Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, 1st time poster. Lot of great information. I've used the Search feature on some of the forums like this one I thought we're applicable and didn't find any posts specifically in regards to changing the mid-row seating in a Metris, the seats behind the driver's seats. I'm in the process of purchasing our 2019 Metris and having it upfitted with Transit Works for the rear wheelchair ramp. Transit works does offer a mid-row conversion with swivel but they don't have any car seat attachments on the seats which is a no-go for me.

I've been talking to a local (San Diego) conversion company and they seem pretty confident they can get the swivel pedestals installed without issue. Those swivels need to be locking in both the forward and rear swivel positions. Does anyone have any experience with this type of customization?

·
Registered
2019 Passenger
1,453 Posts
What's interesting about Transitworks is that they show in their marketing material LATCH/ISOfix on their swivel seats that they offer with the business line, but when you talk to them they say they don't include the fittings. I see them in video so there appears to be some confusion. It's possible they don't want to take on the liability.

You may want to call them back and ask a little more. I worked with Bonnie Neimanis. The WAV appears to retain the OEM floor tracks for the 2nd row rather than adding the smart floor needed for the business line swivels. What you want to ask is if they can install smartfloor for the 2nd row. That's going to cost you several thousand to get the tracks needed for single seats and then the cost of seats that both swivel and have ISOfix.

They do a nice job and if you will have the van for many years it would be worth the effort to get them to build it out.

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks @pounce. I've been talking with Bonnie as well and the combination of the WAV and the mid-row business swivel seats seems very new to them. Bonnie told me this wasn't even an option until I talked to AMF Brun (they're SmartFloor conversion supplier) and they referred me to someone else at Transit Works to talk about the option. Bonnie has submitted this WAV/mid-row conversion quote to our dealer but we have yet to get the details. The WAV is $13940 and not sure what to expect from the added mid-row. I'm expecting between $3000-$5000. Should know tomorrow, 5/22.

I will press Transit Works for more info on the seating with latch attachments. My local guy said he can do for very little labor cost but the pedestals for the mid-row seats will bolted through the floor (no SmartFloor type option). The additional cost of the Transit Works conversion for the mid-row may influence who we end up going with in the end.

·
Registered
2019 Passenger
1,453 Posts
If you can get them to do the smart floor for the 2nd row I think it would be amazing. I'm surprised they didn't already have this as an option. For the person in the chair facing the back of a likely empty 2nd row of seats is pretty depressing. The option you are creating of having a 2nd row with reversing seats would be such a difference (or even just empty seats). I know if I was in the chair having a caregiver or family member facing me for trips would be appreciated.

The one thing to consider or work through is whether having your "local guy" bolt pedestals to the 2nd row creates any sort of safety or insurance issue due to lack of upfitter certifications. I'm assuming the van is personal, but if it's for business or could be for business that might be a consideration. If Transitworks executes the upfitting they take on some degree of responsibility for safety for securing the seats and floor etc. For me that's worth something. They are in the safety business.

Best of luck. Hope it works out. Would love to see photos when you get the van.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Update - after many back and forths with Transit Works and AMF Bruns (their Smart Seating Germany-based supplier), I was able to confirm they (Transit Works) are able to offer us mid-row, swivel seats WITH ISOFix seating attachments. There was about a $2400 increase for the addition of these mid-row seats. The Metris in particular and the options for Smart Seating seem to be so new to the States that both AMF and Transit Works really didn't even have options on their radar until I pressed them to dig deeper. Sometimes persistence pays off! :)

We are very happy regardless and in the process of having the vehicle up fitted. Will post pics when we have it in our possession.

·
Premier Upfits Co. Metrisseats.com
70 Posts
Hi, 1st time poster. Lot of great information. I've used the Search feature on some of the forums like this one I thought we're applicable and didn't find any posts specifically in regards to changing the mid-row seating in a Metris, the seats behind the driver's seats. I'm in the process of purchasing our 2019 Metris and having it upfitted with Transit Works for the rear wheelchair ramp. Transit works does offer a mid-row conversion with swivel but they don't have any car seat attachments on the seats which is a no-go for me.

I've been talking to a local (San Diego) conversion company and they seem pretty confident they can get the swivel pedestals installed without issue. Those swivels need to be locking in both the forward and rear swivel positions. Does anyone have any experience with this type of customization?
metrisseats.com can modify the original 2nd row seats to be mounted facing backwards. The only problem in this case would be that you will have to unclip the seats from the rails each time you want them facing forward or backwards.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have the transitworks business conversion and the two middle row swivel seats do have child seat tie downs. Seems you have gotten it all resolved but figured it might help someones future new/used purchase. Tie downs worked well for our son and even have the third hook in the back for the over the top latch. Overall security of the chair to the track system is good but rocks WAY TOOOO much for an energized 5-8 year old on longer rides :/

1 - 8 of 8 Posts