Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am debating whether or not to get a swivel for the passenger seat. If you have it, how much do you use it? I've heard from some Sprinter folks that they never use it. It would irritate me to have it and not use it.

I'm looking to hear from the swivelers!

·
Registered
196 Posts
I am debating whether or not to get a swivel for the passenger seat. If you have it, how much do you use it? I've heard from some Sprinter folks that they never use it. It would irritate me to have it and not use it.

I'm looking to hear from the swivelers!
lala IMHO the same as with pop top, if you want to use the van camping and want to be little more comfortable comparing to just a tent,have swivels, but if you go once a year to camp overnight, there is no need to have swivels :) I am going to put swivels on both sides just to have more room inside i case of rain, friends over, etc. It will give you extra 2' of space in 9' space that you have, minus your bed.
The good place to get them is https://travois.ca/ that is where I am getting my.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Lala—We have swivels on both front seats of our Metris with Sportsmobile pop top. The first thing we do when we arrive at camp is spin the passenger. The driver swivel option is great when there are more people. Last night we had four adults in the van to eat dinner and kick it while the wind storm kicked up in Death Valley. I ordered the adapters from Travois and installed them myself (see forum thread for step-by-step)

·
Registered
25 Posts
I have the swivels on both front seats. I bought them from Travois. I think it is well worth it for both but for sure at least the passenger seat. My middle bench seat is removed so it becomes a living room with the swivels. The ability to hang out in there with friends and listen to music makes it worth it for me. For camping it makes a big difference too. Now if I can just get a rear bench that folds into a bed.

Attachments

·
Registered
71 Posts
I have two front swivel seats and turn around the passenger side every time we camp. When I want to seat 4 people around the table for a meal, then I turn the driver-side seat around as well (that one only goes half of the way around because of countertop interference). The mechanism to turn the seats works quickly and easily.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Such great info guys! Thank you!!!
It sounds like Travois is the way to go. If anyone feels differently, let me know:)

·
Registered
557 Posts
Wow, that looks great! I am glad to see the rear heater ducts fit in so well -- I ordered them for my Cargo 135 wheelbase and I wasn't sure it would work with the SCOPEMA swivels.

Is the seat covering the leatherette?

Reactions: Lala

·
Registered
58 Posts
We found that the swivels really open up the cabin area, make it much more usable, to the point that we went back and redesigned our cabinets to allow the drivers side seat to turn without any obstructions. I do however wish they would offer it as a up-fitter option direct from the factory, even though its a great seller for us. We will have 40 sets available as of April 26th, for those interested in ordering, please contact [email protected] , shipping for our Western clients will be from Blaine, WA, for the East, from Champlain, NY. For those close to our Eastern Shop ( 1 hour from NY border ), free installs for clients that drive up.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Thanks for all of the encouragement and comments. I camped without the swivels and it was fine. I purchased and installed the swivels and the improvement was impressive. If you ever boondock in a parking lot, they will make a significant difference. I love them, a definite game changer for us.

What would make me think that they weren't necessary?
1) If it were just me.
2) If I never needed to stealth camp/boondock and I had the ARB awning and room

Now, next on the list of should I buy it = ARB awning and room! Maybe there will be a super sale that sways me;)

·
Registered
8 Posts
I recently switched from a Sprinter seat swivel (I had to modify it to fit the Metris) to one I bought from Travois. The Travois swivel is MUCH better. Raises the seat 1 inch as opposed to 2 inches. The swivel is offset so the seat clears the door easier.

If anyone wants to take my old swivel off my hands, I'll sell it for really cheap. Just PM me if you are interested.

·
Registered
48 Posts
They are about $650-700 for the pair (shipping will vary depending on you location?). I got used to the height very quickly, but I would lower my seat if I had an adjustment available. I use them every place we overnight and sometimes for longer daytime stops. They are really helpful for getting in and out of a pop-top bed.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have the swivels on both front seats. I bought them from Travois. I think it is well worth it for both but for sure at least the passenger seat. My middle bench seat is removed so it becomes a living room with the swivels. The ability to hang out in there with friends and listen to music makes it worth it for me. For camping it makes a big difference too. Now if I can just get a rear bench that folds into a bed.
Hi Oldmandan,
Do the swivels work for seats that have electronic lumbar adjustments?
I like the thought of having them

·
Registered
557 Posts
Do the swivels work for seats that have electronic lumbar adjustments?
Yes they do. I am referring to the manual comfort seats, not the full electrically adjustable new seats in MY 20. Just be sure to disconnect the main battery under the passenger seat before beginning unless you want to be clearing air bag codes.

I have had the passenger seat swivel for 18 months. It's a must for a camper. I just installed the driver's side. Slightly more complicated as minor wiring tweaks are needed (releasing cable ties basically and remounting with zip ties). The driver's side is more complicated to actually swivel because of the steering wheel. I held off on the driver's side because I was worried about 1) interference with my power box behind the auxiliary battery under the driver's seat, 2) seat height and 3) squeaking. I'm around 200 pounds. I am happy to report no squeaking yet, and the increased seat height lets me sit just slightly closer to the wheel, which seems to work for my arm length.

FYI, the folks at Travois in SLO County (Los Osos, CA) said, and their Ebay shipment bore it out, the new Scopema RIB swivels are shared with the Sprinter, SOOOOOOO, get 'em while you can. Travois said they are heavily over-subscribed. I had called SLO to see whether a short drive might save me shipping $$$ -- they said they had none (but they did on Ebay). Go figger.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Yes they do. I am referring to the manual comfort seats, not the full electrically adjustable new seats in MY 20. Just be sure to disconnect the main battery under the passenger seat before beginning unless you want to be clearing air bag codes.

I have had the passenger seat swivel for 18 months. It's a must for a camper. I just installed the driver's side. Slightly more complicated as minor wiring tweaks are needed (releasing cable ties basically and remounting with zip ties). The driver's side is more complicated to actually swivel because of the steering wheel. I held off on the driver's side because I was worried about 1) interference with my power box behind the auxiliary battery under the driver's seat, 2) seat height and 3) squeaking. I'm around 200 pounds. I am happy to report no squeaking yet, and the increased seat height lets me sit just slightly closer to the wheel, which seems to work for my arm length.

FYI, the folks at Travois in SLO County (Los Osos, CA) said, and their Ebay shipment bore it out, the new Scopema RIB swivels are shared with the Sprinter, SOOOOOOO, get 'em while you can. Travois said they are heavily over-subscribed. I had called SLO to see whether a short drive might save me shipping $$$ -- they said they had none (but they did on Ebay). Go figger.
Yes, do unplug the battery, which means slide it out part way and unscrew and remove the black terminal. I believe focus85 is being kind to not reveal that it was me, not he, who didn't disconnect the battery.
I think it's a bad design, but I can see why they store a "something's not right with the seat" airbag
code when you disconnect a seat plug. The issue I have is that the engine was off, so, the vehicle
is clearly not capable of motion. In that case, I don't think the airbag will deploy if someone slams into my Metris in the parking lot, but, maybe MB protects you in all cases. 😀 Luckily, my independent mechanic friend was able to clear the code without a dealer bill! The auto parts store code-checker could not.

Travois-USA shipped the swivels from Washington, not Los Osos, so, that would appear to be why you can't save shipping. If I were in Seattle, I would ask to pick them up from their origin there.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Travois-USA shipped the swivels from Washington, not Los Osos, so, that would appear to be why you can't save shipping.
It was worth a try though, aka the "no harm in asking rule." And I meant nothing sneaky, of course, though as I've mentioned before, I've found the order from Canada, ship from WA to possibly spell GREY MARKET!! That's an old school term for a product equivalent to the U.S. product, but not licensed or warrantied in the U.S. I used to buy 35mm camera gear that way from the NY stores. Anyway, I strongly suspect that, regardless of how Travois sells them, the SCOPEMA swivels are not approved or warrantied for U.S. use. Still a great product, fully licensed for European highways.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi - my travois passenger swivel creaks when no one is on it. Anyone have any tips or suggestions? Reinstalled to check. Greased the stops. Ideas?

·
Registered
557 Posts
Hi - my travois passenger swivel creaks when no one is on it. Anyone have any tips or suggestions? Reinstalled to check. Greased the stops. Ideas?
Might be the 8 threaded connections -- only four have thread locking nuts as I recall -- have you tried using a thread locker like Permatex? Are you confident the bolts are torqued properly?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts