Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2016 has 57,000 miles on it yet the steering wheel looks like it belongs on a car with 200k miles. Anyone else experience excessive wear on their steering wheel?

·
Registered
313 Posts
Most likely oils from your skin. Do you put lotion on your hands much? I sometimes wear sunscreen while I drive and if I don't get my hands cleans it makes the S wheel sticky. I've also been putting sani-gel on my hands a wheel....still looks new. 80,000 miles

·
Registered
Metris Cargo 135 2020
155 Posts
One has to be careful with substances these days. I have a pump bottle of hand sanitizer and hand lotion in my van, to decon and as needed re-hydrate when I enter the vehicle ... and neither of them are any good for steering wheels. So I have to sit around and wait for my hands to be dry before driving off, or dry them on some paper towels.

Careful use of leather cleaner and lotion can help with longevity of the wheel.

I have never quite had an issue with any of our vehicles, up to 100k miles. Then inevitably, some of the leather will start to deteriorate between, sun, driving, ...

The thing to absolutely avoid, is what my wife did one time, thinking the steering wheel was vinyl and use some random detergent and a scrubbing pad ... because I had done a bit too much work in the field and trimmed too many trees, without washing my hands. :'(

·
Registered
2019 Passenger
585 Posts
Like it. From steering wheel wear to skincare thread.

Well, this is actually how it started. I suggested the OP create a new thread for it. Still hoping to see a picture.

If you find a solution to this I would sure like to hear about it. I was just at the MB dealership yesterday dealing with the outer tire wear issue. The service guy I had at Rocklin Ca treated me like crap. Hardly what you would expect from MB dealer. I also complained that my van surges and makes a snap noise when I turn the wheel to the extreme while moving. He said that for $200 he would have someone look at it. Not exaggerating. He didn't like that I wasn't buying his story that my tires were wearing because I didn't rotate them enough. Also, I asked him why my steering wheel was wearing out on the top. He said it must be because of a lotion issue or something. Didn't bother to ask me IF I wear hand lotion or something else. Only 56K. should my steering wheel be wearing away? Anyone else have this problem?

·
Registered
Metris Cargo 135 2020
155 Posts
Mine only has a few k on it. So can only comment indirectly from other MBs driven; not having had that issue in E & ML series.

One thing that comes to mind, if it is only at the very top of the steering wheel ... UV damage + heat?

( The bad wheel alignment on earlier models has been well documented in the forum, ensure that the alignment has been corrected to 2019 (?) specs )

·
Registered
2,644 Posts
Most other current MB cars have a vinyl wrapped steering wheel, sometimes with leather optional. The Metris has either molded plastic, or genuine leather wrapping. I have no clue why this is so, but the wear would be different for each of the three types.

mine has a bit of wear on the left side of the wheel where I normally hold it. It has worn down over the past 131k miles. I admit I am disapointed; I got 197k miles on a ‘95 C220 and 208k Miles on a ‘95 E300 without that kind of wear. (Other- much older - MBs I’ve owned with vastly higher miles had molded plastic wheels; they get soft with age but no other discernible wear)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts