Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner

spare tire speed limit?

7K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  daveyboy70 
#1 ·
My Metris spare tire is exactly the same brand, size and type as the other 4 tires on the vehicle. It is mounted on a steel wheel while the others are on alloy wheels.
I was checking the tire pressure and noticed a sticker on the steel spare wheel that says to limit speed to 50 mph.
Any reason for that?

#3 ·
I hit a curb and cut one of my tires, when to America's Tires bought a cheapest one and told the tech guy to swap the spare from steel to alloy: he didn't say anything about the sticker at 50 mph or it wasn't there I have no idea. I've been using that spare with no problem with speed sometimes at 101.

#4 · (Edited)
I would guess that sticker was applied in error.

That being said, I would not suggest going much over 80 or so given the rotational weight imbalance and handling difference due to the highly varied unsprung weight. But that's due to the wheel, not the tire.

And you can disregard this if you have steelies on all four wheels. Or even two axially, really.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.