Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2020 cargo 126wb
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To those who have replaced the standard speakers in the front doors with something better - what have you used? I have a 2020 Cargo Metris pretty bare inside so far, but I have insulated and paneled. Once I did that I determined that a new head unit and rear speakers was a must. I did those things and was pretty satisfied with the sound until I played a recording I'd made of my band straight off the mixing board - the same sound that feeds the main speakers in our performance. It is a good recording, as played on a decent home stereo, or even a good bluetooth boombox. BUT today I listened to the recording over my van system and the bass sounded like it was trapped inside a cardboard box. I haven't removed the front door panels yet - what lies waiting for me inside?

·
Super Moderator
Metris Cargo 135 2020
1,002 Posts
I can't give much specific input. I am a fan of Kenwood from yesteryears. Our MBs - outside of my Metris - have had factory sound upgrades with premium 1 or 2. My exposure to other brands + sound is limited to rental cars, really.

Years ago, in my younger years, when I had my first compact cars, I did get a local installer install a single din Kenwood + 4 speakers in one vehicle ( 4x 25W? ); and in another upgraded factory stuff to single din Kenwood + CD changer + 50W speakers in the factory locations. Sounded totally great to my ear. Plenty loud. Some people might (have) hanker(ed) for subwoofer or whatever, but I just like it clean and crisp without the extra bass and vehicle rattling / thumping. Needed the space. Saved the money. Enjoyed the sound.

Anyhow. At the time there were catalogs and cross reference guides per brand and model of vehicle as to what was directly compatible size wise or with adapter. These days, that should exist online. Biggest place I have looked in recent times to get ideas, is Crutchfield.

I might like a touch screen + car play + maybe nav head unit in my Metris; but the cost of what I'm looking at jumps up very quickly; and it is not like I drive the van for hours a day, to really benefit from it ... so I just load up the SD card or stream a bit from the phone.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I upgraded all the speakers and headunit and I only got a tiny improvement above the stock audio. I rolled like this for a bit and ended up adding a 5 channel amp to run all four corners and sub and it's honestly night and day. The speakers really needed the amp to make them sing and the sub is pretty essential as well (even if you don't bump bass).

I used these in the front and rear

JBL Club Series 6.5" components
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Synthetic rubber Tread

·
Registered
83 Posts
I installed focal kx2’s in mine.
minor fabrication of a ring
[/QUO
Those are some primo speakers! Did you run them off a headunit or power through an amp?

I looked into sound deadening the front doors but saw that the door frames would take a lot of work to fully seal and opted to go with a sub to mask instead.

·
Registered
2020 cargo 126wb
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks to all who wrote. I am a long-time Crutchfield fan. But when I bought my van (2020) they hadn’t done any research on the Metris and I had to use their research on Sprinter to get the mounting and hook-up accessories. This time when I looked they had done the Metris research and had all the right accessories. I got a pair of Kenwood KFC-1666S. $40 on sale - a world of difference between the crap speakers MB used. The bass in my band recording now comes through, along with the full spectrum I know is there.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts