Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner

241 - 260 of 283 Posts

·
Registered
349 Posts
Another issue with offering other options is that the vehicle then has to be safety passed in those configurations, and that costs $$$$. They probably just did not see enough of an ROI on making the options list longer for things like alternative seats.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Let me put it to you this way. I truly believe the designers at MB missed a few huge opportunities to make the Metris a few notches better than it is. And capture a big segments of the minivan market, not just a niche taxi market. They just released a pickup truck for crying out loud. How hard is it to realize a luxury minivan with some basic consideration for the drivers would sell like hot cakes.

Whoever argued that the rear seats should not at least fold flat. Should be fired from Mercedes.
I find myself taking my rear row out much more than necessary. If the 2nd and 3rd row backrest just folded flat, it would open up so much more flexibility.

How much do I hate taking a row out of my metris, when it wouldn’t be necessary with a folding seat? How much do I love my metris? I will awnser both those questions with this: I just got a second metris as second family car. Now I can keep one with 2 rows and one with 3 rows.

Regardless, Mercedes should do a focus group of actual Metris Owners in the US.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Even as a taxi a rear row that folds flat has it advantages. Like when I pick 4 people up at the airport with lots of big bags. More than will fit in the cargo area. I don’t want to dump the 3rd row just for that. Folding it would allow me to load a few antra bags from the team without having to throw out my back. The ability to open both sliding door from the key would be nice. Other than that it’s almost perfect. I own 2. That’s what’s sad to me about it, something so basic

·
Registered
2,382 Posts
I think Alex Dykes demonstrates you can easily fit something like 8 24” roller bags behind the third row.

Don’t get me wrong; I think that folding rear seats would be an improvement. Mercedes introduces this model as a non luxury vehicle as I explained at length several years ago, for a lot of reasons- most of which really do make sense.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I work out of mine and have had many problems with it from day one. Dealer said I need to 'work the bugs out'. Not acceptable. Factory tires barely passed 1st inspection at 6000+ miles. Replaced at 10k, because I refused to replace before snow. Been towed to dealer because it wouldn't go into gear due to a bad speed sensor, had the fuel line replaced 3 times. Rear door seals replaced 3 times. -- both due to leaking. One fuel, one water. I made a vid of my exhaust vibrating against the chassis. Dealer had to remove, re-bend hangers to stop it. the engine sounded like a popcorn maker, and it turned out to be some version of a PCV valve that quit working and they needed it for 4 days because the part wasn't available and had to be flown in from the factory. Brakes needed replaced at 19k. I thought I had a bad caliper because of rust over 1 wheel. Dealer said normal wear, charged me $1500+ for 4 sets brakes/rotors. Now at 20k, I had it inspected and they had to adjust the E brake since it wouldn't disengage and I'd have to lift the pedal with my foot after pulling the release handle. I do NOT step on the gas to a red light. I'm the type of driver that when I see a red light up ahead, I remove my foot from the gas pedal. Passenger side mirror is a hazard. Radio ant in windshield is horrible. GM quit that, what? In the 1980's? Gas filler is too low for anyone over 5'5" tall. IF you have a gas station without the locks on the gas hose, your back is aching. Cup holders are too small. Cigarette lighter jack is hidden in a hole in the console near the floor. You literally can't see it, but you have to feel for the little door and open it/insert your charger. Today, I got it inspected and asked them to wipe the timer off of the display telling me it needs service. They said they aren't allowed because I didn't get my oil changed through them, for $136.00. It is now out of warranty, so I shall avoid that stealership at all cost if I can. When I'm on a job and contractors see my MB and ask how I like it because they are interested, I say, "stay away'' from MB if you can. I have to respond this way because this is my first -- and LAST -- MB

·
Registered
248 Posts
I work out of mine and have had many problems with it from day one. It is now out of warranty, so I shall avoid that stealership at all cost if I can. When I'm on a job and contractors see my MB and ask how I like it because they are interested, I say, "stay away'' from MB if you can. I have to respond this way because this is my first -- and LAST -- MB
If all that's true you got a lemon and could have acted on it, maybe still can...

·
Registered
48 Posts
Already been down that road. I now have 20,800+ miles on my 2016. As soon as the problems started, I looked into my states lemon law. The dealer must have to work on the same problem 3 times and fail, on the SAME problem. It doesn't matter if I had 20 problems. Now the rear door seals and the fuel line were each fixed after 3 tries each. So no win there for me. the radio had the antennae amplifier replaced and update to software. The reception still sucks. the radio used to remain on after I shut off the engine and removed the key. the software update fixed that apparently because it hasn't remained on after the key removed. the many other problems were either fixed after 1 or 2 tries. A curious problem was the auto time change in spring/fall. The dealer said these don't do that. I said yes it does, and it is following the 'original' schedule, not the newer updated time change schedule with the seasons. They didn't believe me until I got a call and I was told by my salesman their 'parts' metris time shifted the same day as mine did. They contacted MB and they can't explain it. They are supposedly looking into it. I said, if it doesn't look like a lawsuit can come from it, and it doesn't effect many vehicles, the most it will be is a lunchtime discussion in their programming dept and nothing will be done about it. I do not adjust the time, until weeks go by and I'm past the 'new' time change schedule. IF I do change it the day it happens, it changes again when the calendar hits the 'new' time change date. I'm tired of hearing, 'you're the only one with problems'. I said GREAT!, MB can buy it back from me because it is a very UNIQUE Metris.

·
Registered
100 Posts
This time change thing has come up before and you're not the only one with that particular problem. As far as I can tell the system changes according to the German schedule which is a week or two off from ours. I also fell into the trap of changing the time manually only to have it change itself later on. Now I just wait it out.

·
Registered
248 Posts
This time change thing has come up before and you're not the only one with that particular problem. As far as I can tell the system changes according to the German schedule which is a week or two off from ours. I also fell into the trap of changing the time manually only to have it change itself later on. Now I just wait it out.
I believe everywhere else in the world is the first Sunday of April till the last Sunday of October. The US used to follow the same pattern until a few years ago. Now it goes from the second Sunday of March till the First of November. So you'r won;t be synchronized for about 3 weeks in March and one at the end of October

·
Registered
257 Posts
I guess I've been lucky. I have 46,000 miles on mine and I have spent zero, 0 dollars on mine. I bought a set of defenders at around 30,000 miles.

I hear people talking about lack of fold down seats. Are you talking about the ones that sort of fold into the floor of the vehicle? I don't think it would be possible in this van because of its designed low clearance and rear drive.

I hate people have had some problems. I really think some of the fuel line issues have to do with the chicken tax. They disassemble these things after they build them, part of that is removing the fuel system to avoid the, or most of the import tax.

I also keeping in mind it's a ????ing work van that is very inexpensive. Chevy just introduced a pickup that crossed the $100,000 mark. BMW motorcycles cost as much as these vans. This van does a lot for its cost. This van does a lot for me...I use it some for business travel, for dog rescue, my motorcycle life, my camping life...hauls a nice camper and I get to use the van as storage. Do that with a PU. All your stuff will be wet or gone.
Lane

·
Registered
349 Posts
They really are a steal considering a fully loaded one is still only ~44k. Thats barely as much as a mid-range equipped c-class! A base model E-class is over 55k and has essentially the same powertrain....

My e-class wagon back in 2001 was nearly double the price of the metris, especially when you account for inflation.

And yeah....looked at the prices of other vehicles lately? What people spend on vehicles like Subarus....Pickups....you name it. Crazy prices! Average pickup price point these days is 44k.......44k!!

·
Registered
458 Posts
They really are a steal considering a fully loaded one is still only ~44k. Thats barely as much as a mid-range equipped c-class! A base model E-class is over 55k and has essentially the same powertrain....
And yeah....looked at the prices of other vehicles lately? What people spend on vehicles like Subarus....Pickups....you name it. Crazy prices! Average pickup price point these days is 44k.......44k!!
I tell my friends I paid less for the Metris than a comparable Ford Transit, and it's true. It's a great value proposition. I was able to option it the old fashioned way -- one add at a time, very few compulsory packaged options, so I avoided the manufacturer-mandated cost of packaged items I do not want (like any electronic driving aids other than the backup camera).

Incidentally, when I went to the dealer to confirm/debunk a possible coolant leak, the service adviser complimented the base navy blue paint and asked if I'd had it painted after-market! It is nice, but its durability is a problem already. It scratches if you stare at it too long. Seriously. I have many small (virtually undetectable unless you're looking for them) tool marks from my window installs. Wish they had a clear coat. Anyway, now I know why the insisted on the aftermarket bogus clear coat.

·
Banned
80 Posts
No probs or complaints at 3000 miles. I'm itching to change the oil to some super high moly Pennzoil Ultra SRT 0w-40 Viper spec. Like 250ppm of moly! Great for break-in, if we actually have break-in anymore.

·
Registered
15 Posts
First time poster here. I have a 99 Toyota Tacoma, was thinking about upgrading to a metris cargo. The metris would be a huge upgrade than my standard Tacoma. It would become my daily driver. I'm concerned about reliability. Not much information out there which I understand since its new for United States. I would like to hear from owners that have miles under their belt. Thanks Brian
In 27 months I have put 168.000+ miles on mine. It has been a great choice for me as I deliver medical items it has plenty of room and the ability to carry 2,500 lbs. I think most any vehicle that is driven regular (not short trips) holds up well as they are made and designed to be driven. Those vehicles that sit a fair amount time and do a lot of short trips always seem to have more issues. When I purchased my van they offered free lifetime oil changes for about $1,300. No brainer for me!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a low mileage 2015 Sprinter Crew now and the only problem is that it is about 100 or more miles to the M-B van dealers from my home in North Alabama. We don't need the large van and since I'm retired we don't need to keep two late model vehicles. Most of the time I drive some of my old classic cars rain or shine.
I like the Metrus van a lot and am considering getting rid of my wife's Audi A3 and the Sprinter.
I like the Metrus's smaller size and seems like it would be ideal for us, but without M-B dealers being close I'm probably going to look at something with closer dealers.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Alrighty, I wondered if you guys could help me
Sorry, this is TLDR...

We need a new vehicle for many reasons, and after much deliberation settled on either the Toyota awd sienna or the metris to replace our chevy beauville.

I daily drive the beauville and put on 800 miles a week. It is mostly used for hauling kids, but it gets used occasionally for farm items. It has had things like, a full size tractor 3 point hitch wood chipper in it, construction staging, lumber, building supplies, livestock, etc in it...
I have a truck as well, but its condition keep warrants an AG plate on it, which limits its range to 30 miles. Sometimes due o weather it is just easier to use a van than a pickup too.

Our other vehicles are high mile beater 240 volvo's and a high mile 80 series land cruiser.

Anyway, something is always down for repairs (i once was a certified mech, worked doing auto restoration, etc, so i do our maintenance, rebuilding, etc), and with the kids, farm infrastructure projects, business projects etc we decided we need one new car to gain enough time to catch up with life.

The replacement needs to get at least 20mpg average, seat 7 min, drive in serious winter weather at least with winter tires ( west central NH, the beauville has studded duratracs in the winter (and i pull the timbren springs out for winter and put weight in the back, and a chain if needed, though it usually is fine, starting the 4l60e in 2nd works really well on ice and slop)

Either way i am hoping to have time to get my truck back up to a point where i can fully register it, and the van will not have to do too many farm jobs, to save wear on it. It would be nice if it could tow my tractor, but it is not a deal breaker, and i would like to save wear on it anyway... my truck is easier to service than anything new.

Honestly i like the metris better than the sienna in almost every way for our purposes, ( i have not driven one yet, but have been in one, going to drive one this week) I love the interior on the metris and dislike the toyotas, but i could live with it.

Really the thing holding me back from the metris is proven dependability, I cannot find proof of general high miles and reliability for them, where i can for the toyota.
Parts and maintenance, and knowledge resource will also be easier with the toyota.

I have not found much with the w274, or 270 with over 200k...

Additionally winter could be an issue, and the Toyota has awd, and while i have always driven rwd, and they usually work for me it is snow performance is vehicle dependent, not drive dependent.
The volvo 240 is great in the snow with proper tires, my current van is fine too. We have the 80 series if the weather is completely wild, but my wife usually takes it in the winter (she cannot call out even durring the worst blizzard, In this case i usually have no need to leave home).

Anyone want to talk me in to one or the other? I would love to still be driving the thing in 10 years +200k, but maybe that is a tall order for any new vehicle.

Thanks!

241 - 260 of 283 Posts