Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got service B for my Metris bought for more than 4 yrs in Nov 2015 and they didn't change the transmission fluid. I haven't used my van much, use the other Benz more, and only 19,400 miles on it. I asked the SA that I think the transmission oil is the same as engine oil and based on the year of using it not on the mileage, he said it didn't need to because it's more durable than the engine oil. Is he right?

BTW, here's the receipt of my $559.85 after tax for Service B:

Job # A Labor Total: $ 376.16
Cause:
Correction: MBZBASE1 PERFORM MERCEDES- BENZ OF LONG BEACH BASE SERVICE PACKAGE Tech Number: 1125 Labor Type: CSM
SOF PERFORM SYNTHETIC OIL CHANGE AND REPLACING FLEECE OIL FILTER WHILE PROTECTING ALL INTERNALLY LUBRICATED COMPONENTS AND INCREASING OVERALL ENGINE LONGEVITY
Tech Number: 1125 Labor Type: CSM
42001 PERFORM BRAKE FLUID EXCHANGE. USING DOT 4 SYNTHETIC FLUID TO REDUCE HEAT AND INCREASE MAXIMUM BRAKING PERFORMANCE
DUST1 REMOVE AND REPLACE CABIN AND DUST FILTER. CABIN FILTER REPLACEMENT HELPS REMOVE ALLERGENS AND DIRT FROM THE SYSTEM WHILE INCREASING AIR FLOW. (PARTICLE FILTER IF APPLICABLE)
07MC PERFORM FUEL INJECTION CLEANING SERVICE. CLEANING AND PROTECTING YOUR FUEL INJECTION SYSTEM FROM CARBON BUILD UP WHILE INCREASING YOUR VEHICLE PERFORMANCE
MPI PERFORM 25 +POINT INSPECTION. CHECKING ALL MAJOR COMPONENTS INCLUDING VISUAL F&R BRAKES & ROTORS. CHECK TIRE CONDITION & ADJUST CHECK BELTS, HOSES GASKETS &FITTINGS CHECK UNDER CARRIAGE BELLY PANS AXELS ALL MAJOR SUSPENSION ITEMS TOP OFF FLUIDS
116 MERCEDES-BENZ OF LONG BEACH PROVIDES A COMPLIMENT COURTESY VEHICLE FOR THE DURATION OF YOUR SERVICE VISIT. SEE YOUR SERVICE CONSULTANT FOR DETAILS. Tech Number: 1125 Labor Type: CSM
40I PERFORM TIRE INSPECTION FOR TREAD WEAR, CHECK AND INFLATE TIRES AS PER MANUFACTURER'S SPECIFICATIONS
Part Number Part Description Qty List Parts Total: $ 162.72
270-180-01-09 TS OIL FILTER ELEMENT 1 $ 13.60 $ 13.60
007603-014106 SEAL 1 $ 2.89 $ 2.89
RING,VLRUB
000-989-79-02-19- BIFU MB 229.5 SAE 5W-40 BULK 8 $ 5.13 $ 41.04
61131-01 WINDSHIELD WASHER SOLVENT 1 $ 4.89 $ 4.89
01061-01 FUEL INJECTOR CLEANER 1 $ 29.75 $ 29.75
06012-01 BRAKE FLUID DOT 4 1 $ 29.75 $ 29.75
447-830-00-00 COMBINATION FILTER 1 $ 40.80 $ 40.80
19418 BASE SERVICE PER CUSTOMER REQUEST BASE SERVICE. OIL AND FILTER CHANGE DRAIN ENGINE OIL REPLACE OIL FILTER ADD 7.4 QUARTS OIL REPLACE COMBINATION FILTER ADD FUEL SYSTEM CLEANED. TOP OFF ALL FLUIDS INSPECT LINE AND HOSES OK INSPECT BRAKES FRONT PADS @ 10.0MM REAR 6.0 MM INSPECT TIRES CONDITION OK FRONT @ 3.0MM REAR 3.0MM SET TIRES [email protected] FRONT 44 REAR 45 PSI PER DOOR PLACARD RESET SERVICE LIGHT ROAD TEST VEHICLE MILES OUT 19418

Job # B Labor Total: No Charge
PERFORM 25 +POINT INSPECTION. CHECKING ALL MAJOR COMPONENTS INCLUDING VISUAL F&R BRAKES & ROTORS. CHECK TIRE CONDITION & ADJUST CHECK BELTS, HOSES GASKETS &FITTINGS CHECK UNDER CARRIAGE BELLY PANS AXELS ALL MAJOR SUSPENSION ITEMS TOP OFF FLUIDS
Cause: Correction: MPI PERFORM 25 +POINT INSPECTION. CHECKING ALL MAJOR COMPONENTS INCLUDING VISUAL F&R BRAKES & ROTORS. CHECK TIRE CONDITION & ADJUST CHECK BELTS, HOSES GASKETS &FITTINGS CHECK UNDER CARRIAGE BELLY PANS AXELS ALL MAJOR SUSPENSION ITEMS TOP OFF FLUIDS
Tech Number: 1125 Labor Type: I
Part Number Part Description Qty List Parts Total: No Charge
Job # B Total $ 0.00
Job # C Labor Total: No Charge
PERFORM TIRE INSPECTION FOR TREAD WEAR, CHECK AND INFLATE TIRES AS PER MANUFACTURER'S SPECIFICATIONS
Cause:
Correction: 40I PERFORM TIRE INSPECTION FOR TREAD WEAR, CHECK AND INFLATE TIRES AS PER MANUFACTURER'S SPECIFICATIONS
Tech Number: 1125 Labor Type: I
Job # C Total $ 0.00

Job # D Labor Total: No Charge
PERFORM COURTESY CAR WASH ($15.99 VALUE)
Cause:
Correction: WASH PERFORM COURTESY CAR WASH ($15.99 VALUE) Tech Number: 99 Labor Type: I
Job # D Total $ 0.00

Job # E Labor Total: No Charge
INFORMATION LINE ONLY FOR PNW AND SPECIAL TOOLS
Cause:
Correction: TOOLS INFORMATION LINE ONLY FOR PNW AND SPECIAL TOOLS Tech Number: 99 Labor Type: I Part Number Part Description Qty List Parts Total: No Charge
Job # E Total $ 0.00

Miscellaneous
Job # PO # Description
A MIS OIL HAZARDOUS WASTE DISPOSAL FEES
A MIS BRAKE FLUID HAZARDOUS WASTE DISPOSAL FEES
Miscellaneous Total: $ 5.51

RO Comments
CUSTOMER REQUESTED A LOANER BDC APPT CREATED 20
20-01-21 01:45:00PM TAKEN BY DAISY TORRES
Amount Totals
Total Labor: $ 376.16
Total Parts: $ 162.72
Gas, Oil, Lube + Sublet + Misc: $ 5.51
Sales Tax: $ 15.46
Shop Supplies: $ 0.00

Customer Total: $ 559.85

·
Registered
359 Posts
He is correct...it's not needed until the specified mileage. The transmission does not have to deal with blow by and condensation that a internal combustion engine deals with. The transmission is a very clean place. I would however change it at 45k or so as the book calls for and I think 75k from then on. I changed mine at 50k and it was just about as clean as the new fluid. I've gone 150,000 miles on my BMW transmission and it didn't look to bad. I think the injector cleaning is a bunch of BS, but everything seems normal.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I spoke with a dealer in NYC and they quoted me $899 for the Service B with no transmission service. He says it is not necessary at this time. I also spoke with a local German car mechanic shop and they quoted $380 for the same Service B with no transmission service. They said not until 45k for trans service. What are your thoughts on this? I am not sure what to do because the manual states trans service with the first Service B.

·
Registered
10 Posts
fwiw - SA at the local dealer quoted $400 for trans fluid change at 30K - said that's the recommended mileage . I specifically said I would handle the oil chg, inspections, etc etc ( or my local garage - which didn't want to touch the trans but did the rest ) .

·
Registered
900 Posts
I better start racking up some my miles if the dealer's free Service "B" is going to u-scray me out of the trans fluid change.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Yeesh, $559....for brake fluid change ($35).....oil change ($75-80), cabin filters (~$40).....fuel injector cleaner (not really even necessary...)..and looking things over..... This is why I DIY....including the trans.

They charged you for windshield washer fluid?!

I've had my Metris 2.4 years and its never been to a shop.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeesh, $559....for brake fluid change ($35).....oil change ($75-80), cabin filters (~$40).....fuel injector cleaner (not really even necessary...)..and looking things over..... This is why I DIY....including the trans.

They charged you for windshield washer fluid?!

I've had my Metris 2.4 years and its never been to a shop.
I guess you replied to my post so yes, I know it's expensive but other dealers cost more. And the most important thing is I don't want to DIY in case something wrong under ELW they will deny by saying those services weren't done by authorized dealers.

Just a little more than two years when ELW is expired I'll consider DIY or get a new one. Or sell it if the cyber truck would satisfy my needs:)

·
Registered
900 Posts
I guess you replied to my post so yes, I know it's expensive but other dealers cost more. And the most important thing is I don't want to DIY in case something wrong under ELW they will deny by saying those services weren't done by authorized dealers.

Just a little more than two years when ELW is expired I'll consider DIY or get a new one. Or sell it if the cyber truck would satisfy my needs:)
DIY is not bad at all. The procedure looks just like what I used to do on the '99 Eurovan. The trick is to invest in the right tubes, pumps and tools. Once my ELW expires I'll be full-on DIY maintenance. Electro-mechanical diagnostics? -- best left to a pro unless it's obvious.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Its straight forward but lengthy. Trans has to be at proper temperature, and the most difficult part is having the car up, but level (car level, not pan on transmission)...with a lift this is easy, without one its a bit more challenging. And you do need the proper pressurized bottom-fill fluid system, and everything needs to stay squeaky clean the entire time.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts