Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I called around for quote of Service B of my other Benz and one dealer told me $299 or $399 with brake & fluid change so I made an appointment this morning. When doing paper works I asked the service advisor I don't need the brake & fluid change and take the $299 deal, he was surprised and pointed on his screen it's $875. I told them a lady (forgot her name) gave me a quote for $299 to make an appointment but now the price is almost three times as much. I was about to leave to a different dealer and he told me to wait to see what he can do. After clicking around on his computer he said he'll do $475 included brake & fluid. I started to negotiate to the final price $450 After Tax. This is my first time negotiating the service cost.

So can I trust them to work exactly what Service B needed to be done or not after this? Or they just reset the maintenance message?

·
Registered
45 Posts
I wonder if they were adding the tranny service to the B. $875 seems insane to me. I also thought that replacing the brake fluid was part of the B service (along with a new cabin air filter).

·
Registered
75 Posts
I'm getting the Service B done tomorrow along with the Fuel Line Recall check. I hope the it's not going to be $875! My Service A was $264.42 at Mercedes of Seattle.

What have other people paid for the Service B?

·
Registered
939 Posts
So can I trust them to work exactly what Service B needed to be done or not after this? Or they just reset the maintenance message?
Really?

First off as a tech, I don't give a **** what the advisor told the customer. If I am told to do a service and change such and such fluid, that's what I do.
If they told you $299 or whatever, tell them you need to speak to the manager and you were misquoted.
If you don't trust the dealership, I'm sure a jiffy lube would be happy to take your money and maybe change your oil.

·
Registered
397 Posts
They probably had the transmission service in there....that by itself hovers in the 400-500 range at most dealers/shops for the 722.9 transmission. Its a time consuming process and the fluid (made by elves in a deep part of the black forest) is quite costly.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I am considering the purchase of a 2018 Metris cargo. Mercedes is including 2 services (A & B) with the purchase of any new 2018 cargo van. Looking at the "Vancare " maintenance schedule it looks like the second service includes transmission fluid & filter as well as brake fluid replacement, along with several other items. Does anyone know if the B service includes the transmission service? Is it up to each dealer to decide if it is included?
I was inquiring about a 2016 cargo van with 35,000 miles that was a service loaner and had never been titled. The Mercedes dealer (who had done all of the maintenance on the vehicle) did not do a transmission service and said it was "recommended but not required"? He wanted $500.00 for the transmission service.

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
$500 for the tranny service is a tad higher than my dealer but it’s really about par. I would do it if i were you.

If the kinds of money spent by members on maintenance scares you, European vehicles are probably not your bag. Some of it is scummy dealers, but even with a good honest dealer you are still going to find the cost of service a heavy burden, i think.

·
Registered
587 Posts
I am considering the purchase of a 2018 Metris cargo. Mercedes is including 2 services (A & B) with the purchase of any new 2018 cargo van. Looking at the "Vancare " maintenance schedule it looks like the second service includes transmission fluid & filter as well as brake fluid replacement, along with several other items. Does anyone know if the B service includes the transmission service? Is it up to each dealer to decide if it is included?
I was inquiring about a 2016 cargo van with 35,000 miles that was a service loaner and had never been titled. The Mercedes dealer (who had done all of the maintenance on the vehicle) did not do a transmission service and said it was "recommended but not required"? He wanted $500.00 for the transmission service.
I received the two-year Service A/B incentive on my 2018 135 WB cargo van. Service B includes the transmission fluid change. Here's what the website says I got -- I'm guessing the incentive was worth about $800-900:

‡2-year complimentary scheduled maintenance
services available on Mercedes-Benz Metris Vans MY18, excluding Metris WORKER models. Services include one A Service and one B Service. 1-year complimentary scheduled maintenance services available on Metris WORKER MY 18. Services include one A Service. Customer will receive voucher coupon in mail for 1-year scheduled maintenance offer. Offer excludes fleet vehicles. Must take delivery of vehicle by February 28, 2019. See your authorized Mercedes-Benz Vans dealer for complete details.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I live a good distance from a MB dealer - takes me some planning and at least a month leadtime to get there what with work and family schedules.

Any idea how long I can let B Service ride? - vehicle just started telling me B service is overdue the other day (seems like the time, rather than distance counter ticked over as I was previously shown a good many more clicks before service was needed.

I'm trying to postpone it as long as possible being busy at work and all.

Thanks in advance for any guidance or suggestions.

·
Registered
209 Posts
IMHO Go according to miles, not time. A lot of these sat on the lot for long periods before sold (like mine) we have owned ours for a little over 2 years and do not even have 5K miles yet and we have not done any service. You can reset the light when you start by pressing the button on the gauges

·
Registered
9 Posts
I just had the prepaid/included B service done on my passenger Metris and it included the tranny fluid change (also had the gas line recall/replacement done). When I brought the van to the same dealer for the A service last year they claimed no knowledge of any A/B service included - even after I showed them the incentive on their own web site. Took them an hour to give the go-ahead to do it for free, but they were not happy. This time they were happy to do the B as prepaid/included but it took the guy seven (7) hours, but that included his lunch break - they told me it took him a long time to do the recall and tranny fluid - I don't think they service many Metris vans - everyone kept calling it a sprinter (I have a sprinter too that I get serviced there).

My B service was almost 2,000 miles overdue.

·
Registered
587 Posts
I have the same documentation issue with the Service A/B and my 7/120 ELW. The dealer did send me copies of pages -- partially unsigned -- and saying "for your records" for both the incentive and ELW. I've been assuming (or was told -- don't recall) I'll get something in the email from MB on the ELW???

·
Registered
74 Posts
The Metris Maintenance Booklet I got with my 2016 cargo says "Automatic transmission: oil and filter change / Once as part of the first Service B, subsequently every 75,000 miles (Z1)". I got my first service B at 13,000 miles and looking back at the receipt, no trans oil change was done. I called my service advisor and he's checking on why. I just had my second B done and they charged me $750 ($445 labor, $250 parts) with no trans oil change but a brake fluid flush.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Metrispopup, it's probably good they didn't do it at 13k, there is no need to. I went over on mine, went to 40,000 miles and the fluid looked great. I think they assume these vans get worked more than they do. And some might.

·
Registered
587 Posts
Metrispopup, it's probably good they didn't do it at 13k, there is no need to. I went over on mine, went to 40,000 miles and the fluid looked great. I think they assume these vans get worked more than they do. And some might.
I don't think the early initial flush is a function of expected workload. Ordinarily I'd think it's insurance against manufacturing contamination causing accelerated wear, hence the 30k then 75k thereafter approach.

But I've been a little surprised by the 30k figure. If indeed it's about contamination, 30k seems too long.

There is a possibility, although I have absolutely no basis for saying this, that the early 30k flush is not about metallic contamination. Instead, it is at least conceivable that the factory fluid or assembly process uses different break-in lubricants or assembly compounds that won't stand up to the 75k interval or which have other physical or chemical properties that you wouldn't want in your engine more than 30k or 2 years.

Who knows why the early 1st trans fluid change?

·
Registered
295 Posts
I don't think the early initial flush is a function of expected workload. Ordinarily I'd think it's insurance against manufacturing contamination causing accelerated wear, hence the 30k then 75k thereafter approach.

But I've been a little surprised by the 30k figure. If indeed it's about contamination, 30k seems too long.

There is a possibility, although I have absolutely no basis for saying this, that the early 30k flush is not about metallic contamination. Instead, it is at least conceivable that the factory fluid or assembly process uses different break-in lubricants or assembly compounds that won't stand up to the 75k interval or which have other physical or chemical properties that you wouldn't want in your engine more than 30k or 2 years.

Who knows why the early 1st trans fluid change?
I would agree with you if this was a special or different transmission, but it's the same transmission they use in different platforms. Most of those are 75,000 for first fluid change.

·
Registered
13 Posts
You know you guys have really got to get a life, getting your transmission oil changed at 30 k. If this is Mercedes, then this is b.s. First off all no where does it say to change the oil that early in the manual. Second of all I just spoke with the guy from the service dept and he said 30 k is rediculous! 75k is about right and you could even possibly go to 100k. I have never done this on any of the vehicles I have ever owned, including a high end sports car I once owned. He told me all they do is check the magnet and change oil, and a lot of the times the magnet looks good. So my advice, don’t waste your money.

·
Registered
397 Posts
30k is likely due to the possibility the vehicle is undergoing heavy usage. In comparison MB lists the first change for the exact same transmission in my GLK as 60k. However, changing it early is not going to hurt anything.

·
Registered
587 Posts
You know you guys have really got to get a life, getting your transmission oil changed at 30 k. If this is Mercedes, then this is b.s. First off all no where does it say to change the oil that early in the manual. Second of all I just spoke with the guy from the service dept and he said 30 k is rediculous! 75k is about right and you could even possibly go to 100k. I have never done this on any of the vehicles I have ever owned, including a high end sports car I once owned. He told me all they do is check the magnet and change oil, and a lot of the times the magnet looks good. So my advice, don’t waste your money.
My van is part of my life!

You're way off on early fluid changes. I've had occasion to rebuild four engines as a "hobbyist." Break-in periods and early fluid/filter changes are SOP (or were far more frequently in decades past). Admittedly, unleaded fuel, electronic engine management via CAN bus, and far better engine/trans manufacturing have reduced the need to be overly *nal about break in. But I respect the fact that MB has specific break in and fluid change intervals. So with my experience, I guess I am less suspect of MB that than you.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Still think it’s b.s. I have not done oil changes like others do many times prolonging them, andthat’s using synthetic. And not once was something on my vehicle related to changing oil, or brake oil as much as I should have. Yet this is what typically went. A coolant pump, can you service those??? Not really. Leaky oil gaskets, can you service those?? Serpentine belt??? Radiator, - depends. On bmw’s it’s plastic connection to rad. - again no real service for that. Electrical window motors?? These are just things that go and you really don’t know exactly when. Again I have yet to see a vehicle of mine fail because I waited 5 k too long with an oil change or something of that matter.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts