Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner

Spare tire tool kit

18K views 12 replies 4 participants last post by  GMG 
#1 ·
Hi everyone. Like another member in the forum I bought my metris used and one year later (today) I have a flat tire. Guess what.. no tool kit just the jack. Can anyone tell me what is the size of the tool that lower the spare tire? I know its an hexa but have no clue what size. I have everything needed to replace the tire but I can't lower the spare. I'm glad it happened near my home. Any help is really appreciated. Thank you.

#2 · (Edited)
I don't have a nut size ... ran out with my calipers ... but and let me grab the item numbers:

Lug Wrench
A6395810301 HEYCO
17mm

Ratcheting Wrench
17mm

Extension Piece
A6395830245 HEYCO
17mm & 12mm
About a foot long

Double Sided Hex Piece
A6395810401
17mm & 12mm

@Jstos Updated. Adding < in case it helps ping you :)

#6 · (Edited)
I just went and looked at it and crawled under the van.

The socket thing is not needed. Just the long black 12mm Allen wrench. It goes about 2/3 maybe 3/4 into the hole under the black cap. There is a black cap to remove, above the bumper, kind hidden from view beneath the rubber seal, to the right of the center of the bumper.

Looking under the body. There is a black thing that the hex thing goes into ... it is an odd shaped box, that holds a reel of steel wire and then has a sheathed cable guide coming out one side, so the thing is like a manual cable winch. The back side of it, with a metal cover, facing the tire doesn't have a backup knob or tool access, no holes. There's two hex nuts, on the cover side, but also a bunch of metal shaft ends ... I don't know if that cover facing the tire would come off, if one were to undo those two nuts ... certainly could be dangerous to try to take that apart and the whole thing might come undone, like a seat belt retaining assembly?

It may be feasible to remove the whole winch assembly. It is held in place with three nuts, they're not too big, but they have the shape of the end of a Torx screwdriver. After removal, you could then engage it probably with a stubby 12mm Allen wrench. Probably safe. I have not seen that kind of nut - nor a nut socket to remove it yet. (not a mechanic, just a driver)

Removal of the tire plug that holds it up seems a total no go. There's a small metal element with spring that holds up the center of the wheel. No nuts, parts. anything that could be tampered with.

Options:
  • borrow the long part from a dealer? call dealer?
  • find a driver of the same vehicle to borrow it? ( are there any other cars with this setup ? )
  • do parts stores that loan out tools carry something like this extra long 12mm Allen wrench?

Alternatively borrow a similar size tire, exchange the tire, drive to dealer to borrow the tool
    As it looks rather specialized, I was looking online and did not have much luck finding something that long hex 12mm (you can buy bare steel hex rod that size :) )
Also, depending on the issue, hole / tear / ..., a can of fix-a-flat, drive off to the tire shop to have the tire patched.

Then you don't need the special tool yet.

Official tire removal is shown in this video ...

#7 ·
I just went and looked at it and crawled under the van.

The socket thing is not needed. Just the long black 12mm Allen wrench. It goes about 2/3 maybe 3/4 into the hole under the black cap. There is a black cap to remove, above the bumper, kind hidden from view beneath the rubber seal, to the right of the center of the bumper.

Looking under the body. There is a black thing that the hex thing goes into ... it is an odd shaped box, that holds a reel of steel wire and then has a sheathed cable guide coming out one side, so the thing is like a manual cable winch. The back side of it, with a metal cover, facing the tire doesn't have a backup knob or tool access, no holes. There's two hex nuts, on the cover side, but also a bunch of metal shaft ends ... I don't know if that cover facing the tire would come off, if one were to undo those two nuts ... certainly could be dangerous to try to take that apart and the whole thing might come undone, like a seat belt retaining assembly?

It may be feasible to remove the whole winch assembly. It is held in place with three nuts, they're not too big, but they have the shape of the end of a Torx screwdriver. After removal, you could then engage it probably with a stubby 12mm Allen wrench. Probably safe. I have not seen that kind of nut - nor a nut socket to remove it yet. (not a mechanic, just a driver)

Removal of the tire plug that holds it up seems a total no go. There's a small metal element with spring that holds up the center of the wheel. No nuts, parts. anything that could be tampered with.

Options:
  • borrow the long part from a dealer? call dealer?
  • find a driver of the same vehicle to borrow it? ( are there any other cars with this setup ? )
  • do parts stores that loan out tools carry something like this extra long 12mm Allen wrench?

Alternatively borrow a similar size tire, exchange the tire, drive to dealer to borrow the tool
    As it looks rather specialized, I was looking online and did not have much luck finding something that long hex 12mm (you can buy bare steel hex rod that size :) )
Also, depending on the issue, hole / tear / ..., a can of fix-a-flat, drive off to the tire shop to have the tire patched.

Then you don't need the special tool yet.

Official tire removal is shown in this video ...

[/QUO

#8 ·
I wasn't sure what size hex it was. Yesterday I tried to make one out of a bare metal. I was able to shape it as a hex and also able to fit the hole with it. I was able to turn something but it looks like it's getting the plastic. Maybe I need my made hex smaller. Anyway I end up taking the tire out of the van and will be taking it to the tire shop. I am hoping they can fix it. It looks like a sharp piece of metal is in it like a razor. Not the ordinary nail puncture off course. I end up ordering the kit too. Thanks so ,much for your help. I hope your detailed description help others here in the forum. I really appreciate it. Thank you.

#10 ·
PS: Misinformation in the field about getting the spare tire down 🚧

The commercial sales manager at the dealership where I purchased my van ( 2020/09 ) - during the test drive and walk-around - had given me incorrect instructions as to how get the spare wheel down.

The sales manager pointed at the Jack, the small tool kit and then two light grey Torx screws above the bumper near the door hinges; that those two needed to be turned counter clockwise, alternating left & right, to release a drop down metal carrier out of which the spare tire would slide out.

That seemed a bit elaborate ... and at the time I thought how will I get a tire back pushed up into that metal carrier? But I did not question it, simply noted the information.

On the drive home, I figured: it's a van, I should have space in the van to fit the flat should I get a flat, hopefully, and then tire shop can help me figure out how to push the spare back afterwards into that carrier. We'll deal with it then. Hopefully never. 🤞

Anyhow, those Torx screws - of which there are actually four - fasten the bumper.

But: I wonder how many people that sales person has given this incorrect information, and if there are others doing the same ... :unsure: If there are other doing the same? And where did this misinformation stem from?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.