Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Cargo converted into a camper van
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought an insect screen for the passenger side sliding door from Van Upgrades for my 2016 cargo that I've converted to a camper.

Here is their website- https://vanupgrades.com/collections...reens/products/metris-side-door-insect-screen

The cost was $345, its a well made product with heavy thread mesh and good zippers. The install was easy and took maybe 2 very leisurely hours. It is easily removed.

Their on line installation videos are laughable, which had me wondering about the quality of the sewing and materials. Fortunately they are much better at producing screens than videos! The written instructions that come with the screen are written for a variety of vans so there are lots of extraneous details.

Here's my run down on the install.

1. You do NOT have to remove the door gasket on the Metris! The written instructions lead you down that path so ignore that step.

2. The first step is to get the 5/8" adhesive backed "pile" Velcro beneath the edge of the door gasket. Start in one of the lower corners. On the inside edge of the door gasket, pull it back until you can see the edge of the interior trim. Put the Velcro into that gap without remove the protective paper on the adhesive.

3. Work the 5/8" adhesive backed "pile" Velcro under the gasket up one side, across the top and then down the other side. You should be able to round both upper corners without cutting the Velcro. Cut the Velcro to length in the lower corners.

4. Then peel off the paper backing while positioning the Velcro against the interior trim while lifting the gasket. Then go back around and push down on the gasket to ensure the Velcro is firmly applied to the trim.

5. The bottom edge is tricky since there in very little surface to mount the Velcro onto. I've modified my step well to stow the jack in the aft portion then extended my flooring over the jack. I only have about 10" of the step well available for use as a step. I applied the 5/8" adhesive backed "pile" Velcro to the thin edge on the lower part of the step. I honestly don't think that the adhesive will hold the Velcro with a lot of use. But in my case I just plan to put a towel at the base of the screen if that happens.

6. Next take the roll of 3" "hook" Velcro and apply it to the "pile" Velcro under the gasket. Again, start in a lower corner and work your way up and over to the other corner.

7. I used the 1" "hook" Velcro across the bottom edge. There is enough 3" "hook" Velcro included that you could use that on the lower edge instead of the 1" "hook".

8. The large door piece is then attached to the "hook" Velcro. I started from the exterior on the lower edge and worked my way up about a foot. It was then easier to work from the inside. You'll probably need to remove and reattach its once or twice in some spots to account for the door handle on the inside when the door is closed.

9. I went back and notched the 3" "hook" Velcro in the upper corners so it laid flush on the door Velcro.

The mesh door can be quickly removed with the zippers. It can also be removed by peeling the 3" Velcro off of the 5/8" Velcro, which would take longer and run the risk of pulling off the adhesive backed Velcro.

Attachments

·
Registered
196 Posts
RansomeRidge beautiful write up but the cost is for working people:) we shall make our own no zipper mostly magnets :) in the center, the no-see-um are really big deal in Florida G*d created beautiful places same as paradise and than he placed there no-see-ums
My first introduction to them was way back in Tahiti / Bora Bora, and now last summer in Daytona beach.
They can drive you crazy :-( what screens did you get?

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It has the no-see-um screen since those nasty little critters are here in Alaska too.

Yes, it would be reasonably easy to make this yourself. Getting the zipper right would be the biggest challenge. I'd think that mosquitoes or no-see-ums would find a gap using magnets.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I recently installed one of their 4.0 magnetic closure screens on my Sprinter. Those YouTube instruction videos are a joke. I think I lost more brain cells watching those than I did my entire high school years. And the included printed instruction weren't much better. Overall, it turned out fairly well, and will keep the bugs out as designed.
I'm no Nostradamas, but I predict by putting the 5/8" tape backed Velcro on the plastic panels, rather than on the pinch seam metal under the rubber seal mount, you may be having a problem with the tape coming loose when it gets hot inside van, or when the wind blows. That 3m tape is pretty good when it's new, but it doesn't age so well. Heat and the plastic "gassing" will promote to the degradation of the glue. It was harder pulling the seal, but the Velcro is pinched in so tight that the tape will never pull out without ripping the Velcro. Hope it stays put for you, if not replacement Velcro would not cost much.

Attachments

·
Registered
2019 Passenger
1,295 Posts
It has the no-see-um screen since those nasty little critters are here in Alaska too.

Yes, it would be reasonably easy to make this yourself. Getting the zipper right would be the biggest challenge. I'd think that mosquitoes or no-see-ums would find a gap using magnets.
I'd imagine if you used smaller magnets closer together on the perimeter and used some soft foam piping to help seal gaps you would be ok.

I've taken rare earth magnets and sandwiched them in tape and stitched that into fabric before. Works well. They also make a wide range of magnets that are sealed in a plastic meant for sewing. A person could also have a spare set of loose magnets to seal obvious gaps after install. I take a piece of tape and wrap the magnet and leave a little tab to use to pull them off. Those little rare earth magnets can be tricky to separate.

·
Registered
196 Posts
I'd imagine if you used smaller magnets closer together on the perimeter and used some soft foam piping to help seal gaps you would be ok.

I've taken rare earth magnets and sandwiched them in tape and stitched that into fabric before. Works well. They also make a wide range of magnets that are sealed in a plastic meant for sewing. A person could also have a spare set of loose magnets to seal obvious gaps after install. I take a piece of tape and wrap the magnet and leave a little tab to use to pull them off. Those little rare earth magnets can be tricky to separate.
pouce thank you for good pointers, one observation worth to mention from my experience is the collection of brake material from other cars, from the road on your magnets. I am holding my back paneling with earth magnets and you can see on the outside paint were they are located. They create round mark with metal dust. It can't be washed off easily, takes some time to do it and the minute you are on the road you have it back, but it holds, and no screws in the body. I am also using magnetic lights inside no problem there :) its also tricky to find +/- pole on the magnet when placing it together, magnet on to magnet :) when you are working in a blind spot. ;-) I am glad, that in Colorado we have only small mosquito :) no no-see-ums here I was surprised that they have them in Alaska...I guess I was lucky to be there in the right time of summer, late August.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

I made some screens for my front doors using magnets to hold down the lower edge. Yep, they work good.

Its a bit early up here to do any testing to see how why my screens will deter the hungry hordes. But when you've got a bunch of blood thirsty mosquitoes looking for a meal its always discouraging, not to mention extremely irritating, when a few find a tiny hole in your defenses.

Attachments

·
Registered
25 Posts
That looks very cool! I've been debating between making my own, or considering the cost of time as well as parts, getting some of these: https://theskeeterbeater.com/ (they do list Metris on their make & model page).
Maybe one of these with zippers on one side, magnets on the other side and the rear.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Thx everyone for the ideas. I think I’ll try the magnet one w some cheap plastic screen from the hardware store and cut to size.
Sure worth the bother for a bug free sleep on a hot night!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts