Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Metris Cargo Conversion
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just put in my fan in the back. This is after ordering two windows. One for the sliding door and one for the driver side to pull air through.

Now I am wondering whether to put my solar in front of the van. Or put a potential roof rack in front.

Where would you think it makes the most send to put the solar ?

·
Registered
2019 Passenger
952 Posts
Do you have panels already? Curious on size. People go back and forth on roof mounting because it's sometimes more flexible to keep the van in the shade and put the panels on the ground in the best orientation. If you often park in the sun and need to power the fan the whole time roof mount makes a lot of sense.

CiGS flex 80w panels are durable and just under 15"x70". You might be able to stick them down nicely on either side of the fan.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Do you have panels already? Curious on size. People go back and forth on roof mounting because it's sometimes more flexible to keep the van in the shade and put the panels on the ground in the best orientation. If you often park in the sun and need to power the fan the whole time roof mount makes a lot of sense.

CiGS flex 80w panels are durable and just under 15"x70". You might be able to stick them down nicely on either side of the fan.

Yes, I bought compact panels from Renogy. I believe it can fit them both sides . That would free a lot of surface to put a roof rack. But would a front roof rack make a lot of wind drag?

·
Registered
2018 Metris Passenger
313 Posts
I built a frame inside my roof rack so the panels are flush with them. I could probably put crossbars over them for temporary loads if I wanted to. You could probably stick the flexible panels inside the roof rack with lots of clearance. You just cant have something permanent that would block the solar

·
Registered
2019 Passenger
952 Posts
Yes, I bought compact panels from Renogy. I believe it can fit them both sides . That would free a lot of surface to put a roof rack. But would a front roof rack make a lot of wind drag?
What sort of rack? Factory rails give some flexibility. What do you want to carry in the rack?

·
Registered
12 Posts
I just put in my fan in the back. This is after ordering two windows. One for the sliding door and one for the driver side to pull air through.

Now I am wondering whether to put my solar in front of the van. Or put a potential roof rack in front.

Where would you think it makes the most send to put the solar ? View attachment 19085 View attachment 19086
Hi
Can we please talk about those splitties in the rear in your picture? Nothing personal but way more interesting than your Metris! We would trade a lot of Metris work for those :)

·
Registered
2019 Passenger
952 Posts
Good eye. I was just missing my 60 westy today looking at the ev conversion kits at EV West.

·
Registered
799 Posts
View attachment 19118
Here's 2 renogy panels between the OEM racks set far enough back to allow the ventilator and antenna but not too forward to grab wind.
That's the best hidden hard solar panel install I've seen. I have 1 Renogy compact with tilt that I stow inside. I am waiting on affordable CIGS and affordable 280 AH LiFePO4! :)

·
Registered
2019 Passenger
952 Posts
You can build your own 280ah for maybe 500. 80w CIGS is still about 250. I agree that top shot looks nice and clean.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Good eye. I was just missing my 60 westy today looking at the ev conversion kits at EV West.
We are doing some EV conversions here at Peace Vans. Super cool stuff. We just wrapped up a 78 Bay window....not the greatest candidate (extra weight from the westy), but we had it sitting around.

Reactions: pounce

·
Registered
520 Posts
I had to look, scroll away, then look again x3 to see the VW vans lol. Harley is rare form.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I had to look, scroll away, then look again x3 to see the VW vans lol. Harley is rare form.
Thanks! I see splitties in my dreams. I still want the story...

Reactions: MOWO

·
Registered
2019 Passenger
952 Posts
I'm imaging this is in Los Gatos or SC . Looks like my old neighbors the ceramics artists and musicians. Pan right for the row of Things :cool:

·
Registered
520 Posts
Thanks! I see splitties in my dreams. I still want the story...
LOL and I know you're keeping an eye on your Alerts. I do hope OP chimes back in with a backstory, I'd like to hear it too.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hi
Can we please talk about those splitties in the rear in your picture? Nothing personal but way more interesting than your Metris! We would trade a lot of Metris work for those :)
im actually staying on a farm doing volunteer work with a guy that works on VW for a living. I can put you in touch.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Awesome! That's exactly what I want to do! Could you tell me which cross bars and Renogy panels you used, and how you mounted the panels? Thanks.
My mistake; they were HQST panels purchased from amazon (not currently available). The dimensions were perfect for side by side mounting. Amazon.com : HQST 100 Watt 12V Monocrystalline Solar Panel with Solar Connectors High Efficiency Module PV Power for Battery Charging Boat, Caravan, RV and Any Other Off Grid Applications : Garden & Outdoor . The cross bracing was a generic product on ebay Roof Rack Cross Bars Luggage Carrier Black Fits Mercedes Metris W447 2016-2020 | eBay . The bracing lays low and I attached all flush along bottom with aluminum flat stock and stainless screws. Mono panels are more efficient than poly panels and lifting them up off the roof a bit allows cooling ventilation which also increases output.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts