Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have just finished insulating and paneling my 2020 Metris cargo van. Floor is still uninsulated so it does contribute a bit to the noise level, but the van is now quiet enough to determine that I am not satisfied with the sound quality of the Audio 15. I just ordered a Sony XAV-AX1000 receiver, Scosche CR1292B kit, PAC RP4.2-MB11 wiring adapter, and Metra 40-EU10 antenna adapter from Crutchfield. I have had good experiences with previous Sony auto stereos. This unit is modestly powered, 20W RMS/channel, x 4 channels. I don't plan on adding an amp or a subwoofer.

I will install speakers in the rear, probably behind the C-pillars over the wheelwells. Before I insulated and paneled I did run wires for speakers in the rear. My question for today is what size speaker will fit in this area, and where is the best place to bolt them to. It has occurred to me that since my paneling is only 1/8", maybe I should make adapter boards of 1/4" plywood which gives me freedom to bolt to wherever I want and mount the speakers to the adapter boards. Also do you recommend baffles to separate the speakers from the Thinsulate insulation I have packed into all cavities behind the paneling?

After I get the new stereo installed and rear speakers hooked up I'll be better able to judge whether to replace the door speakers with something better. Thanks in advance for your comments.

·
Registered
284 Posts
I'm not a stereo guy but from what i learned yrs ago those aftermarket higher end speakers need 50w continuous before they can be pushed and sound good. Maybe the 20w you have will improve the stock metris speakers?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts