Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have issues with the silver painted steel wheel paint flaking off! There is black paint underneath. Rather unsightly to say the least. Mine is a 2016. Been noticeable for a year or more.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Nope. One curb nick, can't see anything through it yet. OTOH, the body paint looks nice but is shite for durability, meaning it is easy to nick or scratch (as I learned with minor tool marks when installing the CRL windows). The body panels are pretty "bendable but resilient/flexible" too (somebody tell us the metallurgical or engineering term -- not a spring?). I have a couple of places where I (that's right not some other fool) was just slightly too careless with my other car's door touching the Metris. Sure enough, there is a barely perceptible crease where it happened in both places. I actually massaged them down by hand pretty easily, but I was surprised. I'm guessing the trade off is thin and resilient vs. heavy and hard. My Eurovan was more in the heavy and hard model, body wise, and had nowhere near the sophisticated ride/handling of the Metris. The Eurovan might have been as bad an example of misused (albeit serviceable) front wheel drive as the Olds Toronado, Motor Trend's '66 COTY.

Back to the wheels, the Metris bleeds brake pads like no other car I've had, including the gorgeous '91 190e I bought for my boys in high school. Slow, safe and good looking enough that they'd take care of it. My neighbor gave his kid his hand me down Volvo 740 wagon. The kid promptly killed the Dalmatian with antifreeze he left lying around while adding a turbocharger, among numerous other non-street legal mods, to soup up the Volvo! Sad the dog had to die, although Spot (yes that's right) had a miserable habit of chasing small children into traffic. Anyway, the kid is a mechanical engineer now . . . .

·
Registered
257 Posts
What stupid F'ing SOB to leave antifreeze laying around. Maybe he will get poisoned at some point...of course you have to be a fool to hop up a volvo. I've had several...can't imagine wanting to do that.

·
Registered
458 Posts
What stupid F'ing SOB to leave antifreeze laying around. Maybe he will get poisoned at some point...of course you have to be a fool to hop up a volvo. I've had several...can't imagine wanting to do that.
Yes, it was really traumatic for the neighborhood.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Anyone have issues with the silver painted steel wheel paint flaking off! There is black paint underneath. Rather unsightly to say the least. Mine is a 2016. Been noticeable for a year or more.
Yes, mine are starting to flake off. Same black paint underneath. I noticed it the other day while washing. Also a 2016.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Great idea GML. I'd take a set of 2019 black steelies if anyone is offering.

·
Registered
2,382 Posts
My only concern is that when I had a flat, the steelie the spare was mounted on had rust on it. One of the various factors that play in to how well interactions with law enforcement goes during legitimate traffic stops (that is, you and the officer both know you were breaking the law by, say, going 85 in a 65) is the apparent condition of your vehicle; people who keep their cosmetics up probably also maintain good tires, brakes, lights, and other things that contribute to safe high speed operation. You CAN get a ticket for speeding in an apparently well maintained, safe vehicle; you WILL get a ticket for speeding in one that isn’t.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts