Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just put my dedicated snow wheels on. Used 16" aluminum rims from a w210, which are easy to find, very close to oem on offset and are a dime a dozen. Tires are conti si's, 215/65/16 xl's. Perfect clearance and oem OD. I needed to plunk down $60 for a set of ML lug bolts which are about 16mm longer than the metris oem wheels use. The best news, no tpm's, and no warning ??, nothing! My question, do they use the wheel speed sensors in lieu of the stupid inside the tire monitor? That's what I'm hoping for!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Should be taking possession of my new 2018 Metris passenger this week. I intend to get a spare set of wheels, considering also a set of TPMS... may be cost prohibitive/practical choice... would it compromise my warranty to run it without the TPMS? Also... anyone using the Nokian Hakkapeliitta 8 studded tires?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The known tire issues are alignment and rapid wear related. The idiocy is the TPM inside the tire. With 16 or 17" rims, the 27" OD tires are fairly high profile. When (if) you start losing pressure without a TPM, your speed sensor/ stability control will alert you because of the low tire having a smaller radius. The false sense of security from the idiotic TPMS will also contribute to lax pre drive observations of the possible gash in the sidewall or whatever. TPMS might be useful on super low profile weird tires but not on these vans unless you're blind.
So far, in my case w/o tpms, the van figured out they're missing, I get a flashing yellow tire symbol for about one minute, then a solid yellow tire symbol for the rest of the drive.

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
Then again, it is valuable to check your tire pressure as part of your daily routine, and being able to do it without bending over or removing my gloves is a plus when I have a compressed disc.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Do you already have 17" tires? If not, you can run 16"s which opens up more options. Audi and VW use the same bolt pattern (almost always). The offset is the challenge but you should be able to find something that will work in any town, and probably used. Lots of aluminum used wheels in the size but they need about $60 worth of longer lug bolts.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Has anyone found a source for 17" steel wheels, other than MB, to have a set of dedicated snow tires mounted on? Thanks
I bought new 17" Metris steel wheels from the MB dealer for $79 each. It was worth the slight price premium to know that I was getting wheels designed for the Metris, with the proper fit and weight rating. You can find Metris steel wheels on Ebay for slightly less $, but by the time that you pay for shipping you could've just bought new steel Metris wheels from the MB dealer.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I tried the low-budget steel wheel route and ended up with steelies from PRC - the holes do not quite align!

So now I'm waiting for a new set for OEM from Deutschland after which I will have to change the over the studded Pirellis.

My thrifty approach will cost me a couple of hun in hassle and risk of driving all seasons on icy roads.

Grich's advice is good. For winter tire ranking, check out Norwegian Auto Federation using the magic of Google translate:

https://www.naf.no/forbrukertester/dekktester/vinterdekktest-2017/

·
Registered
166 Posts
Much thanks. Discount tire/ discount tire direct has basic black rims for $92 a piece plus $50 for proper lugs. The tire factory here in West Seattle says go to the dealer to get the rims. MB parts wouldn't even look them and just said our steel wheels will cost more than aftermarket ones.

·
Registered
258 Posts
mercedespartscenter has the steel spare rim for $59.02 each. part number 44740102019206. I think it uses the same lug bolts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Metris rims have a 51mm ET. I'm running E class rims with a 46mm (sets 5mm further outward). No clearance problem at all. The E class wheels have more meat on them. Craigslist in any city should have plenty of 5x112x whatever diameter 7ish wide 45 to 51 ET's. VW, Audi, MB all use in the ball park. I've found sets of 4 for $100. Make certain they've never been chromed or whatever they use to do that.

·
Registered
2018 Metris Passenger
276 Posts
Winter tires: I have always put winter tires on my vehicles (November to April also gets me an insurance discount). I used to do a fair amount of deep snow (getting to and from work on rural roads) but now I’m retired and can pick my times to go to town. I won’t need the deep tread but still want the soft rubber for a good grip on ice or cold wet (salted) roads. Rather than changing back to summer tires this year, I just left the snows on as they would eventually need replacing anyway. They’re still good unless the snow gets really deep (a worn snow stops better on ice than a brand new all season – it’s the rubber). I’m not planning to join the 101 club and handling didn’t seem to be a problem. I’m thinking of using all weather (e.g., Nokian WRG3s - still qualify for discount) on the original alloy rims for my next van. With the softer rubber they might not last as long, but it saves the expense of rims and TPMS (or having them re-mounted which I never like), no storage and they’re always ready.
For those who do fast, high mileage or live in hot climates or very cold, snowy, hilly places they might not make sense, but in boring southern Ontario they should do me fine. Any thoughts?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts