Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a freelance TV cameraman and for over 8 years have had my gear in a 2007 2500 Suburban with all the rear seats removed and replaced with shelves.

I outgrew the truck about 2 years ago and as Chevy no longer offers the 2500 (and in the current 1500 they changed the seats to "disappearing" folding units that take up a ton of space) I have been looking for a suitable replacement ever since. Enter the Metris.

I ordered it in April and picked it up a couple of weeks ago from Mercedes of Beverly Hills (great experience with Youriy Iliev if you're in LA) and have finally gotten around to moving into it.

I have the rear section installed and the section between the sliding doors is yet to come.

Shelving is a mix of 1/2 and 3/4" plywood and will get carpeted when it's all in and I'm happy with the positioning. I used the wheel arches as the base for the lower shelf just to benefit stability.

I also installed a tray for a cart on the left door - I split the door liner so I could remove the top section to get behind the lower one and deal with the bolts. It's very solid and at this point i'm not too worried about the weight - it spends most of it's time in the latched/closed position and the wall of the door seems to carry the weight easily.

I've also installed SlickLocks on the back and passenger sliding doors. They are still working out the details for the drivers side latch. I hope to have it soon.

It's swallowing a lot of gear and if the trend continues, this should be a great vehicle.

Attachments

·
Registered
151 Posts
Nice setup Brian, I've been planning a shelf spanning the wheel wells but haven't decided on a config yet. I'd like a couple inches of extra height above the wells and want it easily removable/configurable. That cart idea is awesome, gotta look into that.

Diva's, Sachtler, LosAngeles, television, gotta be a tough gig at times. Definitely see why your security conscious.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts