Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I ordered a Metris Passenger back in late February or early March (seriously I forget how long it's been). Just found out that my Metris Passenger is stuck either in the "Distribution Center" or the Vehicle Prep Center in Charleston (are they the same thing?). I was told almost 3 weeks ago that it was "on the carrier so it should be here [Arizona] any day now"...but now I'm told there is some "labeling issue" holding up my van. Any dealers here know what it could be? I'm losing trust with my own dealer due to the story changing, so while they will surely tell me their version of the issue...is it the truth? The vehicle was supposed to be delivered in June, but it's nearly October now.

I'm hoping it has nothing to do with Hurricane Florence putting the general area under water. Thoughts?

·
Registered
587 Posts
We're in the same boat. I ordered a 135 Cargo on January 5, 2018. My sales person emailed me from SC (he's there on some kind of Mercedes tour) and said my vehicle "has been surveyed. factory open, escaped damages/flooding. . . ." The VPC has been updated yet again to show the "survey" on 9/18.

I'm told it is not always easy to get on the westbound big rigs. As near as I can tell, Mercedes' distribution system is almost as sophisticated as the POS radio/von beckermann map pilot NAV system. I mean, I ordered my last Ford from the factory with a complex option package (back when you could do so) and got it in 5 weeks from Dearborn.

So I was quoted a really good price when I ordered the van. If the dealer jerks me off even 1 cent from the original WRITTEN offer to me, I shall say goodbye to the Merc and leave them to market my highly customized van to some other poor SOB. Basically, the purchase process has been so epic-ly FUBAR that I expect nothing but continuing problems at this stage. The good news is that the dealer is 30 miles away, so any temptation to pay them for Service A or B will be easy to resist.

My dealer has actually been quite good about communications. Just always bad news.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah I just got a message today that "all the metris vans are on hold for a software update." A few days ago, it was a label issue. I kinda just want one story...

·
Registered
587 Posts
They do chassis dyno and update software in SC. I am sure the firmware and software updates take some time, but I hadn't heard anything about a new delay.

·
Registered
587 Posts
Well, my little Deutsche folly continues. You can't make this stuff up.

A few days ago my (second) salesperson emails me to say that the dealership was being sold and that I should call him if I didn't get email from him at the new address.

So yesterday I get a call from salesperson No. 3, a good sign I suppose. When I called him back, of course they have no record of my order (thankfully I do) and can't find the vehicle when I gave him the VIN (even though it shows in the MB system on their website as "in transit.") I reminded the salesperson that they have my $500 deposit and I have a firm price offer. He quickly needed to get off the phone.

I am hoping for the best, but feeling pretty defeated by my campaign from the dealer to Spain to Germany to South Carolina's hurricane to yet another round of dealer incompetence. Is it any wonder I've NEVER let a stealership touch my cars, except in case of one highway breakdown.

·
Registered
587 Posts
I haven't tried the national office. In defense of the dealer, the vehicle is shown as in transit, and salesperson No. 2 was in SC when it was moved to the "marshaling yard." They haven't yet actually tried to deny the original deal so I am hoping for the best.

Meanwhile, maybe the delay will let some of the aftermarket suppliers develop 135 WB accessories. I kinda doubt they will as it seems most conversions are passenger based for what I assume are DOT or NHTSA passenger safety rules. Lotsa side curtain airbags.

·
Registered
587 Posts
BTW, how's your 135 working out?

·
Registered
587 Posts
You're my hero. Coming via PM

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Update: Almost 2 weeks ago, I was told that my software update was complete and my van was at the carrier. As of a few days ago, I'm told it's back for more software updates. So, not only is my vehicle not on a train or truck to the west coast, but it's still wherever it's been for the last 6 or 8 weeks. Doesn't sound normal to me. Is there a way to tell the vehicle's pre-delivery history by the labeling on the vehicle (door / underhood / etc?) I'm beginning to suspect that there is more to the story than I'm being told.

·
Registered
587 Posts
Update: Almost 2 weeks ago, I was told that my software update was complete and my van was at the carrier. As of a few days ago, I'm told it's back for more software updates. So, not only is my vehicle not on a train or truck to the west coast, but it's still wherever it's been for the last 6 or 8 weeks. Doesn't sound normal to me. Is there a way to tell the vehicle's pre-delivery history by the labeling on the vehicle (door / underhood / etc?) I'm beginning to suspect that there is more to the story than I'm being told.
I don't think there's a conspiracy. I've heard that MB did not have proper EPA certification for the 135 LWB?
My third salesperson has my ordered updated to "PFD Removed 9/20" Meanwhile, in Casablanca, they wait . . . and wait . . .

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Update: After 2 months, my Metris Passenger Van is again being "held for software updates" in South Carolina. I was originally told around 2 months ago that it was "on the carrier" and should be in "any day now." (I heard that several times over the last couple months!)

After being told that my software updates had been pushed to the front of the line and that my van was released a month ago, I'm now being told that it is unlikely for the updates to be done before 11/1. I'm not suggesting there is some sort of conspiracy, but rather that there's simply more to the story than what I'm being told (i.e. poor or mis-communication). Why would my van be released twice, only to come back for "software updates" each time? If there is nothing else going on, this should be a simple matter for MB to communicate the timeline for these "software updates" in a manner such as "we have X Metris vans in SC and yours is Y in line...ETA mm/dd/yyyy." Manufacturing is a schedule-driven industry and it's irresponsible not to communicate the schedule to the customer.

In the unlikely event that there *is* something else going on (afterall, the area has seen 2 hurricanes since receiving my van) - MB has the responsibility to tell me what's up.

·
Registered
587 Posts
I am now getting the same message -- held for software update. I did find a 135 in NorCal, but nit to my needs.

V

·
0 Posts
I'm on the same boat. I ordered a 2018 Metris 135LWB at the end of February. At first they told me the delay was due to the model year of my vehicle changing from a 2018 to 2019 and that it was being held until Mercedes released 2019 models to dealerships. Yesterday I got an email saying that my Metris was 1 of 600 being held up for the software to be reflashed.

Curious if anyone else who is dealing with the same issue has been offered some type of help from their dealership or regional rep in the from of discounts or anything to make right for the long delays and inconvenience??

·
Registered
587 Posts
I'm on the same boat. I ordered a 2018 Metris 135LWB at the end of February. At first they told me the delay was due to the model year of my vehicle changing from a 2018 to 2019 and that it was being held until Mercedes released 2019 models to dealerships. Yesterday I got an email saying that my Metris was 1 of 600 being held up for the software to be reflashed.

Curious if anyone else who is dealing with the same issue has been offered some type of help from their dealership or regional rep in the from of discounts or anything to make right for the long delays and inconvenience??
All the dealer says is that once it is up to status D4 they can "expedite." My van is at D2

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I haven't heard how many vans are held (600 eh?) but I did escalate to MB National Customer Care about a week ago, who promised to give me some answers and a way forward by tomorrow. My van (passenger) was released *twice* to the carrier, meaning it has also been taken back twice for "software updates." MB National told me just the other day that it should be released for a 3rd time to the carrier, and that I should be seeing it "any day now."

I've been told "any day now" since September 4th after ordering in February. I made it pretty clear to MB National that I expect to be told *some* kind of actionable answer with an ETA that they can deliver on, and that to keep telling me "any day now" is unacceptable. I also indicated that MB has lost its right to the $1000 destination fee, since they have not been able to get the van to its destination within the agreed-upon time. MB National is talking about potentially getting me a loaner and/or making my first monthly payment. I've been told by others that MB National Customer Care has power to pull strings & make things happen that your regular dealer (even the sales manager) doesn't have. I told them that I'm open to a variety of options, so we'll see what they come up with.

·
Registered
587 Posts
Sounds good. Better than I did with national.

But -- I missed an email from my salesperson that they have "news" and I should call them. That's a first. I feel like they should have asked me whether I was sitting down.

Being fairly negative at this point, I am assuming good news would have been delivered by email and that bad news will come by phone with an offer of a great deal on an in stock 126.

·
Registered
587 Posts
I got the good news. My van is in status D4 and will be shipped by rail to arrive within 2 weeks!

Reactions: ProQuality Air
1 - 20 of 20 Posts