Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner

SumoSprings review

3K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  ManVan001 
#1 ·
Hello fellow Metris owners/drivers! Recently installed this set of polyurethane spring buffers on my rear springs. Just wanted to pitch in my experience with these and see what your thoughts are.

Bought these from Amazon for $170 for a set of 2 coil buffers. Feeding these buffers into the rear springs was actually super easy; the most annoying part of this project was actually loosening each lug bolt with a 4ft cheater pipe — damm those tire shops’ pneumatic impact guns!!

I have about 1000 Lbs worth of cargo in the back which caused my rear to noticeably sink (forgot to check by how much), and also caused a very “floaty” sensation when changing lanes or navigating turns on the highway. With these coil buffers installed however, that floaty sensation has been totally eliminated. At the same time, comfort feels slightly improved somehow.. as going over bumps or potholes no longer feels as jarring as before. Unfortunately, the rear ride height did not restore by much — maybe half an inch at most.

For $170, the improvement in ride quality and handling under heavy cargo load was well worth the money. However, it did not resolve my original intention of restoring rear ride height. Maybe I should add another set of these buffers? Maybe replace the springs outright?
Rabbit Fin Beak Rabbits and Hares Hare

See less See more
#2 ·
update:

Had another set installed and the ride was really harsh (2 buffers per rear spring). Did well further firming up the ride and restoring more of the original ride height but it wasn’t worth it. Took em off and gave the set to my colleague to reinforce the rear springs on his Metris.
Water Automotive tire Headgear Drinkware Gas