Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you have a cargo van, this is a must-have in my opinion. It makes a huge difference on the amount of road noise, etc. that gets through. I used FatMat Rattle Trap.

Attachments

·
Registered
215 Posts
That looks great. I see from your previous pics that you have the standard wood floor with D-rings, etc. Did you remove all that to install the Rattle Trap? You also had lots of cabinets attached to vertical surfaces. It must have been a lot of work to remove all that, but I'm sure it will be worth it.

What size bulk pack did you get? Was that the right amount?

·
Registered
13 Posts
How does that stuff hold up to the heat...I'd like to add some insulation too but wonder if it would cook the glue off the Rattle Trap.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Your car heater shouldn't be hot enough to melt the glue, or at least I don't think it should be that easy to melt the glue.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That looks great. I see from your previous pics that you have the standard wood floor with D-rings, etc. Did you remove all that to install the Rattle Trap? You also had lots of cabinets attached to vertical surfaces. It must have been a lot of work to remove all that, but I'm sure it will be worth it.

What size bulk pack did you get? Was that the right amount?
Yes, I removed all of the D-rings first (they take a T45 Torx bit, in case anyone else wants to remove them for any reason), then the drivers side seatbelt pillar, then the jack & lower jack bracket. Once those are removed, you can remove the wood floor panel. The tool boxes are actually strapped in using the D-rings, so they're easy to remove.

I bought a 150 sq. ft. roll of the FatMat. With that, I've put two layers on the sides, one layer on the roof and one layer on the floor. I have a bit left and still have one area on the roof to do. It was the perfect amount....any extra will be applied to the roof most likely.

How does that stuff hold up to the heat...I'd like to add some insulation too but wonder if it would cook the glue off the Rattle Trap.
I'm pretty sure it's fine with the heat. I'm in Texas, so if anyone is going to have problems, it's me...

·
Registered
151 Posts
That's awesome Yankee, thanks for the pics. Did you ever install FatMat before, and how long did the whole job take? Are you going to do the wheel wells, since it seems like a fair amount of noise comes up through them, especially on the outside of the framing.

Definitely an impressive job!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you, parsi.

I've never installed it before, no. It wasn't too bad though. A lot of rolling (I'd strongly recommend upgrading to a better roller...I upgraded to a foam one rather than the plastic one that came with the kit).

Hard to say how long it took because I did the sides in one sitting, the roof in another and the floor in another. You could do it in a day.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I wasn't sure where to post, so I'm posting here.
I have a passenger Metris with the single liftgate, which was making A LOT of noise, rattling on roads that were even slightly bumpy.
I took it to SF Benz where I bought it, and they fixed it. No problem.
There are still some minor rattles, but it's dramatically better.

I was looking for info on this when I was debating having them look at it and I didn't find any here in the Forum..
I'm glad I brought it in.

·
Registered
299 Posts
I wasn't sure where to post, so I'm posting here.
I have a passenger Metris with the single liftgate, which was making A LOT of noise, rattling on roads that were even slightly bumpy.
I took it to SF Benz where I bought it, and they fixed it. No problem.
There are still some minor rattles, but it's dramatically better.

I was looking for info on this when I was debating having them look at it and I didn't find any here in the Forum..
I'm glad I brought it in.
Did they tell you what they fixed?

·
Registered
18 Posts
2 week old Metris that sounds like a city bus inside with all the rattles. Took it in once and they just put felt under license plate and back door. No improvement. My neighbor rode in it with his ear to the tailgate and thought that's where the really loud rattles are coming from. Would like to know what they did for you because at this point, I can't drive it with all this noise. I'd rather get another car. Please give me your input.
Thanks

·
Registered
43 Posts
Is bit noisy specially when you slowing it down in the interception, it feel like the sound trap inside of the van but it will go away when it in pick up the speed again. I change the wheel, it seem has improve a bit of the noise as well.

·
Registered
2 Posts
2 week old Metris that sounds like a city bus inside with all the rattles. Took it in once and they just put felt under license plate and back door. No improvement. My neighbor rode in it with his ear to the tailgate and thought that's where the really loud rattles are coming from. Would like to know what they did for you because at this point, I can't drive it with all this noise. I'd rather get another car. Please give me your input.
Thanks
Hey, just diagnosed the same issue by having a a buddy mash in various parts of the rear liftgate while I drove until we found it was coming from the lower corners. It was coming almost exclusively from the two metal wedges on the lower sides of the liftgate rubbing against the two metal "receivers" that they key into on the rear frame of the can when closed. Hopeful to get the dealership to fix it now that it's diagnosed. Hope that helps!

·
Registered
81 Posts
Same idea different product. From my previous post a while back describing installing Noico Sound deadener. http://www.metrisforum.com/forum/54209-post17.html
Six months after installation I could not be happier with the product. Sound reduction after installation was remarkable. Additionally I eventually installed insulation over the Noico and the result is a very quiet ride all around. Noico is an odorless Butyl based product which is self sticky and does not have an adhesive back like some others. Butyl takes a little bit of work to roll or burnish it into place but this allows easy manipulation of the pieces prior to securing. Once installed it is very tight bond. No problem evident with separation because of heat over time but I do not live in an area with extreme desert temperatures . Regardless of the product I would recommend sound deadening prior to moving on with a conversion. From my experience a bit of time and effort made all the difference as far as comfort and quiet.

Attachments

·
Registered
285 Posts
I also used Noico Sound Deadener, 80 mil stuff from Amazon. Easy to work with and certainly effective. I don't know how it would compare to other sound deadeners, but I'm happy with it and it had good reviews on Amazon.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Check out 3M Thinsulate sm600L insulation for sound deadening.
I used some and have more if anyone is interested send me a message.

·
Registered
161 Posts
So how much are you guys using to do your vans? Full coverage or just on the big open areas? Are you using it just for noise or also as insulation, or are you adding a different product to gain some added insulation. Any extra things that you would suggest to do while panels are off? Thanks

·
Registered
15 Posts
I was concerned with noise and thermal insulation. I am making a basic camper out of my cargo van. I put the noico sound deadener (from amazon) on the floor and wheel then a layer of foam (harbor freight anti fatigue mat) under a wood floor. Used Thinsulate sm600L on the walls, ceilings, and doors.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts