Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner

281 - 282 of 282 Posts

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
I just want to clarify- when I say repairs, I mean expenditures over and above the standard reccomended mileage/time work listed in the book. Those expenses are roughly the same whether your van is in or out of warranty and don’t count towards age-related repair.

i intend to keep this thing until body integrity becomes a major problem, or it stops providing sufficiently reliable transportation. I have never in my life had a Mercedes fail to do the latter- even at over a million miles.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Unfortunate, but likely not the norm....there's probably well in excess of 300,000 M274 powered vehicles on north american roads at this point....and I bet very few of them have broken down. Broken down in a haze of blue smoke sounds a lot like a blown turbo....which is not really the engine's fault. I saw that happen to a big rig only a few days ago on the freeway. Turbo failure is not common....we've had several MB diesels in our family with 300,000+ on the original turbo still going strong.

Your being too lenient. I'd be all over them like a pack of hornets until they picked that thing up and got it fixed ASAP. I'd also be demanding an immediate and equivalent or better loaner. Gotta make them pay for your inconvenience.
Speaking of O2 sensors with long leads, my sled is back on the road. Turns out it was a combination of thermostat and lambda sensor that made it blow blue.

Took me $800 of Canadian pesos to recover the old girl and get her back to work - let's see if M-B makes good on their 'trip interruption' promise to reimburse. Remember that that taking a kid to school can turn into a 2500 km 15 day odyssey in your Metris. Buy extended warranty !

281 - 282 of 282 Posts