Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner

261 - 280 of 283 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Alrighty, I wondered if you guys could help me
Sorry, this is TLDR...

We need a new vehicle for many reasons, and after much deliberation settled on either the Toyota awd sienna or the metris to replace our chevy beauville.

I daily drive the beauville and put on 800 miles a week. It is mostly used for hauling kids, but it gets used occasionally for farm items. It has had things like, a full size tractor 3 point hitch wood chipper in it, construction staging, lumber, building supplies, livestock, etc in it...
I have a truck as well, but its condition keep warrants an AG plate on it, which limits its range to 30 miles. Sometimes due o weather it is just easier to use a van than a pickup too.

Our other vehicles are high mile beater 240 volvo's and a high mile 80 series land cruiser.

Anyway, something is always down for repairs (i once was a certified mech, worked doing auto restoration, etc, so i do our maintenance, rebuilding, etc), and with the kids, farm infrastructure projects, business projects etc we decided we need one new car to gain enough time to catch up with life.

The replacement needs to get at least 20mpg average, seat 7 min, drive in serious winter weather at least with winter tires ( west central NH, the beauville has studded duratracs in the winter (and i pull the timbren springs out for winter and put weight in the back, and a chain if needed, though it usually is fine, starting the 4l60e in 2nd works really well on ice and slop)

Either way i am hoping to have time to get my truck back up to a point where i can fully register it, and the van will not have to do too many farm jobs, to save wear on it. It would be nice if it could tow my tractor, but it is not a deal breaker, and i would like to save wear on it anyway... my truck is easier to service than anything new.

Honestly i like the metris better than the sienna in almost every way for our purposes, ( i have not driven one yet, but have been in one, going to drive one this week) I love the interior on the metris and dislike the toyotas, but i could live with it.

Really the thing holding me back from the metris is proven dependability, I cannot find proof of general high miles and reliability for them, where i can for the toyota.
Parts and maintenance, and knowledge resource will also be easier with the toyota.

I have not found much with the w274, or 270 with over 200k...

Additionally winter could be an issue, and the Toyota has awd, and while i have always driven rwd, and they usually work for me it is snow performance is vehicle dependent, not drive dependent.
The volvo 240 is great in the snow with proper tires, my current van is fine too. We have the 80 series if the weather is completely wild, but my wife usually takes it in the winter (she cannot call out even durring the worst blizzard, In this case i usually have no need to leave home).

Anyone want to talk me in to one or the other? I would love to still be driving the thing in 10 years +200k, but maybe that is a tall order for any new vehicle.

Thanks!
I bought my Metris in Jan of 2017 with 6700 miles on it. I now have 123,500, and had to replace the turbo on it. 4,000 dollars later and not having it for a month my opinion on this vehicle has changed. I had oil changed every 10,000 miles which the owners manual suggested. Dealership wanted $200 dollars to change, found a place to change for $100, but had to supply filter. Have put premium gas in vehicle from the start. Love the space, but in the end vehicle is too expensive to maintain. The Toyota by far is a better family vehicle, I went with the Metris because I Uber with mine. Also had problems with getting parts if you choose not to pay high cost of dealership repairs.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Alrighty, I wondered if you guys could help me
Sorry, this is TLDR...

We need a new vehicle for many reasons, and after much deliberation settled on either the Toyota awd sienna or the metris to replace our chevy beauville.

I daily drive the beauville and put on 800 miles a week. It is mostly used for hauling kids, but it gets used occasionally for farm items. It has had things like, a full size tractor 3 point hitch wood chipper in it, construction staging, lumber, building supplies, livestock, etc in it...
I have a truck as well, but its condition keep warrants an AG plate on it, which limits its range to 30 miles. Sometimes due o weather it is just easier to use a van than a pickup too.

Our other vehicles are high mile beater 240 volvo's and a high mile 80 series land cruiser.

Anyway, something is always down for repairs (i once was a certified mech, worked doing auto restoration, etc, so i do our maintenance, rebuilding, etc), and with the kids, farm infrastructure projects, business projects etc we decided we need one new car to gain enough time to catch up with life.

The replacement needs to get at least 20mpg average, seat 7 min, drive in serious winter weather at least with winter tires ( west central NH, the beauville has studded duratracs in the winter (and i pull the timbren springs out for winter and put weight in the back, and a chain if needed, though it usually is fine, starting the 4l60e in 2nd works really well on ice and slop)

Either way i am hoping to have time to get my truck back up to a point where i can fully register it, and the van will not have to do too many farm jobs, to save wear on it. It would be nice if it could tow my tractor, but it is not a deal breaker, and i would like to save wear on it anyway... my truck is easier to service than anything new.

Honestly i like the metris better than the sienna in almost every way for our purposes, ( i have not driven one yet, but have been in one, going to drive one this week) I love the interior on the metris and dislike the toyotas, but i could live with it.

Really the thing holding me back from the metris is proven dependability, I cannot find proof of general high miles and reliability for them, where i can for the toyota.
Parts and maintenance, and knowledge resource will also be easier with the toyota.

I have not found much with the w274, or 270 with over 200k...

Additionally winter could be an issue, and the Toyota has awd, and while i have always driven rwd, and they usually work for me it is snow performance is vehicle dependent, not drive dependent.
The volvo 240 is great in the snow with proper tires, my current van is fine too. We have the 80 series if the weather is completely wild, but my wife usually takes it in the winter (she cannot call out even durring the worst blizzard, In this case i usually have no need to leave home).

Anyone want to talk me in to one or the other? I would love to still be driving the thing in 10 years +200k, but maybe that is a tall order for any new vehicle.

Thanks!
Well I like my !etris and get about 25 mpg ( U.S.) on the highway but the deciding factor for u might be the 5’0000 lb towing capacity for pulling yr tractor? I think the toyota is way less?

·
Registered
5 Posts
I see our OP got a good deal. I wanted to let him know there's good deals out there.

I just got mine home for $27,000 even, a 2018 with 9 miles. Passenger, split rear, comfort & comfort, heated seats etc. It does lack cruise. Sticker was just over $40k.
I thought I was getting a decent deal yesterday on a stripper, cargo worker. Looking for a mid size van for camper. The deal was bascially the same 27k plus their destiantion fees etc. The sticker price of the truck was 28k, as it was very bare bones. I backed out today because I felt I needed more education and they were very high pressure. Where is a good dealer to look for a deal like some of you all got?

Ford transit connect has major issues, beyond what most see on forums. I also saw LTE on my sticker but was reassured that it needed a module to behave like the 'connect'.. I did a radiation test on the Metris I was going to buy & it was fine. I was concerned about something being turned on later or being tracked. .. I'll buy an aerostar if I have to to avoid that. lolz

Anyhoo, I was very impressed w/ the Metris. . The cloth seats aren't quite as good as the ones in my xB, believe it or not. I have experience working in the automotive field and a degree in the field. .. now retired. I'd like to pick up a low mile, under 10k w/ some time still left on the warranty and stay near 20k money wise. ..or new.. I don't mind bare bones, but I don't want to get taken on the deal.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Another question I have is can I use 87 octane in a 2020 even though it now says required? Health issues don't really allow me to use premium fuel. Don't ask. lolz

·
Registered
349 Posts
I wouldn't use 87, the dealer filled mine up with it before I drove it home when I bought it, when I refueled with a full tank of premium the increase in power (and 3+ mpg) was significant.

As for the ford transit connect video:

If that stuff were true I'd have been doomed a long time ago, having worked 13+ years in data centers, server rooms, and in places completely crammed with electronics for the majority of that time....including piles of cell phones, tablets, laptops, etc. So far so good....my eyes haven't cooked out yet.

·
Registered
2,382 Posts
The danger from electronic radiation is very real; it is a slow killer but it does kill you, via increasing the chance of you getting cancer. If you want to move out to somewhere in the Yukon or Northwest Territories you might be able to substantially reduce your exposure.

if that is your goal I reccomend a Sprinter 4x4 equipped for overlanding, not a Metris.

The problem with your logic is that this radiation is low-level, widespread, and by its nature highly diffused even at its billions or possibly trillions of points of origin. You reducing the emissions of this stuff from your own car will have a very minimal effect on your own Health and a diminimus effect on the world at large. You are trying to stay dry by removing water from your sinking boat with a thimble as you break apart in the ocean.

The Metris is less electronics superfluous than most cars on the road today, but what you really want is a 1980s Mercedes T-1 or Vanagon diesel. The Metris is still an electronics intensive machine what with its direct injection and highly computerized engine- more highly computerized than most Japanese or American motors, in fact.

I’m not dismissing your fear; I am telling you that if you want to assuage your exposure to it in a even slightly measurable way, you are going to need to do a lot more radical stuff than picking the Metris as your car.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Greetings from a New Metris owner :cool:

Got my 2019 passenger Metris few days ago in PA for $28,400 with 0% financing for 36 m from MBFC. There are some 2018 MY passenger Metris left for appr. $25K with just 11-15 miles on them.

·
Registered
5 Posts
The danger from electronic radiation is very real; it is a slow killer but it does kill you, via increasing the chance of you getting cancer. If you want to move out to somewhere in the Yukon or Northwest Territories you might be able to substantially reduce your exposure.

if that is your goal I reccomend a Sprinter 4x4 equipped for overlanding, not a Metris.

The problem with your logic is that this radiation is low-level, widespread, and by its nature highly diffused even at its billions or possibly trillions of points of origin. You reducing the emissions of this stuff from your own car will have a very minimal effect on your own Health and a diminimus effect on the world at large. You are trying to stay dry by removing water from your sinking boat with a thimble as you break apart in the ocean.

The Metris is less electronics superfluous than most cars on the road today, but what you really want is a 1980s Mercedes T-1 or Vanagon diesel. The Metris is still an electronics intensive machine what with its direct injection and highly computerized engine- more highly computerized than most Japanese or American motors, in fact.

I’m not dismissing your fear; I am telling you that if you want to assuage your exposure to it in a even slightly measurable way, you are going to need to do a lot more radical stuff than picking the Metris as your car.
I love how people come up w/ these conclusions in their heads and then expand upon it as if it's fact, in the form of a long winded thesis. Yes, investigating a metris is the only mitigation I've EVER done as far as mitgation of EMF radiation. ?? As someone who's never used a cell phone or wireless anything, I can tell you all that radiation has done nothing to help mitigate bloated egos.

·
Registered
57 Posts
My 2017 psgr Metris is dead by the side of the road after 50k km - 5 days short of warranty expiration. Went down in a haze of blue smoke. Roadside assistance has still not collected the carcass and they don't give me updates. I was enjoying it until it stopped, though. Good luck!

·
Registered
349 Posts
Unfortunate, but likely not the norm....there's probably well in excess of 300,000 M274 powered vehicles on north american roads at this point....and I bet very few of them have broken down. Broken down in a haze of blue smoke sounds a lot like a blown turbo....which is not really the engine's fault. I saw that happen to a big rig only a few days ago on the freeway. Turbo failure is not common....we've had several MB diesels in our family with 300,000+ on the original turbo still going strong.

Your being too lenient. I'd be all over them like a pack of hornets until they picked that thing up and got it fixed ASAP. I'd also be demanding an immediate and equivalent or better loaner. Gotta make them pay for your inconvenience.

·
Registered
349 Posts
I love how people come up w/ these conclusions in their heads and then expand upon it as if it's fact, in the form of a long winded thesis. Yes, investigating a metris is the only mitigation I've EVER done as far as mitgation of EMF radiation. ?? As someone who's never used a cell phone or wireless anything, I can tell you all that radiation has done nothing to help mitigate bloated egos.
Unless you live in a lead-shielded bunker or in an extreme-rural location, your getting plenty of EMF whether or not you use a cell phone or wireless anything. The fact your on this forum means there's plenty of EMF in your vicinity. We're bombarded 24/7 by radiation from space much much worse than anything your local wireless device is going to throw at you.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Unfortunate, but likely not the norm....there's probably well in excess of 300,000 M274 powered vehicles on north american roads at this point....and I bet very few of them have broken down. Broken down in a haze of blue smoke sounds a lot like a blown turbo....which is not really the engine's fault. I saw that happen to a big rig only a few days ago on the freeway. Turbo failure is not common....we've had several MB diesels in our family with 300,000+ on the original turbo still going strong.

Your being too lenient. I'd be all over them like a pack of hornets until they picked that thing up and got it fixed ASAP. I'd also be demanding an immediate and equivalent or better loaner. Gotta make them pay for your inconvenience.
My 2017 psgr Metris is dead by the side of the road after 50k km - 5 days short of warranty expiration. Went down in a haze of blue smoke. Roadside assistance has still not collected the carcass and they don't give me updates. I was enjoying it until it stopped, though. Good luck!
Took days to get towed to a dealer what with distance and bad weather. Now waiting on parts: thermostat had to be replaced before it could be driven for further test after initial codes were read. One of the O2 sensors is defective - there is one in the country which is being shipped and should arrive Tuesday - otherwise a two week trip from Deutschland ! Geloybt gat I got the extended warranty. And thanks too for Burns night tomorrow so that I have an excuse to drink good whiskey to dull the pain! Seems like the kind of vehicle that you really don't want to be driving without a warranty?

·
Registered
349 Posts
Just about every O2 sensor is just a generic sensor with a different wiring length/plug on the end of it. What might be a $200 part from MB might be a $40 part generic and doing some minor soldering to swap plugs over.

Admittedly MB is pretty slow with parts fairly often, just part of life with owning a rare-er/german vehicle. I have my E320 wagon to use when one of the other cars is down for repair. :D

Also when under warranty if you have to wait for anything they should be providing a loaner. I even squeezed a loaner (2019 GLC300!) out of my dealer when my GLK was in for warranty exhaust repairs at 79k miles (80k mile warranty on that). :D

·
Registered
2,382 Posts
Owning a Mercedes out of warranty is not as cheap as owning a Toyota out of warranty. The marginal cost of owning an out of warranty Mercedes that has already undergone the bulk of its depreciation, however, is cheaper than owning a new one with a warranty.

Over the course of 3 yrs and 50k miles your Metris is going to depreciate about $20k-30k depending on options and how well you bought it. That works out to between $555 and $833 a month. My van is four years old and has 116k miles on it. Over that difference it has depreciated an extra $3k, or $250 a month. Going forward the depreciation will only lessen.

So the question is do I think I will spend $833-250=$583 a month- $7k a year- on repairs going forward. The answer is, I am fairly sure, no. So frankly, I think you are financially better off keeping it rather than getting rid of it.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Owning a Mercedes out of warranty is not as cheap as owning a Toyota out of warranty. The marginal cost of owning an out of warranty Mercedes that has already undergone the bulk of its depreciation, however, is cheaper than owning a new one with a warranty.

Over the course of 3 yrs and 50k miles your Metris is going to depreciate about $20k-30k depending on options and how well you bought it. That works out to between $555 and $833 a month. My van is four years old and has 116k miles on it. Over that difference it has depreciated an extra $3k, or $250 a month. Going forward the depreciation will only lessen.

So the question is do I think I will spend $833-250=$583 a month- $7k a year- on repairs going forward. The answer is, I am fairly sure, no. So frankly, I think you are financially better off keeping it rather than getting rid of it.
Very interesting point. And unfortunately, I think the amount of depreciation is underestimated here. Depreciation is very high on these vans, as I'm learning first-hand. It's just something to keep in mind.

·
Registered
2,382 Posts
I just want to clarify- when I say repairs, I mean expenditures over and above the standard reccomended mileage/time work listed in the book. Those expenses are roughly the same whether your van is in or out of warranty and don’t count towards age-related repair.

i intend to keep this thing until body integrity becomes a major problem, or it stops providing sufficiently reliable transportation. I have never in my life had a Mercedes fail to do the latter- even at over a million miles.

·
Registered
57 Posts

Speaking of O2 sensors with long leads, my sled is back on the road. Turns out it was a combination of thermostat and lambda sensor that made it blow blue.

Took me $800 of Canadian pesos to recover the old girl and get her back to work - let's see if M-B makes good on their 'trip interruption' promise to reimburse. Remember that that taking a kid to school can turn into a 2500 km 15 day odyssey in your Metris. Buy extended warranty !

·
Registered
15 Posts
In 27 months I have put 168.000+ miles on mine. It has been a great choice for me as I deliver medical items it has plenty of room and the ability to carry 2,500 lbs. I think most any vehicle that is driven regular (not short trips) holds up well as they are made and designed to be driven. Those vehicles that sit a fair amount time and do a lot of short trips always seem to have more issues. When I purchased my van they offered free lifetime oil changes for about $1,300. No brainer for me!
An update. I am a few days shy of 3 years on my Metris. It is in for service today and is now sitting at 217,000 miles. Still runs great!

·
Registered
458 Posts
Congrats! I'm guessing you stuck with regular dealer service beyond the oil changes? Any unusual items? I'm jealous as mine sits mostly while I wait for time to play.

261 - 280 of 283 Posts