Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone noticed if they hear a noise from steering wheel when turning. I hear like a cracking sound and also feel some vibration.

·
Registered
33 Posts
My started at about 800 hundred miles. I did talk about it while I was at the dealer getting a replacement key programmed. The dealer told me to bring it in and they will repair it under warranty. Haven't done it yet, but plan to do so soon.

FWIW, I notice if my steering wheel is tilted up as high as it goes, the noise disappears. The noise returns as I tilt the wheel back down. My guess is something in a wire harness is out of sort.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My started at about 800 hundred miles. I did talk about it while I was at the dealer getting a replacement key programmed. The dealer told me to bring it in and they will repair it under warranty. Haven't done it yet, but plan to do so soon.

FWIW, I notice if my steering wheel is tilted up as high as it goes, the noise disappears. The noise returns as I tilt the wheel back down. My guess is something in a wire harness is out of sort.
Good to know. I have 700 miles I notice it around 500.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Mine does it, sort of a "creaking" sound which I am guessing is coming from the joint that allows the steering wheel to tilt. I am planning on mentioning it when I bring it in to the dealer for an alignment after its first birthday.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Mine makes sort of a "creaking" noise when turning and my guess is that it is the joint in the steering column that allows it to tilt. I plan to mention it when it goes for an alignment at its first birthday.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes it's a creaking sound that the word I was looking for. I also believe it's the joint my mine priority is getting the mirror situation fixed

·
Registered
32 Posts
I have the same noise as well in my '16 Passenger. It is like a quick popping noise when turning (feel it also). I notice it less as I drive further. Let us know if the dealer has any suggestions on a fix.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm trying to get them to change my mirrors if they do that I'll tell them about the steering noise if not I'll tell them when it goes for first service. Unless it will be a recall. So far I'm not liking my choice in but this can.

·
Registered
258 Posts
I brought the Metris to the dealer today as I had a leaking tire pressure sensor. I mentioned the steering noise and they are ordering a "clock spring". They also had to order the kit for the tire pressure sensor so I will have a loaner for the next few days.

·
Registered
939 Posts
I plan to mention it when it goes for an alignment at its first birthday.
Bring it in before it's 12k/12mo and tell them the tires are wearing. An alignment is covered under 12/12. I just did mine. It was .27per side, aligned to .06 degrees toed in. Much better tire wear.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I brought the Metris to the dealer today as I had a leaking tire pressure sensor. I mentioned the steering noise and they are ordering a "clock spring". They also had to order the kit for the tire pressure sensor so I will have a loaner for the next few days.
Clock spring is for the steering noise? If so they must know about this problem if they where able to give you an answer asap.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Robb, with that level of toe in were you getting accelerated outside wear. Also with going more neutral do you notice any lane drift at highway speeds?

Lane

·
Registered
939 Posts
Def had tire wear, have not noticed any drift (have had hardly any interstate travel time). The electric steering keeps you centered pretty well. (If you don't zero the rack on alignment, it'll pull real hard)

I have noticed less scrub on tight turns

·
Registered
258 Posts
Bring it in before it's 12k/12mo and tell them the tires are wearing. An alignment is covered under 12/12. I just did mine. It was .27per side, aligned to .06 degrees toed in. Much better tire wear.
Thanks Robb, I did ask the SA if alignment is covered under the warranty and he asked if it was pulling. I told him that it was more like a slight drift to the right as you would expect on a crowned road but it also drifted to the right when I tried it on the left side of the road. He said that he would try to work it in.

I was planning to have it aligned within the first year because, in the old days, the suspension would settle in and although it was in alignment when it left the factory, after a few months of driving, the specs would be off.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I just realized that my steering wheel noise as dim down after swapping out my stock wheels for my winter set. I have Hankook tires on steal wheels and I have a Goodyear ultra grip ice wrt on stock steal wheels for my winter/snow tire.

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
The electric steering on the Metris is supposed to self account for things like road crown. Generally speaking, with an old hydraulic rack Mercedes, you should be able to align the car straight on the road, take your hands off the wheel, and not touch it until either the road substantially changes camber or starts to turn.

On the newer cars you should be able to do that regardless of camber change and in some cases even when road has a slight direction change (the camber drift should cause the wheel to follow the road curve) although you are supposed to put tension on the wheel every so often or the system deactivates.

It should NOT be pulling at all.

·
Registered
258 Posts
I picked up the Metris today and the steering noise turned out to be a steering knuckle in the steering column. They replaced the steering column and they did align it. Most of the readings were close but the toe was off a bit: WAS: Left (pressed) 25' Now: 08'
Right ( " ) 03' Now: 08"

It now does not drift. I would suggest alignment before the first year is up as it will save you from excessive tire wear and if you can get it done under warranty, save some bucks.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I took the Metris to Service for them to look at the steering wheel and the loud click that it makes when turning. The tech was about to recreate the noise, thank goodness, though it was not as loud as it can get. He immediately said that the noise is common and is in many Sprinters too. They took a new Metris in the lot and it had the same clicking noise. They checked just to make sure there wasn't a safety issue and left it at that. If it gets louder again, it's going back.

Reactions: Sadragna
1 - 20 of 25 Posts