Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi guys, I was reading the thread about installing slick locks to secure the cargo area. Somebody mentioned that a thief could conceivably break the front windows and unlock the whole car that way, so even having a partition and metal window screens in the rear would not help. However this seems to be false! I tested it today and the door lock buttons do not work when you’ve locked and armed the car. For reference my Metris is a 2019 cargo, with the 270 degree rear doors with windows.
Can anyone comment on this? It seems to me that a partition and rear window grills are all I need to secure the cargo area. Am I missing something? Thanks

·
Registered
349 Posts
Might depend on whether the van is equipped with the actual security system package vs the basic remote locks package. Mine has just remote locking....maybe I'll try that later today and see if it disables the lock buttons inside. I'd imagine it does. Its also to save power, when the car is locked it can turn off those modules as they are unnecessary.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Might depend on whether the van is equipped with the actual security system package vs the basic remote locks package. Mine has just remote locking....maybe I'll try that later today and see if it disables the lock buttons inside. I'd imagine it does. Its also to save power, when the car is locked it can turn off those modules as they are unnecessary.
Well I’d be interested to know what you find. For my test, I stood inside with all the doors closed and locked the car with the key fob. Then I pressed the lock/unlock buttons to see what would happen and nothing happened. Even though it’s possible to open the front doors from the inside with the lock engaged I still couldn’t unlock the rest of the car without doing so on the fob. So perhaps I have that security feature. Seems like a common sense thing to me. I’m just glad I saved a few hundred bucks NOT buying extra locks, which also happen to look like ****! Haha.

·
Registered
349 Posts
I tried it on mine. If I lock it with the fob from inside the interior lock and door buttons don't do anything until I unlock it with the fob again.

·
Registered
2,382 Posts
Slick locks are pointless on any van whatsoever, don't buy them, period. I have said this to people about COVID-19 and many other things but it applies here just as well- the illusion of security is worse than no security at all. Slick locks are the illusion of security.

Slick locks uses a 5-pin pin-and-tumbler core with no security pins of any kind; any thief worth their salt can open it using a $10 Amazon 'my first lock pick set' with a rake and tensioner. If they have the cojones to break open your window, or an appropriate set of door wedges to use a long-reach tool, they will certainly have a lock pick set that would defeat that 'lock'.

A little while ago I decided to take up lock picking as a hobby and possibly a side line (locks smithing, I mean). It was mostly just an ASMR thing really. I bought a crappy lock picking set off of Amazon; this was prompted by me picking up a lock picking channel on YouTube and wondering how easy it was; I was blown away by how fast the 'LockPickingLawyer' could open anything; I was wondering how much was him and how much was the lock.

Partly, its him. He is a master at opening all kinds of locks. And partly it is the lock. Within 20 minutes of me getting that little lock pick package in the mail I had picked open every single bloody pin-and-tumbler lock I had in the house- front door, back door, side door, desk cover, and the padlock into my backyard, plus a bunch of old door locks I had in my junk drawer. It was a bit of an eye opener.

I have since eliminated standard pin-and-tumbler locks from my premises; the only pin and tumbler lock I have is the Bowley lock, which look up on LPLs channel. Otherwise I have a multi-lock, and a couple of lever locks. Its not that lever-locks and dimple-locks are that hard to open; they are just weird and require specialized skill and tools.

The laser-cut slider-lock used in MB doors is a pretty secure and effective locking mechanism; much more so than the one used by slick locks. If you really want a puck lock, my suggestion is to get one that would actually make your van a harder target. Ideally you should get one with a disk-detainer (abloy-style) key; it requires a disk-detainer pick, and only one good one exists on the market- its a $90 tool and still requires skill to use. An example of such a product is the Proven Industries puck lock. It is regrettable that Bowley does not make puck locks; their core is essentially unbeatable.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Who said slick locks help for COVID-19?

Anyway, I agree puck locks do not provide absolute security. What they do, however, is discourage the opportunistic tweaker with no tools from using some improvised device to wedge her way into our vans. Given a choice, all animals on the hunt will take the easy kill, unless they just gotta have an Audio 15. So GML, I don't need the puck lock to be bombproof, it just needs to be better than whatever is on your van, or more accurately, the van parked next to me at the trailhead or Walmart, right? Like outrunning the bear . . . or your buddy.

OTOH, puck locks are a bit of bling that may draw attention I don't want. I couldn't handle white, so the van is blue, but I stuck with steelies and black bumper covers. Unfortunately, the dark tint MB glass upgrade with the matching CRL windows gives the van a very slick look, which may have been why the young man on his way to a BLM protest the other day SMASHED his car door into my van before telling me to F off and call the police if I didn't like it. I did neither BTW, just took pix of his car license and left quickly after he refused his ID and insurance. I don't really believe the "accident" had anything to do with the van or politics. It was windy. The kid made a mistake and had no insurance or money. Too bad he had to make it a race issue.

·
Registered
2,382 Posts
I was probably thinking of several rants I made on another board entirely about people who wear vented masks giving the appearance of having some sort of anti-COVID property. Vented N95 masks (just as a random aside) are designed to prevent dust particulates (or other, specified things) from being inhaled by filtering it through the mask; standard dust particulate masks do not substantially you from catching COVID from somebody else.

The masks protect other people from the spit and vapor coming out of YOUR mouth. Vented masks are designed to keep, for example, dust out of your air ways, and opens a valve for rapid exhalation, while maintaining the filter mechanism through the positive-air-preasure valve. Using such a valved mask for COVID 19 purposes is useless; it vents the stuff a simple bandanna will catch right out into the air. False appearance of security makes people feel protected while they aren't. (I'm explaining my coronavirus reference)

The buttons on the doors don't work when locked externally; this effectively prevents a wedge-and-long-reach application from unlocking the doors; wedge-and-long-reaches do not generally provide the leverage to pull the handle open or the space required to remove it; given the nature of the Metris's doors (the wide space of the rear of the door would make it difficult to have enough space at the fulcrum to work a long reach through there) I don't think would work at all. Its easy to simply smash the window, of course, but if you have a divider, you still couldn't unlock the rear doors.

A puck lock of most manufacturers (especially MasterLock, btw) can be defeated with a rake attack in somewhere between 5 and 30 seconds, and I can single-pin-pick most common 5-pin cores in under 30 seconds. I am NOT an expert on picking locks; I'm not even particularly good at it. What your puck lock does is provides almost no additional security while suggesting that you have something worth securing.

Were I nefarious and interested in breaking into a van, I would look for vans that had extra security like that. I would pick and defeat the puck lock quietly and quickly, and then figure out how to get into the vans locks itself, possibly by simply breaking the window. Properly designed, a puck lock can provide excellent security; improperly designed, its just an incentive to steal something.

If you want to use a puck lock, I suggest one like this: Mul-t-lock Interactive+ TR100 "Hockey Puck" Padlock | Mul-T-Lock Web Shop; That lock will provide some really useful security. Any idiot can pick a slick lock; very few people can pick a mul-t-lock interactive pin-in-pin dimple lock, and almost nobody can do it in under several minutes. The people that can have better things to go and break into than the hypothetical possibility of valuable cargo in your van.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts