Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Another awesome accessory that we don't seem to get state side, the tail gate bike rack. Seems a little pricey but totally awesome. I got a receiver mount rack that works well but doesn't even come close to clearing the tailgate (ie you'll never get it open with bikes on). Thule UK makes something very similar to the MB unit called the Thule BackPac. I'm definitely going to need to source one of these at some point.

MB unit. https://configurator.mercedes-benz-accessories.com/en-MB/v-class-br447-2039/Carrier_systems/Rear-mounted_carriers/Rear-mounted_bicycle_rack_on_tailgate_A4478901700;jsessionid=858635F41BDA6345498488F1448F0754

Thule: https://www.thule.com/en-gb/gb/bike-rack/trunk-bike-racks/thule-backpac-_-973002

·
Registered
939 Posts
I've seen worse.

I really like the accessories out of Europe. And most of them can be ordered by part number.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
... assuming the bikes are secure, what would the basis be?
Yeah, I don't get it either. Bikes are on tight, brake lights are not obscured unlike any other hitch carrier. I worked at a bike shop in a tourist town for several years if you think this is scary you should see what some people think is an appropriate way to transport multiple bikes several hundred miles. You'd be surprised how many bikes end up on the highway.

·
Registered
300 Posts
... assuming the bikes are secure, what would the basis be?
Yeah, I don't get it either. Bikes are on tight, brake lights are not obscured unlike any other hitch carrier. I worked at a bike shop in a tourist town for several years if you think this is scary you should see what some people think is an appropriate way to transport multiple bikes several hundred miles. You'd be surprised how many bikes end up on the highway.
There's a limit of any overhang object at all directions here in CA, just don't know the exact measurement.

·
Registered
191 Posts
There's a limit of any overhang object at all directions here in CA, just don't know the exact measurement.
2/3rds the wheelbase, which this is nowhere near. I think loads extending beyond 48" require a flag. It's definitely getting close to that.

You see similar bike racks cantilevered from trailer hitches all the time.

·
Registered
166 Posts
My four bike Thule rack, that mounts to the trailer hitch sticks out further. Would be nice to get them away from other car's bumpers. With the hitch mount, I don't need to worry about low hanging branches.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
My four bike Thule rack, that mounts to the trailer hitch sticks out further. Would be nice to get them away from other car's bumpers. With the hitch mount, I don't need to worry about low hanging branches.
the issue I have with the hitch mount (I have a Thule T2 Classic) is that it doesn't tilt enough to allow the hatch to open.

·
Registered
166 Posts
We have the swing away type. Takes a minute, but you can open the hatch once you swing it to the side. Doesn't work when in a crowded parking lot. You need about 2 1/2 ' of open space on the passenger side for clearance when opening.

·
Registered
40 Posts
You are correct about the overhang limits in CA but that still gives you around 3feet of items. However there is a provision that if you have an item longer then the 2/3 wheelbase rule you still can, as long as you have a visible item (like a flag) to make it visible for the ones driving behind the vihicle.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I have an older generation Thule hitch mount bike rack that swings out. It was fantastic with our Eurovan, now that I own a Metris with barn doors, it won't work. Does anyone out there have a rocky mounts BACKSTAGE, is a swing away where the bikes mount in trays. How is the clearance? The other option would be a lg sized Rak Attach. A swing arm that goes between your hitch and your bike rack. Then I would still need a bike rack to plug into it. Thanks

·
Registered
151 Posts
I ended up going with a 1up rack. I still have to tilt the empty trays down to open the barn doors, but it is very easy to dismount/mount the bikes.

·
Registered
166 Posts
We ended up ordering a Rocky Mounts BACKSTAGE, from REI. No one stocks them here. To new of a product. If the swing arm doesn't clear our barn doors, it will be easy to return. It's currently back ordered. Should have it in a couple of weeks. I'll try to post pictures when we get it and have it installed.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts