Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Stupid question time.

I've been dutifully going through the manual, and am browsing through the many pages of Display Messages. And the one that most concerns me is the Check Engine Oil notice. From what I can see in the van and in the manual there does NOT appear to be a dedicated warning lamp for the oil, so how do you know when there is a warning? Does the Check Engine warning lamp light up? Or is there something else that pops up to give you that warning? I know how to toggle through to the check messages function.....but how do you know when to do that?

·
Registered
81 Posts
You get a "icon" on your display with a tone for low oil level. See page 199 for "vehicles without steering wheel buttons" or page 213 for "vehicles with steering wheel buttons". Same icon for both, but multiple meanings...all of which say to check the oil.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You get a "icon" on your display with a tone for low oil level. See page 199 for "vehicles without steering wheel buttons" or page 213 for "vehicles with steering wheel buttons". Same icon for both, but multiple meanings...all of which say to check the oil.
So something pops up in the Display window, not the instrument cluster? Does that happen irrespective of which Menu you're viewing?

·
Registered
51 Posts
So something pops up in the Display window, not the instrument cluster? Does that happen irrespective of which Menu you're viewing?
I recently had the first A Service and two days later, in the central instrument cluster, up popped up "engine oil level too high-please correct". I verified it with the oil level check procedure, and checking the dipstick.

Took it back to the Dealer

·
Registered
81 Posts
Yes. Warnings take priority. Pages 189 and 203 describe the system for "without" and "with" steering controls. Low priority warnings can be "hidden" with various button pushes. High priority warnings cannot. Not sure if that means you will need to see a dealer to get a reset...or if the problem is addressed (i.e. adding oil to a "Low Oil" warning), if that will clear the issue. The manual is a little vague on that point. The warnings show in a similar fashion to the TPS warnings if you've ever had one of those. Mine goes off if there is 1 lb of difference in tire pressure while driving.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts