Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I went with the Spaccer lift! 2” (4 spacers) in front and 1” (2 spacers) in rear.
I wanted to level it a little.
I had the kit installed at Big John’s offroad shop, in Santa Clarita, Ca. They have experience with Sprinter vans but hadn’t done a Metris. They said it was almost an identical install. The front was the difficult / involved part. They did the alignment too.
The ride feels “sportier”. By which I mean firmer. I didn’t change the wheels or tires, yet, but will in the future. I live in Los Angeles County with some of the worst freeways in the country. Going over 1-2 freeway overpasses, with uneven surfaces, there is a harsher drop in the front of the van, on larger gaps. Its a sharper jerk. Not over all of them, just a few of the worst ones.
Interestingly I drive a couple miles a week, over a dirt road with washboard sections and pot holes. The ride is actually improved! It seriously is much smoother and better. I used to get bad chatter and the van would seem like it wouldnt track straight. Now its great, feels like it has traction and is quieter.
I am very pleased with the change. Im curious if I had gone with 3 spacers in front and 1 in the back, if the freeway joints would have been less of an issue, not that its horrible or frequent. But Im thinking I will install an aftermarket hitch and still have decent clearance.
So in short, I’m very pleased with Spaccer!
The 1st 3 pics are before the lift. The rest are after.

Attachments

·
Registered
2019 Passenger
443 Posts
heh, what I meant is you have a two tone paint job and the bottom looks like bedliner. I haven't seen that before. You must drive through some nasty places.

·
Registered
43 Posts
My Spaccer lift has been on the van now for almost a year. The biggest difference I noticed is how it has less body roll when cornering on a twisty road. The handling is definitely much better and stiffer. I also noticed the suspension has less rebound travel when going over a section of road where the surface varies. For example, if you are on a flat service and suddenly there is a 1 to 2 inch drop in the road surface you hear a sudden clunk like the suspension is hitting the bump stop. The fuel mileage hasn't been affected but the van does seem a little less aerodynamic. I did a 2.89" Spaccer lift and installed bigger tires. (225/65/17R). I tow a 12 x 7 motorcycle trailer occasionally and the Spaccer lift has eliminated the rear end squat when towing. I am very pleased with the extra ground clearance and the stance of the van. I had the lift installed by a mechanic that I have used for all my cars over the last 15 years and he said it was relatively easy other than having to remove the engine shield in the engine bay. I am very happy with the lift and the performance of the Spaccer.com lift.
Regards,
John

·
Registered
1 Posts
I added three spaccers to the front and the back as well as larger diameter tires (BF Goodrich AT tires, 225/65/R17 ). I am very happy with the improved ground clearance. However, one thing I have noticed is there is less cushion and shock absorption going over pot holes. I suspect the springs are at the end of their excursion though I do not know enough to confirm this. From asking around, I do not think there is a suspension modification to address this.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts