Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I didn't want to tack onto the other install thread but have a couple items worth sharing on my recent Kenwood Excelon DMX906S install in my '16 passenger van. I purchased the kit through Crutchfield using a '16 sprinter passenger as the base vehicle and it came with a Metra 40-EU10 Antenna Adapter (this didn't work), Scosche CR1292B Dash Kit and PAC RP4.2-MB11 Wiring Interface (R2.1.1.8 which I updated to R2.1.1.9).

A couple items of interest:
  • Rear view camera is retained with the reverse lines that move with the steering wheel. Viewing angle seems to have combined both the trailer zoom feature and the normal reverse view so you now see more bumper all the time. No way to access the trailer hitching style lines. Camera view gained a few rolling sync lines but does not take away from the view overall.
  • Steering wheel controls work as expected for all other menus on the driver info display. The PAC interface documentation only includes the wires that need to be connected but has other wires in the loom that are unused.
  • FM reception requires a powered antenna feed to energize the RF amplifier which is why the Metra 40-EU10 doesn't work. I tested the Audio 15 and the antenna center pin goes to 12V when the radio is turned on. To solve this issue I bought a Metra 40-EU55 and wired it into the antenna power blue wire. PAC documentation shows the antenna power should be feeding pin 7 on the B connector but the WIS and my van harness has no connection on this pin.
What is lost in the install:
  • use of the factory BT mic
  • text for phone and radio in the driver info display. Both now show "----" but all other features retained
  • radio on with key out function
What is gained:
  • Mainly the phone interface has been greatly improved. An iOS update finally broke the music control on the ageing Audio15 interface. This was the driving factor in the install.
  • The Kenwood interface is leaps and bounds better than the Audio 15

·
Registered
8 Posts
What did you do about the blue wire for the antenna adapter? I also noticed that the wiring harness from PAC didn’t have the correct connection?

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I used a Metra 40-EU55 and wired it into the antenna power blue wire. What do you mean by the PAC didn't have the correct connection?

·
Registered
869 Posts
Thanks Styles. Good write-up. I did a swap on my old Eurovan, but that was pre-steering wheel controls. Good to know there's a kit that works. What did you do for a bluetooth mic?

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Styles. Good write-up. I did a swap on my old Eurovan, but that was pre-steering wheel controls. Good to know there's a kit that works. What did you do for a bluetooth mic?
The kenwood unit I bought came with a new one. I ran it up the A pillar on the passenger side, along the top of the windshield and it's stuck on the side of the rain sensor cover between the cover and the sun visor so it doesn't stick out.

·
Registered
2020 cargo 126wb
270 Posts
I didn't want to tack onto the other install thread but have a couple items worth sharing on my recent Kenwood Excelon DMX906S install in my '16 passenger van. I purchased the kit through Crutchfield using a '16 sprinter passenger as the base vehicle and it came with a Metra 40-EU10 Antenna Adapter (this didn't work), Scosche CR1292B Dash Kit and PAC RP4.2-MB11 Wiring Interface (R2.1.1.8 which I updated to R2.1.1.9).

A couple items of interest:
  • Rear view camera is retained with the reverse lines that move with the steering wheel. Viewing angle seems to have combined both the trailer zoom feature and the normal reverse view so you now see more bumper all the time. No way to access the trailer hitching style lines. Camera view gained a few rolling sync lines but does not take away from the view overall.
  • Steering wheel controls work as expected for all other menus on the driver info display. The PAC interface documentation only includes the wires that need to be connected but has other wires in the loom that are unused.
  • FM reception requires a powered antenna feed to energize the RF amplifier which is why the Metra 40-EU10 doesn't work. I tested the Audio 15 and the antenna center pin goes to 12V when the radio is turned on. To solve this issue I bought a Metra 40-EU55 and wired it into the antenna power blue wire. PAC documentation shows the antenna power should be feeding pin 7 on the B connector but the WIS and my van harness has no connection on this pin.
What is lost in the install:
  • use of the factory BT mic
  • text for phone and radio in the driver info display. Both now show "----" but all other features retained
  • radio on with key out function
What is gained:
  • Mainly the phone interface has been greatly improved. An iOS update finally broke the music control on the ageing Audio15 interface. This was the driving factor in the install.
  • The Kenwood interface is leaps and bounds better than the Audio 15
This post was a lifesaver when I installed my Sony XAV-AX1000 head. Chose this model for the front panel USB input. I ordered from Crutchfield using 2018 Sprinter as base. Which meant I got the same install accessories you did. After install I got maybe two radio stations. Back to the Metris Forum for solution. Read your post and immediately ordered the Metra 40-EU55 adapter. Now I get tons of radio stations.

As mine is a cargo, I ordered a pair of Kenwood KFC 1366S 5 1/4" speakers for the rear. Going to leave all front speakers as OEM for now. But with the rear speakers, the van sounds great!

Also, I just stuck the BT mic inside the left cubby in the dash panel next to the OEM USB input.

Thank you

1 - 6 of 6 Posts