Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

I would like to introduce TerraCamper North America to all of you. We receive emails and questions about the Metris conversions on a daily basis and we are thrilled about it.
Just a short update for everyone who is interested in TerraCamper or we might get interested in our modular furniture conversion in general.

We are currently still in the process to get all the certificates and tests done to become a Mercedes Benz Master Upfitter - we are really close I can say that!
Since we are a Mercedes Benz Van partner in Germany we had a pretty good idea of what to do and where to go - that did not quite play out as we thought. The tests, certificates and law are different in the US. That means we are currently going through tests for the flooring, the seats and the pop up roof - but it will be done soon.

We are starting to prepare our prototype van now and are planning on delivering the first customer van in early 2017. To keep in touch and updated on the process of the prototype and other customer projects - you can visit us on Facebook here https://www.facebook.com/MetrisVan/ or just contact me directly.

Please don't hesitate to ask any questions you guys may have.

Best regards,

Patrick

·
Registered
12 Posts
Thank you for the update and very keen to know more about your conversion. Can you give us ballpark idea of the cost of the conversion? For example I am just looking for a weekender type of conversion with just the pop top and maybe folding seats. Others are after the full camper. What type of conversions are you planning to offer and most importantly how much for say a Pop top installation vs a full westy style version.
Thanks,
Larry

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Larry,

thank you for you post. We are currently working on a couple different versions of the TerraCamper. For all the models we install two side modules behind the sliding doors for the water, technology and so on. Those two modules have to stay in the vehicle. The kitchen element, the two foldable captain seats and the downstairs bed can be taken out at any time to free up space in the back. In case you need to use the vehicle during the week for day to day things. We replace the original flooring with a tested and certified smart floor system where we connect the modules and the seats. Our modular furniture is made out of an aluminum frame, the doors and panels are made out of super light weight material that does not take any water or other fluids.
The reason why we are using captain seats instead of a bench is simply the weight and the size of the bench. We want to make sure that a single person can convert the van back to a day to day driver or convert it back to the camper van. Another reason for the captain seats is that we fold the seats down to unfold the bed on the bottom. The bed is installed behin the seats and will be folded over the seats when it is time to sleep.

For this conversion including the pop up roof and bed our estimated price is around $30,000. Again, this will provide a tested flooring system, modular furniture, two foldable captain seats, a downstairs bed and the installed pop up roof.

I hope this post helps and please don't hesitate to contact me directly.

Best regards,
Patrick

·
Banned
2,517 Posts
I think that would be a non sequitur.

AWD, I don't know- that depends on whether Mercedes thinks there will be demand- the certification process in the US makes offering model variations a lot more difficult than in Europe- they are largely set up as protectionist measures for the domestic auto industry, a legacy of a very different world when they were set up. The V-class isn't an option, its a different model based on the same chassis- and I suspect we won't see it for this generation.

The diesel engine? I suspect we will not see a OM651 diesel Metris here. I think, due to the complexity of the certification process and the situation surrounding Dieselgate, and the fact that Mercedes is not selling any class 1 diesels so far for 2017, when they start to certify class-1 (different emissions standards than class 2 and class 3 vehicles like the Sprinter) diesels again, it will be the new OM654 engine that just debuted. And the Metris will not see a diesel until the Vito receives the OM654.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Very interested in this development. We have been waiting for decades for a VW Weekender or a Camper successor. Please keep us posted.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts