Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey,

I am hoping I can install some cargo track (which is on the way) to my side sliding door.

I am completely open to immobilizeing this door/welding it shut/never allowing it to be used again... etc. if that helps.

If I were to rivet some cargo track on to my door as is would I be risking my cargo if I were to strap cargo to that door?

Thanks

Mark amber

·
Registered
292 Posts
I have all of the composite panels off in the back of my cargo Metris to insulate it for life as a camper. My van does not have any of the factory cargo tie down options installed.

On my van, neither the door or the support structure on the opposite side of the van behind the drivers seat are reinforced in the same fashion as the back third of the van, ie above the rear wheels. See option V42 in the 2016 Metris catalog, which shows the waist level cargo tie downs between the C and D pillars. Although option D50 appears to have waist level cargo tie downs all the way to the cargo partition on the drivers side (to the B pillar) so perhaps with that option factory installed there is additional reinforcement on the drivers side opposite the sliding door.

Immobilizing the door obviously won't change the structure of the door. You could some how retro fit in some reinforcement into the door but you'd certainly be on your own to determine how much it would hold. I'd be more inclined to look at fastening a support structure to the B and C pillars (on either side of the door) and then attaching your cargo track to that. That way you would not have to alter the sliding door, which might be helpful down the road for resale value.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have all of the composite panels off in the back of my cargo Metris to insulate it for life as a camper. My van does not have any of the factory cargo tie down options installed.

On my van, neither the door or the support structure on the opposite side of the van behind the drivers seat are reinforced in the same fashion as the back third of the van, ie above the rear wheels. See option V42 in the 2016 Metris catalog, which shows the waist level cargo tie downs between the C and D pillars. Although option D50 appears to have waist level cargo tie downs all the way to the cargo partition on the drivers side (to the B pillar) so perhaps with that option factory installed there is additional reinforcement on the drivers side opposite the sliding door.

Immobilizing the door obviously won't change the structure of the door. You could some how retro fit in some reinforcement into the door but you'd certainly be on your own to determine how much it would hold. I'd be more inclined to look at fastening a support structure to the B and C pillars (on either side of the door) and then attaching your cargo track to that. That way you would not have to alter the sliding door, which might be helpful down the road for resale value.
That makes sense. Thanks for the suggestion I will try to figure something out. Maybe an aluminum sheet would work!

·
Registered
200 Posts
Side anchoring of cargo is never intended to be much other than to keep the load in place under gentle conditions. Real securing of cargo (so it doesn't go through the windshield on a quick stop (like as a consequence of collision with a bridge abutment) comes from the floor. Its always that way. Look at how cargo tracks are installed on railway cars, aircraft, open trailers, etc. Sidewalls are never really intended to do much. I don't know what you are securing on the deck, but there is always a way to make it stay in place from the floor.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts