Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

I am just going to start a new thread and add the introduction in here as well. I would like to introduce TerraCamper North America to all of you. We receive emails and questions about the Metris conversions on a daily basis and we are thrilled about it.
Just a short update for everyone who is interested in TerraCamper or we might get interested in our modular furniture conversion in general.

We are currently still in the process to get all the certificates and tests done to become a Mercedes Benz Master Upfitter - we are really close I can say that!
Since we are a Mercedes Benz Van partner in Germany we had a pretty good idea of what to do and where to go - that did not quite play out as we thought. The tests, certificates and law are different in the US. That means we are currently going through tests for the flooring, the seats and the pop up roof - but it will be done soon.

We are starting to prepare our prototype van now and are planning on delivering the first customer van in early 2017. To keep in touch and updated on the process of the prototype and other customer projects - you can visit us on Facebook here https://www.facebook.com/MetrisVan/ or just contact me directly.

Please don't hesitate to ask any questions you guys may have.

Best regards,

Patrick

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Update on Metris pop up roof

We are very proud to announce that testing process according to the US standards and laws is in progress. Our pop up roof is fully approved and certified from Mercedes Benz Germany and the German authorities, unfortunately, the United States have different testing standards and procedures - that requires new testings for the US market.

In regard of approved seats in the back of the MB Metris, our information is that the Cargo version is not eligible for any passenger transport due to the missing upper body impact protection system (window curtain airbags). Because of that we decided to build our conversions on the passenger van and adapted the furniture accordingly to insure the full function and protection of the airbag system. Our seat system will be pull tested according to the US standards, as again the German pull tests are different and not valid in the US.

Our tests will take a little longer, but we are very confident to deliver the first fully approved and tested customer vehicles in the beginning of 2017.

We will keep you updated as we go.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Here are some pics of the furniture kit we have coming now. We are so excited to start.
I like the progress you guys are making so far, furniture is looking good, fortunately it doesn't look like anything coming from Ikea :D

Now to see a Metris fully fitted with all of that.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Warren,
thank you for your feedback. We will be posting pictures of the progress, stay tuned!

·
Banned
2,517 Posts
I like IKEA. I think the sell good furniture, although it is ugly. Also their smoke salmon is really good and their seasonal food is really good. But I love smoked fish.

·
Registered
470 Posts
We're looking for something semi-permanent. Hope these are a possibility.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Lots of good info in your facebook page. But, at least for me, a traditional website would be easier to follow the product/service you can provide.

Just a suggestion...

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
@ MOWO yes, the concept is to be able to take all the furniture pieces (except the side panels where water and technology parts are installed) out and use the van as a regular day to day driver.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
@ qnf We are currently working on the translation of our German website. It should be up and running in a few weeks. Thank you for your feedback.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Update on the prototype

Hello everyone,
we had some busy days and now here is an update.
We installed the crash tested flooring system and the furniture kit in our prototype and we are stoked about the result.
Having the tested flooring system gives us the opportunity to have passengers in the back and offer the same safety as before.

We are now finishing up the pop up roof and the FMVSS required crash test is already scheduled.
Check out the pictures and let us know what you think.

I am also going to put a newsletter together for our followers, please let me know if you would like to be on the list.

Here are some pictures :smile:

Attachments

·
Registered
9 Posts
I see that you guys using SCA roofs hope thats going to keep the pricing down a little as they are cheaper than Reimo. Will you guys sell roof kits that are available in Europe or you can only supply a roof as part of the installation?

·
Registered
470 Posts
So this flooring system will be 'modular'? Thats what I have wanted... our Metris to be a 'weekend' camper where we can easily take out the cabinets and put them in storage so I can use the cargo van space for work. Any timeline on availability in USA?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
@wintu Yes we are the general distributor for the SCA pop up roof for the west coast of the United States. We are able to sell the pop up roof without the whole TerraCamper conversion, but we need to do the install - for quality insurance and liability reasons.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
@MOWO Yes, the furniture is modular. The only two pieces that can't be removed are the side panels, that is where the technology parts are installed. All other furniture pieces can be removed and you have the whole back available. With our crash tested flooring system and the matching seats, your van can be used as a regular van when you are not traveling. We are on home stretch with finalizing the prototype, we should be starting the production in January 2017.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
We are now working on a weekly newsletter with updates and status on the release dates. Please message us your email address if you're interested and we will provide you with the newsletter.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts