Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2016 Metris Passenger van with 9000 miles that the mechanical/analog speedometer shows incorrect speed sometimes.
It only happens after the van has been traveling with speeds over 60 MPH +
I notice the speedometer showing about a 20 MPH slower speed, then over a few min. the speed slowly keeps dropping until 0 MPH. The total time to 0 MPH is about 15 min. After coming to a complete stop the speedometer functions properly. Only the mechanical speedometer is affected, the digital displays correct speed.
This has happened 4 times that I know of.
My not so local dealer performed a software update to solve the issue, it did not work.
I know intermittent issues are hard to fix. Just wanted to FYI the known problem.

·
Registered
83 Posts
My 2016 is currently in the shop for the same issue. They did a software update, and hard reset. None of that worked. Then can data issue (codes), fixed wiring connector that didn't work. Now waiting on new speedo. Mine is the upgraded speedo too. Going on 3weeks in the service dept. I took delivery on May 3rd, and it has been intermittent everyday since then. My dealer is 3 hrs away, so waited until first service A. I did let them know on first trip home, and also one month ahead of scheduling my first service. I relayed that they may want to get an instrument cluster on the way, and of course that didn't happen. I hope to have it back at the end of this coming week. Meanwhile I am in a service loaner. The van has been perfect except for the analog gauge doing whatever it wants.

·
Registered
939 Posts
Demand they fix the problem, which from the sound of it, seems to be the cluster itself. The computers know you are traveling 65 (or whatever) by the 4 wheel speed sensors and trans speed sensors.
Tell them to drive and verify then replace. SDS will show real time speed.

·
Registered
83 Posts
You are correct digital is accurate. The other thing I noticed on mine is at night the dimmer switch by the analog portion wouldn't work as well. I am crossing my fingers it is resolved by the end of this week. It will be nice to be able to use my center display for other features. I attached a pic of it malfunctioning on the way to its first service.

Attachments

·
Registered
939 Posts
As a tech, you taking that picture is great! Verifiable proof.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I try to document, especially driving 3 hrs for service. It was great when I arrived, and shut the van off it was pegged all the way into the fuel gauge. My dealer has been great, but I miss my van.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I had the same thing happen one time on my Metris cargo recently. The analog speedometer wouldn't move above 50 mph. Eventually, I figured out the digital speedometer was working correctly and by time I got home--100 miles later--the analog speedometer and digital were matching again. I hope it's going to be a one-of situation.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Just picked up my Metris today, and the speedometer is fixed! It worked flawlessly all the way home 215 miles away. No paperwork was given to me, but they told me on the phone that the whole cluster was replaced. So glad to have it back!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts