

For reverse warning system
Good to have if you like to park with the front-in manner. When you back off, it is safer. I can see many pick-up trucks have this feature.

Eco Start/Stop
I personally don't like start engine so frequently.

Deluxe Appearance package
I prefer 1 more set of wheels on winter tires.

Towing packing,
I need a bike rack and I need this.

Powered Sliding door.
MUST equip due to:
1) Driver can control the open/close action.
2) when you park on down-slope, closing the sliding door is dangerous if it is a manual one. The door is free-falling to stop. Besides, kids are strong enough to open it. My last Toyota Noah did not come with powered door I regret I made this decision not to include it.

I just finished a trip between Vancouver and Kelowna. Part of roads on mountain was covered with snow. I wondered whether the RWD Metris with snow tires can handle the condition. That is the only concern before I can pay to buy Metris.

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
As for that electric auxiliary heater I've never experienced one after researching it. Sounds like a great thing to have. Is it activate seperately or when you start it up? In winter that should be fine, but you wouldn't want it on in summer.
It is controlled by the Tempmatic/Climatronic system and is used only when the setting demands heat and the engine is not producing it. So in the summer, where your cabin temp exceeds the set temperature, it isn't activated.

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
Just a note: all passenger Metris vans have a second, rear mounted A/C unit. The enhanced air units "enhancement" is a third condenser and evaporator unit to make the system viable in high temperature idle situations where the lack of airflow precludes effective evaporation and condensing.

Hey Green,

Is the Reverse Warning System something that I can see on the window sticker? Or do they bury that in one of the packages? I want to make sure the passenger van I am looking at doesn't have that. I definitely don't need or want that option and don't want to find out I got it once I get home!

Thanks,
John
It's strictly stand alone.

Green, is it similar to this Sprinter's application? If so, yes, great option to have in winter especially if you have nowhere to plug in your block heater.

https://youtu.be/Sqvlquo7JkI
It's not a plug in. It's powered off the vehicles electric system, and results in hot air being available from the vents within a minute or so of startup

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Is it like in the video?

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I just thought about the fuel tank size too.

I figured at minimum it should be 80 L, nope....only 70 L (18.5 gallons).

My B200 has 54 L tank, but I average 8.6 L per 100 kms with spirited driving in [C] mode.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Too bad it didn't work off a timer. That would be handy for those extra cold mornings.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I found a pdf explaining all the extras and features. Really handy to review BEFORE you purchase your vehicle. As I've implied, I personally want to be 100% happy after jumping in. None of this "I didn't know" or "I should have ordered it because getting it installed afterward will be triple the cost", and yadda, yadda, yadda. :D

Attachments

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I will continue to use my due diligence. :)

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Tomorrow is the day. This is my final option list. If there is anything worth adding and recommended for whatever reason, please explain. I want to keep this vehicle as long as possible and if the love is deep enough my final new car purchase.

Anything to look for in particular during the drives? I am aware of the side mirrors. :grin:

BOTH have the leatherette option checked.

$49,330 Being Conservative

Cold Weather Package
Comfort Seat Package
Luxury Interior Package
Driving Assistance Package
Deluxe Appearance Package
------------> I do not want the 20 spoke wheels, only painted bumpers. The 5 spoke rims I want are $920 stand alone
Convenience Package
Navigation - Becker MAP PILOT
Rear view camera
Halogen fog lamps
ECO start-stop function
Tailgate

$53,030 Going Overboard

Above PLUS:

Roof rails
Additional Battery for retrofit
Active Parking Assist with PARKTRONIC
High performance air conditioning