Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner

Spark plug replacement

11K views 14 replies 10 participants last post by  stiksandstones 
#1 ·
Is there a video showing details of changing the spark plugs on the Metris? I looked on uoutube and couldn’t find any. I’m a DIY kinda guy. Also, it certainly seems odd the interval is 50,000 miles- would think 100,000 would be more than adequate.

#2 ·
50,000 is correct, these are multispark engines, as in they fire the spark plug multiple times per combustion cycle so the plugs get a lot of wear. I would not exceed the recommended interval.

#4 ·
45,000 miles /3 yrs in my book. I'm coming up due soon... definitely leaving this maintenance job to the pro mechanic.

#8 ·
I replaced mine at 32k miles which was about the 3-year mark. I had a really hard time taking three out of the four plugs out as the design is such that ~3/8 inch of the plug thread is exposed inside the combustion chamber and mine had a little carbon build up on the threads making it hard to unscrew. A lot of back and forth to loosen it up and not damage the head threads.
Install torque is critical at 17ft.lbs. as well.

#11 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.