Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm starting to get really fed up with the navigation system for several reasons.
1. The maps are still pretty outdated. There is no update. It came with the latest update. New roads that have been in existence for years are missing.
2. The "No navigation module connected." error when you first start the van. I've learned that you just have to wait a minute or two before it finally recognizes it. It happens way too often.
3. Sometimes my location just freezes while driving. I can do everything else except reset my destination. It just doesn't think I'm moving. I have to turn the engine off to reset it.
4. Or it crashes with an Application Error. If I mess around with it enough it will eventually reboot itself. I attached a pic of that error.
5. Oh and the voice that gives you directions talks too **** much. Even if I turn off street names. "In a half mile continue straight" Gee thanks because I was about to turn left into the cornfield on this straight road. "In a half mile bear left" when it's just a slight curve in the road. I do turn her off more often now but then I find myself missing turns because I'm not paying attention to the GPS screen.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
It does suck doesn't it?

My dealer considers #2 (the only problem I've encountered with it in 20k miles) a warranty issue. I assume yours will, too.

And yeah, it's a freakin' blabber mouth. But so's a Garmin Nuvi. I hate the "Please don't randomly leave the major highway" announcements because I start moving right for them.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I'm starting to get really fed up with the navigation system for several reasons.
Yeah, there are a few decisions on this vehicle that just make you shake your head and wonder. If sometimes the electronics feel like buggy beta, the nav system feels like buggy beta, circa 1970's, punch card programming. I'd say get a dash mount phone holder, use the phone's nav and sync via bluetooth to the audio system, works pretty nicely (except for volume), and save yourself the frustration.

Not what any of us want to hear from an expensive option but in dash systems are end of life and I don't see any updates in the future.

·
Registered
939 Posts
To save a trip, i'd try formatting and reinstalling all the becker software. If still no luck, drive that thing to the dealer for a warranty replacement. It shouldn't freeze or error. It should work FLAWLESSLY (as it can. Its still a becker map pilot)

·
Registered
939 Posts
"Please don't randomly leave the major highway"
You joke, but my mother in law driving back from Austin asked "Do we need to take a right here?" (random interstate exit), took us down a toll road, paid, turned around, paid again, and finally back on the road we needed to be on :rolleyes:

·
Registered
151 Posts
You joke, but my mother in law...
Seems there's a weird attention to command for some people. My wife upon hearing the command "In 2.5 miles turn left on DePeyster St.", will take whatever is the next left, 2.5 miles or 2.5 feet, don't matter. Large airports become very short, very scary slalom courses >:D

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yesterday I had to do a factory reset because the GPS location was "stuck". Turning off the engine or anything I else I tried wouldn't work. Finally I went into the settings and did a factory reset and that got it working again. Grrrrr!

·
Registered
112 Posts
I haven't used the NAV system much, but have not had the problems original poster has had. Wow...what a headache.

Add me to the list of people who find this system dated and rather clunky to use. I use my phone. I never would have bought this if it wasn't part of a package with other things I wanted...and was told I couldn't buy as stand alone options. The only time I can see myself using this is when I am in wilderness where I don't get a phone signal. Really feel a bit cheated when I think about how much I paid for this system.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I'm inside 2 weeks for delivery and I hope I don't have these issues, but i bet i will. I saw this coming, though. any modern system that doesn't come with XM isn't "modern"....

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
Actually, the problem seems to me to be the interface with the Becker Map Pilot. The head unit system itself dates to 2010 or so and is an update of a 2002 design that debuted on the W211 E-class.

When it comes to bugs, older is better, because the older it is, the less bugs not yet squashed. Not coming with Sat radio is a sign of modernity, really- that concept is insanely out of date, probably why they lose money hand over fist.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I was told yesterday that MB is going to offer a Pioneer replacement NAV/Audio unit for the Metris. No timeline given, but I got the idea it would be plug-n-play replacement. Who knows, but I'd encourage it as I'd like all the steering wheel controls to function, etc....

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I was told yesterday that MB is going to offer a Pioneer replacement NAV/Audio unit for the Metris. No timeline given, but I got the idea it would be plug-n-play replacement. Who knows, but I'd encourage it as I'd like all the steering wheel controls to function, etc....
Really?!? I won't get my hopes up but that would be awesome!

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
Mercedes using Pioneer stuff? After 70 years of exclusively using Becker equipment? 1) Slim Chance. 2) God forbid.

If Mercedes demeans itself by offering non-German audio equipment, I will be utterly astonished. It would go so far against their largely xenophobic corporate culture, I'd assume it would mean they flipped their perfectly coiffed German made wigs.

Or at least Dieter Zetsche's mustache.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts